[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gronk to have back surgery

pegos

:bash:

This dude just cannot stay healthy.

From Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk reports Rob Gronkowski will undergo back surgery on Friday.
Per the Buffalo News, Gronk has a "ruptured disk," and will be sidelined roughly eight weeks. It's a devastating blow for the Super Bowl-or-bust Patriots, and will be the third known back operation of Gronk's football playing career. Gronk also went under the knife in 2009 and 2013. If Gronk returns this season, it would probably only be for a theoretical Super Bowl appearance. The Pats have already designated a player to return from injured reserve, so that option is out the window. Martellus Bennett will be a weekly TE1 in his absence. Gronk, who turns 28 in May, has been indestructible even as he weathers injury after injury and surgery after surgery, but at some point, it's going to take a toll. Dec 1 - 1:33 PM

Interesting it's from Buffalo. :thinking:
Glad I went big and traded for Eifert AND Walker in the league I have Gronk (1-3 TE). And have Bennett in another where TE has been an issue for me.
Hope the guy gets right and is a HEALTHY beast in '17.
Edited by darin3

good riddance... he killed me this year in TE bonus leagues

While I won't go to that extreme, I will say that maybe this is a cloud/silver lining type of thing. He'll be out 8 weeks (supposedly), which means he's probably not coming back this season. Unless by some miracle the Pats make the SB without him (I guess it's possible), but he'd only have a week-ish to prepare. I'm hoping they just shut him down regardless, giving him these two months AND the off-season to get right.

Are the Patriots still the AFC favorite for the Super Bowl now?

Probably but they're not so far ahead of OAK/DEN/KC or even PIT/BAL. I don't think any AFC South team has a chance, but those others do. Will be interesting to see how they look the next few weeks. They'll struggle against better defenses that can get a pash rush.

Mitchell was a good pickup before this, he'll vanish now in most leauges.

As for his health, I forgot he played almost all of 2015 (15 games), he also played in 15 games in 2014, but only started 10, did miss more than half of 2013 and 5 games in 2012. Wonder if he is finally going to be too banged up to rebound. Sometimes on the field he looks like a cyborg with that big brace on his arm.

If you're looking for someone who benefits here, it's not Edelman or Mitchell. It's Chris Hogan.

Gronk LED THE LEAGUE in yards per catch. A tight end. :lol:

Just behind Gronk in that same stat? That's right. Hogan.

Edelman and Mitchell may become a bit more involved - especially within the red zone. But I wouldn't automatically assume those guys get a major bump in production with Gronk out.

If Bennett is healthy he will step in, with Hogan also getting more deep looks.

If you're looking for someone who benefits here, it's not Edelman or Mitchell. It's Chris Hogan.

Gronk LED THE LEAGUE in yards per catch. A tight end. :lol:

Just behind Gronk in that same stat? That's right. Hogan.

Edelman and Mitchell may become a bit more involved - especially within the red zone. But I wouldn't automatically assume those guys get a major bump in production with Gronk out.

If Bennett is healthy he will step in, with Hogan also getting more deep looks.

but you didnt check in on my Chris Hogan thread tho

remember ?

:rofl: