[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adios Jeff Fisher!

darin3

He may be the favorite now, but personally I can't stand him. He's a mess as a HC. I think he should stay in NE and wait to inherit the thrown from BB.

They will throw a ton of money at Gruden to entice him to come back. As it stands now, he's signed through 2021 at ESPN and is the highest paid their at $7M per. I bet he offers to pay that as well.

All the talking heads at ESPN and on local radio keep saying McDaniels is going to just sit with the Pats until Belichick is done.

If Gruden thinks that Kroenke will throw cash not only at him but at bigger-name FAs then I think there's a decent chance of getting Gruden out of the booth. But really, Gruden hasn't coached in what... 8 years? And for being a supposed "QB whisperer" his track record developing QB talent wasn't that great.

I think it might end up being Kyle Shanahan. There's "name value" there, as well as the ability to work with young QBs. Maybe they hire pops as a special consultant or something.

I dont understand the Rams' interest in Gruden. He won with Dungys players in Tampa and then that team started to suck more and more the longer he was there, until he got fired. Why would he be any better 8 years later?

It's the name. Same way with Cowher.

Linehan probably isn't splashy enough to got to LA, but imo will be a HC next yr or the yr after somewhere

Mmkay, we can file this under "you'll believe it when you see it", kinda like the Rams moving to LA in the first place, yeah?

Yes, because "boy cries wolf too often" applies to both scenarios. If you'd rather believe the yearly rumor that Cowher/Gruden/whoever is returning to coaching that is your choice.

You guys can all laugh and point and call me names, I tend to use logic and reason and don't rely on rumors and BS sports talk. I don't find that to be harmful, and prefer it to wasting my time discussing highly unlikely scenarios. So many BS rumors flying with coaching changes that its just easier to sift through it by ignoring the nonsense like "maybe the Browns can hire Cowher...".

• Like 1

All the talking heads at ESPN and on local radio keep saying McDaniels is going to just sit with the Pats until Belichick is done.

If Gruden thinks that Kroenke will throw cash not only at him but at bigger-name FAs then I think there's a decent chance of getting Gruden out of the booth. But really, Gruden hasn't coached in what... 8 years? And for being a supposed "QB whisperer" his track record developing QB talent wasn't that great.

I think it might end up being Kyle Shanahan. There's "name value" there, as well as the ability to work with young QBs. Maybe they hire pops as a special consultant or something.

Well then it must be because the salamis have spoken...

I get it, you guys all listen to lots of sports talk, and take what they feed you as near fact instead of the rumors that they are. I guess being wrong 75% of the time is ok for them because they are paid "experts".

Kyle Shannahan, now there is a realistic possibility that I can get behind. Of course he shouldn't have been pushed out as OC in Cleveland but that is another story...

• Like 1

The Shanahan dad/son duo is being talked up here, actually.

And Gruden's name keeps coming up. There are a few guys on the "official Rams radio network" who are 100% convinced Gruden will take the job, and may be taking it in less than 2 weeks.

I think the Shanahans would be great hire for any team, wish the Browns hadn't kicked Kyle out as OC couple years ago.

So Gruden to LA because the radio guys say so, even though he says he is not returning to coaching?

I think the Shanahans would be great hire for any team, wish the Browns hadn't kicked Kyle out as OC couple years ago.

So Gruden to LA because the radio guys say so, even though he says he is not returning to coaching?

My god, dude. You don't have to "listen to sports talk radio all the time" to realize that people say this kind of thing all the time. He has said "AT THIS POINT I don't think I'm going to return to coaching".

Kinda like when Nick Saban point-blank told the Miami media he would not be taking the Alabama job, and two weeks later he was the HC at Alabama.

Dude, it's called "leverage". He's saying these things to increase either a] his potential earnings with the Rams or b] positioning/financial compensation at ESPN.

I'm not saying "just because the radio guys say it" it must be true. Do you understand these guys live and breathe this stuff and know 8 billion times more than we do? They are extrapolating opinions off statements the guy has said. It's not the gospel, but it's been done before and will be done again.

Stop taking everything so literal.

Edited by darin3

Ok DUDE! Not sure what is so offensive to you that i don't want to believe rumors over Gruden's word. These guys may know a ton more about it than we do, they also have hours of airtime to fill, they need hot juicy topics to talk about. They are exptoplating him loving Goff at his QB camp into him wanting to be the coach. You want to believe them instead of his word about not returning to coaching. (And this isn't some statement he made months ago before the Rams job became available, he said it NOW since the rumors of him taking the job have started.)

Yes it could all be him using leverage, yes Nick Saban did that and there's probably some other examples, but they are small in number (of the total times it was rumored they'd go against their word). The rumors are WRONG far more often than they are right. I would hope you can see that. It is why I rarely believe them, sorry if that offends you or others who listen to sports talk and like to discuss their rumors.

• Like 1

Under Darin3's avatar...

• Interests
    taunting, then ignoring trolls
He's a d00sh, don't let him get to you. He likes to annoy people, but can't take it and gets whiny. Then plays the victim card and makes you look bad to the sycophants here.

Yes I've seen that, I don't care how others think I look honestly. I'm just fed up with "well sports talk says...." and people believing every rumor, especially when it comes to the 100th time we've heard "Gruden/Cowher/whoever is going to take this job."

• Like 1

Yes I've seen that, I don't care how others think I look honestly. I'm just fed up with "well sports talk says...." and people believing every rumor, especially when it comes to the 100th time we've heard "Gruden/Cowher/whoever is going to take this job."

I wish you clowns would stop quoting this waste of space. The ignore function works like an absolute charm until people start replying to these morans. :lol:

Steve-o, I have no problem with you my man. You are one of few people here that keep conversations fresh and interesting for the most part. :tup: But I think you sometimes start typing responses before fully understanding what people are trying to say. Maybe that's on them (or me) for not being entirely clear.

• Like 1

I wish you clowns would stop quoting this waste of space. The ignore function works like an absolute charm until people start replying to these morans. :lol:

Steve-o, I have no problem with you my man. You are one of few people here that keep conversations fresh and interesting for the most part. :tup: But I think you sometimes start typing responses before fully understanding what people are trying to say. Maybe that's on them (or me) for not being entirely clear.

No doubt I can jump to conclusions, misunderstand things, focus on some small minor inconsistency and tear into it. My analytical brain works that way, as a software developer I'm constantly looking at the "does that make sense, will it work, is there a potential problem" angle.

As far as quoting people, when I'm replying to people I quote their post, that way there is context. I don't need to ignore Lord Opie (or you) that privilege is reservered for the true tools like ITWT and A_E_f.

I don't have much problem with you either, outside of your inclination to buy sports talk so easily.

• Like 1

No doubt I can jump to conclusions, misunderstand things, focus on some small minor inconsistency and tear into it. My analytical brain works that way, as a software developer I'm constantly looking at the "does that make sense, will it work, is there a potential problem" angle.

As far as quoting people, when I'm replying to people I quote their post, that way there is context. I don't need to ignore Lord Opie (or you) that privilege is reservered for the true tools like ITWT and A_E_f.

I don't have much problem with you either, outside of your inclination to buy sports talk so easily.

Maybe passion is your disconnect? Never count out passion. It has been the undoing of many a great man.

I don't buy into sports talk easily. I understand, though, that this sort of thing is their job. If they were to ask you about software development, or me about real estate development, I would hope that they would give us the benefit of the doubt in terms of knowing what we were talking about. Do sports "talking heads" pull stuff out of their poopers from time to time? Sure, absolutely. But by and large these guys are consummate professionals that have earned the trust of those closest to the decision-makers within a certain organization.

In the case of the "Gruden will be the coach in two weeks", it was the Mason & Ireland Show. On the "home" station of the Rams here in town. Not a couple of yahoos that are looking to make names for themselves, but guys that have been in and around professional sports for decades. I am going to put at least a small bit of credence in what they say.... or at minimum the logic they used to come to their opinion.

Unlike software development, maybe, there are many, many shades of gray. Many opinions that are not always based 100% in the absolute known. Sometimes these guys use conjecture, sometimes it's "sources say". Very rarely is it just flinging poo.

I have been - at a very, very minimal level compared to these guys - involved in "the industry" for close to a decade. I provided content to this site. I provided content to a print publication in Texas. I am still a member of the FSWA (Fantasy Sportswriters Association) and will continue to be. Maybe I'm putting too much trust in these guys, but for the most part they are very, very good at what they do and trusting what they say isn't just pure conjecture.

And lastly, I'm not going to spend one more millisecond of my life discussing anything remotely related to the morans that feel the need to act like children here. They've been ignored and that's that.

• Like 1