[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official Huddle 2017 NFL Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

2 hours ago, BeeR said:

Aren't you supposed to put that on the "picks only" thread?

I think Fournette was the play for NY but the Howard pick, tho understandably questionable that high, I like.  He has the look and feel of a legit stud TE for years to come and the Jets haven't had once since what the Namath era...and whatever QB gets the play time will need him badly. 

PS I'll draft for Bills or Falcs if needed.  Not helping the Cheatriots*, even in a pretend draft.  Unless you have no problem w/me drafting punters for them all day.

I was torn but in the end I took who I thought was the BPA who just happened to fill a serious gaping need in a passing league that is heavily TE dependent. Put it this way... which is harder to find to fill a hole when in need?  RB or TE?  Sefarian-Jenkins is the best TE on the Jets roster right now.  Jets have Forte under contract and the underrated Bilal Powell as well.  They will survive 2017 with those two.  The positional need difference is overwhelming. It was hard to ignore the need for an Edge too.  I had Barnett rated  in the same tier as Fournette Howard Hooker and seriously thought about picking him. 

Edited by Dcat

1 hour ago, CowboysDiehard said:

...not sure how to update that spreadsheet, so I left my pick in the other thread.   If an addition to the OL cannot get Hill and the Red Rocket moving, it'll be time to clean house next year in Cincy.  

I'm on it.  

If somebody would like to share editing privileges with me for the duration of the mock, send me a PM.

33 minutes ago, BeeR said:

......or ajh2 can do it.   :) 

I think that was a one-shot deal just to get the draft moving again.  Thank you to @ajh2 for making Buffalo's pick.   Now we still need a someone to step in and draft for Buffalo moving forward.

And, may I say, all 3 picks are fantastic for those teams.  Well done ajh2.  Lattimore is a steal for the Bills and a position of great need for them too.  I love Foster for the Browns.  Adding Foster and Garrett to the Browns' roster???  Holy crap.  The Browns making some noise and tremendously improving that roster!  McCaffery for the Saints is really interesting...  McCaffery over Cook?  Why?

Edited by Dcat

McCaffery fills the slot/RB position aka Bush/Westbrook that is required to keep the offense operating efficiently.  Deciding factor was kick/punt returning.  Defense to follow.

Edited by ajh2

5 minutes ago, ajh2 said:

Browns sign Cutler as a bridge for their QB of the future.  Defense most be improved greatly in order to counter LeVon Bell.

FWIW, they would probably use Kessler as a bridge since he's already on the roster.  Also...

ESPN's Roman Modrowski reports free agent Jay Cutler is still contemplating retirement.

WGN Radio reported at the Annual League Meeting late last month that there was a "strong belief" Cutler wouldn't play football in 2017, and he's yet to receive any known free agent interest. As Modrowski notes, Cutler is married to successful TV personality Kristin Cavillari and has no financial worries. The Jets at one point were rumored to have interest, but 34-year-old Cutler likely has no interest in joining a rebuilding team.

Don't think Hue or the "moneyball" management would take on Smoking Jay either. 

14 hours ago, darin3 said:

I've seen a few mocks - where Hooker and Adams go in the top-5 - where the Bolts take Peppers.  In fact, one of the mocks was a Charger fansite... so... :shrug:

Peppers is very polarizing.  I can see the bust potential, but I also see star potential.  I know the Cowboys like him - as they should with the state of their secondary - as well as the Steelers.

I think the guy's an absolute game-changing stud.  All these defenses bringing their bigger safeties up into the box as an additional run-stopper... heck, in some cases (Barron, Bucannon), they've actually re-designated them as LBs.  But in the case of guys like Landon Collins (and others), they are still DBs ... that could potentially put up LB-esque tackle and big play stats.

Peppers is in that mold.  He will be used all over the field.

Completely agree with this.  I've seen a number of mocks that have him dropping way back in the first and I really can't figure out why.  Reminds me a little of Atwater.

1 hour ago, Trojanmojo said:

Mitchell "don't call me Mitch" Trubisky to the Cards.  I feel like I got Bo Callahan.  The Eagles are up!

this is one very smart pick for Arizona.  With Palmer's age and propensity for injury, Trub has a great mentor in Palmer to watch and will definitely get some play time.  He might even take over in 2018.  Perfect situation for him and for the Cards.  Well done.

Eagles OTC @fitzkek

Edited by Dcat

Disagree.  Akili Smith.  Mark Sanchez.  etc.  Simply not advisable to draft a college QB with only one good year to his name.

I think the McCaffrey pick was ill advised as well.  They once again need defense way (way) more.

Be interesting to see where Cook goes.....

55 minutes ago, BeeR said:

Disagree.  Akili Smith.  Mark Sanchez.  etc.  Simply not advisable to draft a college QB with only one good year to his name.

I think the McCaffrey pick was ill advised as well.  They once again need defense way (way) more.

Agree and agree.  Payton loves nifty little offensive weapons but they will not take McCaffrey.  They need defense.  I think the Saints would have taken Foster there.

And while I like Trubisky, that was not the spot.  I think they would have gone WR.  But this is a collective effort here, as it always is, so gotta respect each Huddler's viewpoint!

New Orleans draft board got busted.  Their top targets came off earlier than expected.  Top focus was on secondary and O. J. Howard.  With the Bills taking Lattimore, New Orleans faced a dilemma of McCaffery or Foster.  They were forced to ask if Cook or McCaffery would be available at the end of the First Round with Eagles, Giants, Redskins, and Buccaneers all needing RB help.  With little possibility of getting their slot/RB, New Orleans made the call to go after the position with less depth in this draft at this position.  Defensive Line and Secondary are deeper than RB and have a better chance of getting contributors at the end of the First Round and in the Second Round.

10 hours ago, BeeR said:

There's always a risk.  But its the QB position with tremendous upside. The reality is that teams do this all the time.  In addition, the Cards won't be asking Trub to start.  He'll be clipboarding and learning with Carson Palmer at the helm for a while.  Very different from the Sanchez situation in that respect.  Plus, the Jets actually traded up to get Sanchez at slot 5.  Don't remember the details on A. Smith.  That was a long time ago and both college ball and the NFL have changed a lot since then.

Since I'm a long suffering Jets fan, I can tell you that when Sanchez was selected after trading up, we watched a ton of video of him from his 14 starts.  He had nowhere near the accuracy or arm strength of Trubisky.  Not alike at all.   I'd take Trub over the weak-armed Watson every day and twice on Sunday.  And I watch a lot of Clemson.  Watson had great talent around him that masked a lot of his inaccuracy and poor throws.

Had the Jets not wasted a 2nd rounder on Hackenberg last season, Trubisky would have been gone at pick 6 with me selecting in this draft.  And it is highly possible that the Jets take him at 6 this year.  Trubisky will be gone in round 1 and will likely be the 1st QB off the board, well ahead of the experienced Watson and Kizer.

Edited by Dcat

OK, @fitzkek was tagged and then PM'd between 4 and 5 PM Eastern time yesterday that he was on the clock.  I'll give this another 2 hours (until 10am Eastern) and then make the pick for the Eagles so the draft can move forward.  

To make this work, we can't wait practically full days for anyone to respond.  18 hours (with the overnight) is sufficient for this one.

I made the selection for the Eagles and the Colts are OTC.   Barnett is a great fit at 4-3 DE for a team that is in need of an effective edge rusher.  

I will be out most of today with few opportunities to check in and update the spreadsheet.  Please let's continue the draft.  After you select, please PM the next GM up.  In addition, you can tag him like this @BeeR.

1 minute ago, HowboutthemCowboys said:

Tag me when I'm up I'll check later, busy today 

you are on deck for Ravens.  Indi is before you.  You can PM me two picks in order of priority and when I check in I can add your pick.  If Indi takes the first on your list, then I'll use the second.

This is the way it should go: If you know you will be unavailable, PM me a prioritized list and I'll make the pick for you.  I should be able to check in 2 or 3 times this afternoon.

• DMD unpinned this topic