[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Fan or overall NFL fan?

Shorttynaz

For years I saw myself as a huge fan of the NFL in general, but this past weekend I'm not sure if I just have the fantasy football blues as I'm now out of the playoffs everywhere - or if I only watch the NFL cause of fantasy football?

The morning games started yesterday at 11a and I found myself starting small projects around the house instead. My wife even asked me at like 11:15a if I'm going to watch Football? I told her no - no real interest. I found myself wondering if it's cause fantasy football is over? Is it cause the NFL playoff positioning is all but set and the teams who are going to make noise in the playoff's are already in? Is it cause the Colts are only playing to ruin their standing on the draft board and now start moving down? Is it cause the hometown Cardinals who were so hyped to start the season are out of it? Or is it a combination of all of it?

Even the game last night - I had it on but was so disinterested I was playing games on my phone and ultimately shut it off in the 2nd quarter to start watching a few episodes of The Curse of Oak Island so I can catch up on that instead.

I dunno - I suppose I'm curious if others who have nothing left (fantasywise) were still glued to the TV yesterday, or were you like me and kind of like - eh, whatever. I do think we're being so oversaturated with games now 4 days a week, it's turning into baseball - meaning if I miss today's game I can still watch tomorrows.

What say you, fantasy football losers?

• Like 1

frankly, both are pissing me off these days (i am having fine success in my leagues). i do not like the newer trends of ff and the ambiguity/poor officiating of nfl games.

What new trends in FF? I'm relatively new to this (started 2 years ago).

I have def felt my interest in games without fantasy consequences waning since I started playing FF a few years ago.

Definitely have shifted to a "fantasy" fan. Few reasons, I guess. One, "my" team (Chicago) has sucked the past several years. Hard to fully get behind your team when they lack any vision or have any super-exciting players. Alshon Jeffery, Jay Cutler... fairly disappointing to say the least. And the traditional "tough D" they've always had... non-existent. Poor or lackluster draft choices to boot.

Two, I really LOVE college football. Maybe if the NFL was on Saturdays and college was Sundays I'd feel different. But there's just something about spending the day watching games, having beers, going out at night to watch the late games, etc... just more of a "football" fan on the college side. Even with "my" team sucking wind (UT), I find watching college much more enjoyable.

Add in fantasy football... where you're not watching one NFL team per se, but your fantasy team.

On most Sundays I have whatever game is on regular TV (didn't get Red Zone this season - going to get it again next though), laptop open with tabs open to all of my leagues watching the scores go up. Typically will do laundry and other chores around the house and from time to time, errands and/or stuff with the kids.

I did - on occasion - go to a local watering hole for the 2nd half of the afternoon game and 1st half of the night game. And most Monday nights, since it's on the way home, I would go to another joint (also called The Huddle :D) for the 1st half, especially if I had players going and had a chance to pull out a victory.

If I hadn't made the playoffs in any of my leagues, there's no way in hell I would have had the TV on the NFL yesterday nor would I be stopping for a beer on my way home tonight. I was never a huge NFL fan before I started playing fantasy (I'd watch my Bears when it was a big game, but that's about it) so once my fantasy team(s) have been bounced, I'm out.

Heck, even with the NFL playoffs the only real reason I'm watching is for the "playoff leagues" that I usually get myself into. The product tends to be better football-wise, which is good.

• Like 2

What new trends in FF? I'm relatively new to this (started 2 years ago).

I have def felt my interest in games without fantasy consequences waning since I started playing FF a few years ago.

i started playing around 1991 more or less. from then until about 5-7 years ago statistical analysis seemed to hold more merit than it does now. while i like a certain amount of speculation in projecting players, we now have a league where rbbc is the norm, not the outler. we are seeing more preventative medical criteria for players (good for nfl, bad for ff) which leads to more players being held out and more questions about gtd.

we have always deal with:

-player being lost in the 1st quarter

-players getting pulled in a blow out

-game plan changes due to score (ie: running with a big lead reducing our qb's game stats, throwing from behind- bortles last year)

-bad weather games

There appears to be more unpredictable variables involved with ff now.

My overall interest in both has been going down the last few years. I think it's more to do with getting older and gaining other interests than anything. I still get excited for it every year as it approaches. I actually like putting the red zone channel on in the background and then doing projects around the house. I usually watch all the playoff games though.

Edited by Finn5033

I'm going to take a more optimistic view. Like Darin above, I am a HUGE Bears fan and normally I'm interested only in my Bears. It makes a big difference when you have a team. I was cheering like hell for my Bears vs our arch rival (Pack) and actually felt guilty cheering for Montgomery (had him in fantasy). This despite the Bears being out of the playoffs for some time. Always looking hopeful for something promising for next year in my Bears. It was worth ALL the grief over the years when the Bears won the SB in 85-86 (especially the way they did it - IMO best team ever). When you're not a bandwagon jumper and bleed with your team till the end, it pays off 10fold when they win.

Shortlynaz, I've been fortunate enough to make the finals this year but I've been in your shoes. It's a downer and I, like Darin, would probably only be watching my Bears or cheering against the Broncos (where I live now). I would only watch good matchups and, even then, not every play. I do think FF has been GREAT for the NFL. Why else would we watch with passion a game like Houston vs. Jacksonville? You're on a fantasy down brother and we've all been there. I love my Bears, like the NFL, and love playing FF with my sons (19 and 21) who I spend hours and hours with during fantasy season (a blessing in disguise)!

• Like 1

In "someone"'s words, the reason NFL is losing viewers is Kaepernick. Colin Kaepernick.

Without getting to deep into it specifics, I do believe that some of the player personalities in the league are having a negative affect on viewership. I know there have always been "bad apples" but the constant stream of arrests, cheating, and just overall chalupa attitudes does eventual wear you down. There is a definite image problem in the NFL right now.

• Like 2

Usually when August rolled around I was excited about my fantasy leagues. But the last two years I wondered if I should cut down or cut way down though. I keep two locals and do a few MFL 25 leagues ahead of my local drafts and that is about it now. (Although my son did some DFS in the first few weeks so I did that as well until I was putting in more than I was taking out. That isn't much different than doing scratch offs, pull tabs, etc. as far as I'm concerned.). I get more involved as the season progresses. By the time November rolls around I wonder why I didn't play more MFL teams. I only did three this year that have weekly management.

The NFL has become more of a money grab than a form of entertainment, imo. They play more often on more nights than ever before. That is even while players seem to get injured at an alarming rate now. They press local governments to help them build new stadiums with ultimatums yet they want to play more games in foreign countries. All for the good of the game. The cash game.

And the quality of the games are historically bad. There are a few good teams and a few bad teams but mostly just plain mediocre teams. A majority of playoff teams don't belong in the playoffs. Most teams have a few good players but they that may not be on their teams in a few years.

Edited by MikesVikes
  • Like 1

As far as Kaepernick is concerned, I watched his game yesterday quite a bit with the NFL package. Mostly because I wanted to track Carlos Hyde, Matt Ryan, and Taylor Gabriel.

If not for that I don't think I would be watching a Kaep game. I don't care what he thinks or how he's been wronged. A positive attitude would carry more weight than some guy who thinks he's been wronged or suffered some terrible tragedy. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

The OP brings up many valid points. I was definitely a bigger fan of the game when I was younger (i.e. a teenager) with no internet AND just Sunday and Monday night football. There was a magic about only being able to catch games at a certain time or be screwed. And then you would have to wait until ESPN to catch the highlights from around the league. If there was no cable, you get the newspaper the next day and look at the scores, standings, and stats. Even when your team sucked, you cheered for them.

I think a combination of games being spread out throughout the week, the internet, AND fantasy football has had an exhaustion type of effect. A part of me is relieved that the fantasy season is almost over. The hobby has made me care more about individual statistics than team performance. It has stressed me to the point it doesn't feel like a hobby any longer. I've felt my overall mood happier when "my team" wins, and more somber when they lose. But yet, I'm sure I'll start prepping early August for approximately 4-6 drafts and all hyped up for another season. It's turned into a bad drug with serious withdrawal symptoms.

Was that depressing enough?

• Like 1

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but I don't understand all this friendly banter before and after games. I want my guys to hate the other guys as much as I do. I can't stand to see guys hugging and tickling each other before the game. Can you imagine Ronnie Lott running over to tickle Micheal Irvin before the game? Jake Lambert jogging over to hug Mike Singularity. I mean come on, the game has gotten soft and I think it's because of the rule changes. Players know they are playing in a sterile game now. You don't have to have guts to go over the middle as well as talent now days. The middle of the field was no mans land and if you were tough enough to go there fine but this defenseless receiver crap is way out of hand.

If you mean mug the QB to harshly with malcontent and the evil eye you get flagged for 15 yards. I see a guy at full gate brush the helmet of the QB as he's being blocked..........flag. Come on man. This is football.

You can hardly separate a guy from the ball anymore so the game has become pass and catch, hand off and run. The hitting, not so much.

I am all for protecting players but it's gotten ridiculous. It's football. Tackle football. Professional tackle football. You want to protect them fine. Get rid of the Thursday night games and let them rest their bodies a full week before games. Provide them with lifetime medical care. Let them smoke pot instead of feeding them Opiates that are far more addictive, life changing and harmful for their bodies. Increase the 46 game day roster so you don't have to play a guy that's hurt and you can develop more players with experience. Let them hit more in practice so they can get their bodies ready for hitting (I know that was a players request but still). And for the love of God, either train the damn refs full time or get some guys who can make calls in a pinch, because the current state of referees is in shambles. It's enough to make any player or fan commit unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct and aggravated television assault.

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 2

i started playing around 1991 more or less. from then until about 5-7 years ago statistical analysis seemed to hold more merit than it does now. while i like a certain amount of speculation in projecting players, we now have a league where rbbc is the norm, not the outler. we are seeing more preventative medical criteria for players (good for nfl, bad for ff) which leads to more players being held out and more questions about gtd.

we have always deal with:

-player being lost in the 1st quarter

-players getting pulled in a blow out

-game plan changes due to score (ie: running with a big lead reducing our qb's game stats, throwing from behind- bortles last year)

-bad weather games

There appears to be more unpredictable variables involved with ff now.

This for me.

When I started playing FF owners were rewarded for doing homework week to week. Now every league site dumbs it down to the point where a person who doesn't even watch football could login and set a lineup. Everything (stats, matchups etc) is right in front of your face on your team page. Matchups are color coded, you get text updates Everytime a player sneezes etc.

I still live and die with the Cowboys every week. If they're on I'm watching. But I Freakin love the redzone. It's a fantasy players dream. Anyone that plays fantasy and has watched the redzone but says they'd rather watch whatever is on the network's on Sunday is full of crap imo

Eta: I still watch the Mon, Thurs, sun night games, but if I didn't play FF I probably wouldn't watch near as many of those games. And all the commercial breaks during these games.... watching RZ every Sunday makes these games tough to watch

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but I don't understand all this friendly banter before and after games. I want my guys to hate the other guys as much as I do. I can't stand to see guys hugging and tickling each other before the game. Can you imagine Ronnie Lott running over to tickle Micheal Irvin before the game? Jake Lambert jogging over to hug Mike Singularity. I mean come on, the game has gotten soft and I think it's because of the rule changes. Players know they are playing in a sterile game now. You don't have to have guts to go over the middle as well as talent now days. The middle of the field was no mans land and if you were tough enough to go there fine but this defenseless receiver crap is way out of hand.

If you mean mug the QB to harshly with malcontent and the evil eye you get flagged for 15 yards. I see a guy at full gate brush the helmet of the QB as he's being blocked..........flag. Come on man. This is football.

You can hardly separate a guy from the ball anymore so the game has become pass and catch, hand off and run. The hitting, not so much.

I am all for protecting players but it's gotten ridiculous. It's football. Tackle football. Professional tackle football. You want to protect them fine. Get rid of the Thursday night games and let them rest their bodies a full week before games. Provide them with lifetime medical care. Let them smoke pot instead of feeding them Opiates that are far more addictive, life changing and harmful for their bodies. Increase the 46 game day roster so you don't have to play a guy that's hurt and you can develop more players with experience. Let them hit more in practice so they can get their bodies ready for hitting (I know that was a players request but still). And for the love of God, either train the damn refs full time or get some guys who can make calls in a pinch, because the current state of referees is in shambles. It's enough to make any player or fan commit unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct and aggravated television assault.

That's my 2 cents.

I feel the same about the bolded, it doesn't really turn me off from the current game because I don't watch a lot of that pre-game and other segments where they show it. But last night I heard something I've been hearing announcers talk a lot about lately, the younger players contacting the top guys at their position to learn from them, on MNF they mentioned a LB (forget who or which team) who was contacting Kuechly and others to learn how they broke down film, and other mental aspects to the game. Would that happen in the prior eras, did players really help each learn how to be a better player (which could bite them when they play).

As for the original question, I'm more an NFL fan than fantasy, have been a football (mostly pro not college) fan long before I played fantasy football and have an interest in the game far beyond my fantasy team. I have been losing interest especially in fantasy the last few years, just feels like same old stuff, don't win often, don't have as much fun (couple years with a problem owner as commish was part of that). But I've also been losing interest in the NFL lately, in part because of my very crappy Browns team, this year I've pretty much stopped watching games (last 4-5 weeks) or expecting anything positive from the team. I don't have ST or RZ and don't really like going to bars to watch, so that means I'm often not watching any NFL until the second game, and the games just haven't been that good in those slots, as well as some primetime games.

So I find myself watching less, turning more games off after a half or less because they are over (I DVR games, usually start an hour late so I can often skip ahead and confirm result before I turn it off). Maybe the upcoming playoffs and the race to get there will help. My brother moved to Ann Arbor area some years ago and is now a Lions fan, he'll be in town for the holidays (and week 16/17 games) so I'll jump on that bandwagon with him and cheer them on.

Probably an age thing to (52) and just not as interested, too many other things to do (a bad football game isn't entertaining, so I turn it off and watch programs from my DVR).

Maybe if the Browns ever become competitive again, I'll have some renewed interest. Kind of like baseball, I hadn't watched a baseball game in a couple of years (used to go to many Indians games), then followed their run in the playoffs this year and got excited about the sport again. I follow NBA/Cavs some too the past few years, but I'm not into that until NFL is over.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but I don't understand all this friendly banter before and after games. I want my guys to hate the other guys as much as I do. I can't stand to see guys hugging and tickling each other before the game. Can you imagine Ronnie Lott running over to tickle Micheal Irvin before the game? Jake Lambert jogging over to hug Mike Singularity.

I think Jerry Rice tickling Michael Irvin is a more fair comparison, I'm just saying. ;)

The product has problems so there's that.

Fantasy is different for each of us. You can be in one league, or 80 leagues.

It's hard to be a fan when your team sucks. It's hard to be fan when a high percentage of games are poorly played. It's not so hard to start doing chores and losing interest, but that really is only going to happen when you're league dead. I stopped watching when the OAK/SD was evident it was not going to be a shootout, and the DEN/NE game was grinding away. Never saw a snap of Sunday night or Monday night as I was chasing 70 points and it was over.

For me, it's a problem with the product more so than anything else. NCAA is a better product, but I will watch every NFL Playoff game I can. When it gets to one and done football, it's really good, primarily because the sh!t teams are all gone, and it's very well played games on both sides of the ball.

GB/CHI - I'm watching, every time.

Much more a fan of the NFL than fantasy football. I check the inactives Sunday morning and make lineup adjustments as necessary, then that's it until the noon games are over. I don't even look at my opponents' lineups. I hope my guys do well and I do cheer when I see they got a big play or a touchdown or something, but not even once do I check my scores until I get home after the noon games.

I watch every Titans game no matter what. I always go to my parents' house to watch the noon games with my dad and brother (and get free lunch). They got Redzone for the first time this year, so I've been dual-watching that with the Titans game because they always play at noon. For the late games I return home and, while I don't typically watch them (unless Tennessee's involved), I do keep gametracker tabs open for each one and check them every 5-10 minutes to keep up to speed on them. Sunday night I'll do the same thing if I'm interested in the game, otherwise I'll check it much less often. Monday and Thursday I'll check maybe once or twice because of other commitments. I'll also browse these forums and the NFL and Titans subreddits pretty much every day throughout the week.

Much more a fan of the NFL than fantasy football. I check the inactives Sunday morning and make lineup adjustments as necessary, then that's it until the noon games are over. I don't even look at my opponents' lineups. I hope my guys do well and I do cheer when I see they got a big play or a touchdown or something, but not even once do I check my scores until I get home after the noon games.

I watch every Titans game no matter what. I always go to my parents' house to watch the noon games with my dad and brother (and get free lunch). They got Redzone for the first time this year, so I've been dual-watching that with the Titans game because they always play at noon. For the late games I return home and, while I don't typically watch them (unless Tennessee's involved), I do keep gametracker tabs open for each one and check them every 5-10 minutes to keep up to speed on them. Sunday night I'll do the same thing if I'm interested in the game, otherwise I'll check it much less often. Monday and Thursday I'll check maybe once or twice because of other commitments. I'll also browse these forums and the NFL and Titans subreddits pretty much every day throughout the week.

You still do quite a bit of "checking." :lol: