[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Q1 in the books

gilthorp

After tonight, a quarter of the season will be over. Time flies.

I don't see a lot of difference from last year, except for a few teams slipping. As always, if you have a very strong defense, you're going to go far this year.

NFC East - will be just as crazy last year as this year, but it will not be just one team that makes the playoffs from this division. Philly/Dallas both surprises with rookie QB's. Any fan of a team with a bad QB, you are jealous of this. Both of these teams have the strongest D's in the division, or so it would seem. If the Eagles throttling of Pittsburgh was for real, watch out.

NFC North - two team race and it's not even close. If the Vikings defense can stay healthy, this is an easy division for them to take. To do this without their franchise QB is a testament to the early Coach of the Year candidate here. GB might get dangerous, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them make a big run with 3 home games in a row, on the road with ATL, and then a soft schedule for another 3 weeks. The Vikes will need to keep it up.

NFC South - Atlanta is one of those surprise teams for sure, but I don't see Carolina going away. If the Falcons can stand tough on the road against the Broncos and Seahawks, we'll know so much more. But, I think 3-3 and coming back down to earth is expected. Rivera will need to turn this around though, and didn't expect the loss of Josh Norman to hurt their defense so much.

NFC West - The Rams schedule is pretty soft and nobody expected them to peel off 3 straight, and they can really hang with the Seahawks. But, the Seahawks defense is much better. There's no doubt they are the class of the division, and something is broken in AZ. It might stay close to a point, and Seattle has some tough tests up the road. We can't expect LA to keep this up, can we?

Early playoff contenders - PHI/DAL/MIN/GB/CAR/SEA

AFC East - Another Coach of the Year candidate here with unproven QB's and 3 wins. NE's defense is once again under rated and I don't think there's another team in this division that will come close to the title here. Rex is Rex, and he can do one week wonders I guess, but the Bills and Jets are out manned. If there is a team that might turn it around here, I'll say it's the Jets, only to fall short and break hearts once again. When will someone seriously challenge NE for this division?

AFC Central - slugfest Central once again. Probably the best division in the league year in and year out, with three very good teams. So who has the best defense? Although the Steelers show flashes of excellence a few times a year, their defense is not as stout, and I'd be leery of their ability to win crucial games on the road. I believe the opposite of the Ravens. They can go into any stadium and shut down a team, but their offense lacks the punch. Cincy needs to prove they can go down the stretch and win anywhere. There's no doubt this division will go down to the last 2 weeks. Great division!

AFC South - the antithesis of the Central. Maybe the worst and one that Houston, with or without Watt should run away with. Pretty much a cupcake schedule and a ton of talent. Could a QB be more disappointing than Mariota so far? The book is out on this kid with no real field stretchers - they aren't a threat. INDY looks lost and they are in desperate need of a game breaking RB, because without that, Luck has no fall back plan. Horrible team. JAX may surprise still, they could make a nice run here now and running off 3 in a row after their bye is not out of the question.

AFC West - so Oakland wins on the road. That's a mark of a team that is starting to get it. The whole division runs through the Denver defense, and the problem is, nobody can. When will they lose? Their schedule is very favorable, and their formula is battle tested. Chargers and Chiefs are good teams, and one may make a run, so I would choose the Chiefs. Oakland hosts both of these guys in the next two weeks - so it will make more sense soon.

Early playoff contenders: NE/BAL/PITT/CIN/HOU/DEN

Maybe one of those teams in the Central gets passed by KC.

So the same good teams are still good - and people say it's a league of parity. While this is true, it's also a league of mediocrity. There are so many bad teams and so much bad football.

Right now, the surprises are Atlanta, Oakland, Minnesota, and Philadelphia.

The disappointments are Indianapolis, Carolina, and Arizona.

My team is going nowhere, so I can't really do much but try to find some good stories, follow teams that appear to be well coached, and have good story lines. I'll be looking for the Vikings, Raiders, Eagles, and Denver. I would not be shocked to see NE/DEN and CAR/SEA in the end. :yawn:

I nominate Zooty to take on the Q2 in the books in 4 weeks.

• Like 6

Baltimore is soft. They went 3-0 beating up on garbage teams. The 3-1 Raiders are more dangerous. They do have some talent on D, and eventually that D will play better, but that offense run through Carr will keep them in every game.

Edited by MTSuper7

Chiefs played like manure for 3 quarters of week 1, all of week 2, all of week 4, and got week 3's game handed to them on a silver platter. Will be a rough season if they can't miraculously pull it together like they did last year.

Chiefs played like manure for 3 quarters of week 1, all of week 2, all of week 4, and got week 3's game handed to them on a silver platter. Will be a rough season if they can't miraculously pull it together like they did last year.

They will be fine. You have the greatest coach who has never won anything .

:notbitter:

Golly, that cross-state beat-down the Iggles put on the Stillers could have been the perfect impetus for the old black n' gold. Man, the Steelers looked so darn good the other night. Incredible. And their D will be "good enough". Did you know that all of their away games are in the Eastern time zone? Hardly any travel. That means a lot.

Honestly I think we're looking at a Steeler / Viking Super Bowl.

Honestly I think we're looking at a Steeler / Viking Super Bowl.

I would have no problem with this. Top ranked offense vs. top ranked defense. Would love to see it happen.