[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Terrelle Pryor to the Skins

DMD

Honestly surprised at the $ involved.  Don't see why teams like the Bears, Browns, or Eagles could/would not attempt to land Pryor over the ones they signed (Wheaton, Britt, T. Smith); especially with all the cap room the Bears and Browns have. 

The word is that he signed with WAS because he wants to play there and was willing to have a "show me" year. Supposedly CLE offered him more to stay and cannot fault him there.

Link

"He could've made $8 million to $9 million with the Browns if he had accepted their original offer, but was looking for a bigger deal, maybe as much as $15 million a year, a league source told cleveland.com.

But after Pryor hit the open market, a league source said the Browns removed their original offer. Instead, the Browns signed former Rams receiver Kenny Britt, 28, to a four-year deal worth $32.5 million, including $17 million guaranteed. When that happened, the Pryor offer was retracted."

Pryor's agent DR thought his market value was gonna be higher. The Browns showed him on day one, by signing Britt who posted near identical stats last year playing for the Rams, what they thought he was worth. 

They did the same thing last year with Schwartz. Offered him $7.5m a year, he wanted to test free agency, it didn't go according to plan and he tried to come back to the Browns for that $7.5 and they told him keep walking. He walked all the way to KC for a $6.3m contract. 

Edited by jamesplante11
  • Like 1

Good points jamesplante11, I had not heard about the Browns pulling that offer, but it makes sense, they spent their big WR money, may have considered signing him for less.  As for Schwartz I don't recall the part where he came back to the Browns after he went FA shopping and they pulled the offer. Many Browns fans are still angry (even after Bitonio ext, and sign Tretter and Zeittler) that they let Schwartz and Mack walk last year (Mack was not going to stay, that bridge was burned with the Farmer run Browns).

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Good points jamesplante11, I had not heard about the Browns pulling that offer, but it makes sense, they spent their big WR money, may have considered signing him for less.  As for Schwartz I don't recall the part where he came back to the Browns after he went FA shopping and they pulled the offer. Many Browns fans are still angry (even after Bitonio ext, and sign Tretter and Zeittler) that they let Schwartz and Mack walk last year (Mack was not going to stay, that bridge was burned with the Farmer run Browns).

Schwartz Link

I can't confirm where I read he tried to come back, but I know once he hit free agency they pulled their initial offer. 

On 3/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, jamesplante11 said:

Schwartz Link

I can't confirm where I read he tried to come back, but I know once he hit free agency they pulled their initial offer. 

OK, probably read that and took it with as mostly rumor, have never trusted much of what Mary Kay Cabot reports on the Browns.

Pryor and his agent thought more highly of his desirability than the NFL did. Happens. Pryor's still got some growing up to do. He's a hot head and cost a few unsportsmanlike penalties...

• Like 2

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Receiver Terrelle Pryor gave the Browns another chance after the Redskins offered him a one-year deal after all

When he came back, the Browns' original offer had been reduced, the source said.

At that point, it made more sense for Pryor to take the higher offer from the Redskins, which is worth $6 million and a chance to make $2 million more in incentives. It also included a $3 million signing bonus.

The source said Pryor wanted to return to the Browns and held out as long as he could for the Browns to increase their original offer

The Browns also really wanted to keep Pryor, and had been working to do so since training camp.

Pryor and his agents, Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, didn't accept that offer because Pryor didn't want to be locked into $8 million a year when the felt he could make more, especially if he topped his 1,000-yard season in 2017.

20 hours ago, loaf said:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Receiver Terrelle Pryor gave the Browns another chance after the Redskins offered him a one-year deal after all

When he came back, the Browns' original offer had been reduced, the source said.

At that point, it made more sense for Pryor to take the higher offer from the Redskins, which is worth $6 million and a chance to make $2 million more in incentives. It also included a $3 million signing bonus.

The source said Pryor wanted to return to the Browns and held out as long as he could for the Browns to increase their original offer

The Browns also really wanted to keep Pryor, and had been working to do so since training camp.

Pryor and his agents, Drew and Jason Rosenhaus, didn't accept that offer because Pryor didn't want to be locked into $8 million a year when the felt he could make more, especially if he topped his 1,000-yard season in 2017.

Guessing that is from this article

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/terrelle_pryor_came_back_to_th.html

Which also mentions that several teams offered multi-year deals, including some at $10-11M per year, but Pryor and his agents saw more $$$ in going for a one year "prove it" deal. Problem was once the Browns signed Britt they spent the $8M WR money, and were going to offer him less.

He gambled, Browns could not wait for it to play out, and probably got the feeling he was leaning towards wanting an offer that would not fit their plans (more money, or the short term deal). Not sure why he didn't take one of those long term offers paying $11M, must not have been enough gauranteed money, or he simply thought he could make more over that period by starting with the one year deal and then getting $13-15M on a long term deal.  Makes me think these reports about the offers are BS, Pryor's camp trying to save face (and the PD's MKC feeding the fans their BS for them).