[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Huddle 2017 NFL Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

(This probably won't show well on your phones, but here goes anyway:)

Here is the GM list.  Obviously I am missing some data here.  Please let me know how to fill in the blanks.  This is from the "GM lineup" tab on the spreadsheet:

Team GM
Arizona Cardinals  
Atlanta Falcons  
Baltimore Ravens HBTC
Buffalo Bills  
Carolina Panthers Irish
Chicago Bears Darin3
Cincinnati Bengals CowboysDiehard
Cleveland Browns ajh2
Dallas Cowboys Irish
Denver Broncos ajh2
Detroit Lions Def.
Green Bay Packers Big John
Houston Texans wpob
Indianapolis Colts BeeR
Jacksonville Jaguars theirish
Kansas City Chiefs Dcat
Los Angeles Chargers Darin3
Los Angeles Rams Trojanmojo
Miami Dolphins Def.
Minnesota Vikings Dcat
New England Patriots  
New Orleans Saints ajh2
New York Giants wpob
New York Jets Dcat
Oakland Raiders CowboysDiehard
Philadelphia Eagles fitzkek
Pittsburgh Steelers Irish
San Francisco 49ers theirish
Seattle Seahawks heehawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers HBTC
Tennessee Titans Darin3
Washington Redskins CowboysDiehard

Edited by Dcat

Love Jonathan Allen for the Bears.  They're in a slow rebuild and need beef in the middle and forces on the defensive side of the ball once again.  Vic Fangio gets an absolute terror who can play all along the line.  Pairs with the likes of Leonard Floyd and underrated (for now) Eddie Goldman (as I like to call him.. Goldman SACKS)

Thought of going with safety but battles won in the trenches and Allen is both safe and has upside.

======

For the Titans, they need help everywhere.  Jamal Adams was the no-brainer of no-brainer picks.  He could quite possibly be the best overall player in this draft, not just defender.  Natural leader that the Titans' defense needs right now.  Big hitter that can play in the box as well as drop back and kick booty in coverage.

• Like 1

OK.  Jets are OTC.  I'm waiting for Irish to discuss the possibility of allowing trades.  

Jets have a million holes to fill and need more picks in rounds 1/2. A trade-back here is what the doctor ordered.  Fournette, Williams, Davis, Howard, Trubisky, Barnett, even Lattimore and Foster are all interesting picks here.  

1. lets decide if trades are allowed

2. If so, which teams are interested in stepping into slot 6?  Any QB hungry teams want Trubisky or Watson there?  Fournette or Howard?  Barnett?

I'll give this a little time until Irish returns.  As long as we get within reasonable approach to the draft chart values, why not?  It's a quick edit on the spreadsheet.

Honestly, if we were going to allow trades that should have been decided before the first handful of picks were made.  

I think we should proceed without trades, but y'all that are investing more time/energy into this can be the ones to decide and I'll be fine either way.

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Honestly, if we were going to allow trades that should have been decided before the first handful of picks were made.  

I think we should proceed without trades, but y'all that are investing more time/energy into this can be the ones to decide and I'll be fine either way.

I suppose you are right.  (sigh).   

I'd be willing to do a do-over.  

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Yeah. I don't really care either way but I believe trades were brought up last yr and it was decided there wouldn't be any

Oh well.  I guess we should have discussed before starting. It's so much better with trades allowed and easy to implement.   I'd still like Irish to chime in on this. At least for next year.

I'll have my pick in a few minutes.  I'm at work tonight.

Edited by Dcat

• WJW pinned this topic

Bolts go with Peppers after hoping either Hooker or Adams fell to them (and likely will in real draft, but whatever).  In Peppers they get an Eric Weddle-ish guy that can make plays in the defensive backfield.  They also need help on the offensive line but no absolute monsters that are worthy of a pick this high.  Peppers pairs with Bosa for a real solid 1-2 defensive punch for years to come.

Also, the Google docs thing is cool and all but could we get the in-progress picks updated on the first post?  Gotta click 2-3 times to get to the draft... :shrug:

Edited by darin3

In any other year, I'd rather put a bullet in my brain than pick a TE this high.  The Jets have like a zillion needs.  But they drafted Hackenburg last year in rd 2 and he hasn't been given a chance.  Trubisky was very tempting here but if my memory serves me right, there was another QB who only had a single year as a starter and with an eerily similar skill set as Trubisky, that the jets drafted at pick #5. His name was Mark Sanchez.  Nope... I can't do that again.  So best to let the Jets give Hack and Petty a chance, start to build a strong team and if Hack fails (as most expect) then go grab Darnold or Rosen in 2018.  

This is not an ideal situation for the Jets.  Lattimore was there, and would fill a need, but the draft is rich with really good round 2-4 CBs, in fact there are a plethora of good CBs in this draft.  Lattimore's injury history reminds me of another early Jets 1st round bust: Dee Milliner.  The Jets need an 3-4 Edge rusher.  Badly.  Barnett was appealing here too, but his lack of burst worries me.  Shades of Gholston?  Yes, there are many demons and ghosts haunting past 1st round picks for the NY Jets.

I think Howard is one of the most sure things in the 2017 draft.  Provides a weapon that the jets currently don't have (and haven't had since like forever.)  TE is no longer a "luxury" in the modern NFL.  A TE receiving monster is now a necessity in the pass happy league.  Howard can also block very well.  A great young weapon for whoever ends up under center for the NY Jets-Jets-Jets.    Williams and Davis were also considerations here.

Now you see why I wanted a tradeback.  And I hope Mike Maccagnan finds a trade-back partner on draft day.  I have no doubt that someone here would have traded up to get Fournette. 

howard2.jpeg.07a43c0226250ec44ef876a8a5f688b9.jpeg

Edited by Dcat

32 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Bolts go with Peppers after hoping either Hooker or Adams fell to them (and likely will in real draft, but whatever).  In Peppers they get an Eric Weddle-ish guy that can make plays in the defensive backfield.  They also need help on the offensive line but no absolute monsters that are worthy of a pick this high.  Peppers pairs with Bosa for a real solid 1-2 defensive punch for years to come.

Also, the Google docs thing is cool and all but could we get the in-progress picks updated on the first post?  Gotta click 2-3 times to get to the draft... :shrug:

it doesn't take you to the "Draft" tab automatically?  

where does it bring you?

Let me see if I can fix that.

edit: OK  it should now open directly to the Draft page.  

Edited by Dcat

So while we wait for the Carolina pick, can there be any doubt who the pick will be?  How long do they plan to stay with the oft injured, now over 30 years old Stewart?  And I don't think that Fozzy is the answer. :)

I expect Irish to thank both the Jets and the Chargers for letting him fall right into Carolina's lap.  Something on the order of this would be appropriate: :bow:

Edited by Dcat

5 hours ago, Trojanmojo said:

Let me know if I can draft for the Cards as well as the Rams.  With the Rams not having a 1st, I need some action! 

I've assigned you to the Cardinals.  Thank You!

We still have some unassigned teams: 

Buffalo

Atlanta

New England

Where the f--k are all the loud Pats fans?  

Pats fans: "Draft Piks?  We don't need no stinkin' draft piks!"

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Re: Peppers.  No concern about his poor 40 times at the combine and after?  I really like the kid and some team is going to luck out when he falls because of that. 

I'm nowhere near the draft guy that I'm sure some of you are, and I know D usually is, but this seems awful high. I've seen some people that think he'll be there for Dallas at 28

This Dcat is a serious fellow when it comes to these mocks!!  I'm glad.  Super glad!

• Like 2

The Carolina Panthers go stiff-arming, hurdling and spin-moving through the crowd with the card that says RB, Leonard Fournette on it!  

• Like 2

Aren't you supposed to put that on the "picks only" thread?

I think Fournette was the play for NY but the Howard pick, tho understandably questionable that high, I like.  He has the look and feel of a legit stud TE for years to come and the Jets haven't had once since what the Namath era...and whatever QB gets the play time will need him badly. 

PS I'll draft for Bills or Falcs if needed.  Not helping the Cheatriots*, even in a pretend draft.  Unless you have no problem w/me drafting punters for them all day.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Re: Peppers.  No concern about his poor 40 times at the combine and after?  I really like the kid and some team is going to luck out when he falls because of that. 

4.46 is poor?  If he were designated as a LB he'd be the fastest in this class.  Due to injuries on the Wolverine D, he actually played more LB than he had in the past.  Ran faster than what Eric Weddle ran (4.48).  Of course, Weddle is white :unsure:

Only concern - and it's not a huge one - is his lack of INTs in college.  But yeah, the kid is a playmaker.  Need playmakers on this defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HowboutthemCowboys said:

I'm nowhere near the draft guy that I'm sure some of you are, and I know D usually is, but this seems awful high. I've seen some people that think he'll be there for Dallas at 28

I've seen a few mocks - where Hooker and Adams go in the top-5 - where the Bolts take Peppers.  In fact, one of the mocks was a Charger fansite... so... :shrug:

Peppers is very polarizing.  I can see the bust potential, but I also see star potential.  I know the Cowboys like him - as they should with the state of their secondary - as well as the Steelers.

I think the guy's an absolute game-changing stud.  All these defenses bringing their bigger safeties up into the box as an additional run-stopper... heck, in some cases (Barron, Bucannon), they've actually re-designated them as LBs.  But in the case of guys like Landon Collins (and others), they are still DBs ... that could potentially put up LB-esque tackle and big play stats.

Peppers is in that mold.  He will be used all over the field.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, darin3 said:

4.46 is poor?  If he were designated as a LB he'd be the fastest in this class.  Due to injuries on the Wolverine D, he actually played more LB than he had in the past.  Ran faster than what Eric Weddle ran (4.48).  Of course, Weddle is white :unsure:

Only concern - and it's not a huge one - is his lack of INTs in college.  But yeah, the kid is a playmaker.  Need playmakers on this defense.

I was thinking of Teez Tabor not peppers.  Sorry.   Peppers is a great pick.  He was a star right here at Paramus Catholic.  Rooting for this kid.  Really tough background.  

46 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I've seen a few mocks - where Hooker and Adams go in the top-5 - where the Bolts take Peppers.  In fact, one of the mocks was a Charger fansite... so... :shrug:

Peppers is very polarizing.  I can see the bust potential, but I also see star potential.  I know the Cowboys like him - as they should with the state of their secondary - as well as the Steelers.

I think the guy's an absolute game-changing stud.  All these defenses bringing their bigger safeties up into the box as an additional run-stopper... heck, in some cases (Barron, Bucannon), they've actually re-designated them as LBs.  But in the case of guys like Landon Collins (and others), they are still DBs ... that could potentially put up LB-esque tackle and big play stats.

Peppers is in that mold.  He will be used all over the field.

I think he's a really good pick.  I agree he can be a special player.  He was a star here in HS.  If he's the BPA on your list, you go with that.  I took my BPA for the Jets on my board.  It was pretty tough for me to pass on Fournette.  I had Hooker, Fournette, Barnett in the same tier as Howard with Trubisky as a serious consideration from my next tier.  

Edited by Dcat

• DMD unpinned this topic