[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adios Jeff Fisher!

darin3

He's been taking a fairly good beating on local radio, as he should. In fact I think he probably got more leeway than he should have. Absolutely no creativity on offense. In fact, Todd Gurley said something to the effect of "it looks like a high school JV offense". Seriously.

They need to draft at least 2 big-name WRs with whatever picks they may have in the higher rounds. Their defense can be suffocating. They have probably one of the best defenders in the league in Aaron Donald. They should draft zero defensive players this summer. All WRs. Let the cream rise to the top. Tavon Austin is a gimmick. Kenny Britt is a decent vet but should not be a team's #1. Pharoh Cooper needs to develop.

He's been taking a fairly good beating on local radio, as he should. In fact I think he probably got more leeway than he should have. Absolutely no creativity on offense. In fact, Todd Gurley said something to the effect of "it looks like a high school JV offense". Seriously.

They need to draft at least 2 big-name WRs with whatever picks they may have in the higher rounds. Their defense can be suffocating. They have probably one of the best defenders in the league in Aaron Donald. They should draft zero defensive players this summer. All WRs. Let the cream rise to the top. Tavon Austin is a gimmick. Kenny Britt is a decent vet but should not be a team's #1. Pharoh Cooper needs to develop.

I agree they desperately need offensive playmakers, but I think they need to focus on their offensive line. No matter how great a QB or RB (as we've seen with Gurley) might be, if the O-line can't block, NO ONE looks good or produces. Most importantly they have to get some qualified o-line teachers and coaching in there, otherwise those picks will be wasted.

• Like 2

Is Goff the next Alex Smith or just destined to be a bust?

As much as it pains me to say it, Alex has actually had some success as a game manager. What's the wash out tier now a days? I'd say Ryan Leaf, but I don't think its accurate as I see this going down the "we gave him 3 years but he never had enough talent or coaching around him tier". :shrug:

Edited by Def.

so was the "extension" cheaper for the team than the buyout on his previous contract? Is that the thinking? if so, makes sense!

Also, ownership really needs to question management... why would you spend a 1st on a QB if you weren't completely sold on the HC and coaching staff?

I think back to Jason Campbell who had a new coach and system every year and his career suffered for it. I'm sure there are more recent examples, but there ya go.

Is Goff the next Alex Smith or just destined to be a bust?

Heath Schuler under Spurrier was another rookie QB that didn't have a chance because of coaching.

• Like 1

I agree they desperately need offensive playmakers, but I think they need to focus on their offensive line. No matter how great a QB or RB (as we've seen with Gurley) might be, if the O-line can't block, NO ONE looks good or produces. Most importantly they have to get some qualified o-line teachers and coaching in there, otherwise those picks will be wasted.

They have a couple of pretty good OL. That said, you're right. They do need to spend some picks on OL. That's where it all starts. So, I will amend my initial thought. They need to go heavy at WR and OL. Maybe grab another TE in case Higbee doesn't pan out.

I'd rather see them focus on o-line next year. They drafted a bunch of WRs and 2 TEs this year. I agree they need a true #1 WR. Britt is an okay #2 and Austin is okay as a gimmick player but they need a big #1 WR. They could also use a TE who doesn't let every other pass clank off his his chest....maybe Higbee will play better next year?

Edited by Trojanmojo

Wasn't the offense dumbed down so that #1 overall pick Goff could figure it out?

Had to laugh at all the "but didn't he just get an extension" remarks, including as part of various headlines on the story about him being fired. Apparently everybody missed the stories that said "that was done back in the spring and just recently announced/leaked."

I did like how Fisher told some reporters a few ago (before news of extension got out) that he wasn't worried. He probably still isn't as he can collect a fat contract from Kroenke for the next 2+ years.

I doubt the Rams turn things around quickly, the problems go deeper than Fisher, since their draft picks have been underwhelming, and they moved to LA with a coach they had many questions about (confidence somewhere between "fire him" and "extend his contract")

Overall the team has been bad, but somehow they had the Seahawks number beating them 3 straight times over the last 2 years.

• Like 1

I did miss that the extension was done in the spring, but management still needs firing. Extension or not, you don't use the #1 pick on a QB unless you are completely confident on your coaching staff. Now anyone who is remotely qualified will say that they want the final decision on whether or not Goff is the future.

The only way you can force a HC to commit to Goff is if the HC isn't qualified enough to make such demands. Then what? Then you have a HC who isn't as qualified?

Rams are screwed. At least they have no fans to upset. St Louis fans can laugh and LA fans can go back to rooting for Oak or SF :P

LA Fans never rooted for SF. You might be thinking SD?

The Rams aren't screwed. This season is but sooner or later every dog has it's day. They have talent to work with. They just need to find a good coach and get better on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like 2