[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers release Ladarius Green

Wolverines Fan

Jesse James was actually a viable TE in larger leagues last year.  Started the season with 10.6, 13.4, a stinker, 10.5 and 19.3.  

He's only 22 (23 by start of season) and in his third year.  

They've already announced he's the starter.

I wouldn't sleep on this guy in larger leagues.  I am damn happy I kept him on my roster this off-season.  Wasn't gonna ditch him with Green's injury history, but still.  

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Started the season with 10.6, 13.4, a stinker, 10.5 and 19.3.  

Those point totals are from a 1.5 ppr league.  He played 78% snaps last year and only had 2 weeks above 10 fantasy points in 1 ppr leagues.  He was the 28th highest scoring tight end.  28th is pretty weak considering how much he was on the field and having Roethlisberger for a quarterback.  He is a blocking tight end who is mostly going to keep blocking.  I could see using him as a bye week replacement since he is pretty much guaranteed of getting 2 or 3 receptions because of always being on the field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darin3 said:

Jesse James was actually a viable TE in larger leagues last year.  Started the season with 10.6, 13.4, a stinker, 10.5 and 19.3.

He's only 22 (23 by start of season) and in his third year.

They've already announced he's the starter.

I wouldn't sleep on this guy in larger leagues.  I am damn happy I kept him on my roster this off-season.  Wasn't gonna ditch him with Green's injury history, but still.

I had him for a while to fill in some holes with injuries and byes he was not bad. There just are not a lot of really good TEs anymore and far too many offenses in the NFL have a lot of randomness to their offensive production. Far too often in our league scoring the TE are getting 1-3 points (1/10 rec, no PPR) so unless you have somebody elite you're just shuffling around guys and missing their bigger games.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

unless you have somebody elite you're just shuffling around guys and missing their bigger games.

The tight end position seems especially prone to this.  As soon as you have faith in a player and start them, they get you a goose egg.  And when you lose faith in them and bench them, then they blow up.  And it might not just be bad luck.  Defenses are judging tight ends the same way we are and try to shut them down when they are playing well and don't focus on them as much when they aren't playing as well.  And then Offenses adjust how they use the tight end based on how the defense is playing it.

I don't like playing musical chairs with tight ends.  I like to grab the 7th or 8th tight end off the board in the 7th or 8th round.  It's nice having a tight end who with you stick through thick and thin and then get their blow up weeks.  And it's nice only using one roster spot.  Fortunately, tight end gets deeper every year.  I consider the tight ends with the highest 11 adps to be elite.  Here is MFL10's tight end adps so far this year:

1. Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE 22.25      
2. Kelce, Travis KCC TE 39.29      
3. Reed, Jordan WAS TE 42.83      
4. Olsen, Greg CAR TE 59.30      
5. Eifert, Tyler CIN TE 72.14      
6. Graham, Jimmy SEA TE 77.95      
7. Henry, Hunter LAC TE 89.62      
8. Walker, Delanie TEN TE 92.97      
9. Ertz, Zach PHI TE 99.71      
10. Bennett, Martellus GBP TE 103.65      
11. Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE 103.79      
12. Ebron, Eric DET TE 119.18      
13. Howard, O.J. TBB TE 121.90      
14. Doyle, Jack IND TE 126.64      
15. Fleener, Coby NOS TE 152.44      
16. Thomas, Julius MIA TE 155.17      
17. Njoku, David CLE TE 155.26      
18. Hooper, Austin ATL TE 155.56      
19. Engram, Evan NYG TE 156.47      
20. Witten, Jason DAL TE 161.40      
21. Fiedorowicz, C.J. HOU TE 162.76      
22. Brate, Cameron TBB TE 164.12      
23. Green, Ladarius FA TE 179.04      
24. Cook, Jared OAK TE 179.56      
25. Allen, Dwayne NEP TE 188.14      
26. Pitta, Dennis BAL TE 191.41      
27. Clay, Charles BUF TE 196.56      
28. Gates, Antonio LAC TE 200.76      
29. Miller, Zach CHI TE 203.92      
30. Higbee, Tyler LAR TE 211.16      
31. James, Jesse PIT TE 213.40      
32. Shaheen, Adam CHI TE     

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Free agent TE Ladarius Green is hoping to play this season.
Green was released with a failed physical designation after dealng with concussion and ankle issues last season. It sounds like he wants to continue his career, but he's not a lock to get medically cleared. There likely won't be more clarity on Green's status until closer to training camp.
Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter May 19 - 5:31 PM

hoping... hoping to play. hope? he's not confident in his own health?

I've been shouting at the top of my lungs that this guy is done for like the last 2 years.  Fools gold.

Oh, and I love Delanie Walker at that ADP.  I'll probably be aiming for him again this year.

Edited by kdko
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, michaelredd9 said:

The tight end position seems especially prone to this.  As soon as you have faith in a player and start them, they get you a goose egg.  And when you lose faith in them and bench them, then they blow up.  And it might not just be bad luck.  Defenses are judging tight ends the same way we are and try to shut them down when they are playing well and don't focus on them as much when they aren't playing as well.  And then Offenses adjust how they use the tight end based on how the defense is playing it.

I don't like playing musical chairs with tight ends.  I like to grab the 7th or 8th tight end off the board in the 7th or 8th round.  It's nice having a tight end who with you stick through thick and thin and then get their blow up weeks.  And it's nice only using one roster spot.  Fortunately, tight end gets deeper every year.  I consider the tight ends with the highest 11 adps to be elite.  Here is MFL10's tight end adps so far this year:

1. Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE 22.25      
2. Kelce, Travis KCC TE 39.29      
3. Reed, Jordan WAS TE 42.83      
4. Olsen, Greg CAR TE 59.30      
5. Eifert, Tyler CIN TE 72.14      
6. Graham, Jimmy SEA TE 77.95      
7. Henry, Hunter LAC TE 89.62      
8. Walker, Delanie TEN TE 92.97      
9. Ertz, Zach PHI TE 99.71      
10. Bennett, Martellus GBP TE 103.65      
11. Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE 103.79      
12. Ebron, Eric DET TE 119.18      
13. Howard, O.J. TBB TE 121.90      
14. Doyle, Jack IND TE 126.64      
15. Fleener, Coby NOS TE 152.44      
16. Thomas, Julius MIA TE 155.17      
17. Njoku, David CLE TE 155.26      
18. Hooper, Austin ATL TE 155.56      
19. Engram, Evan NYG TE 156.47      
20. Witten, Jason DAL TE 161.40      
21. Fiedorowicz, C.J. HOU TE 162.76      
22. Brate, Cameron TBB TE 164.12      
23. Green, Ladarius FA TE 179.04      
24. Cook, Jared OAK TE 179.56      
25. Allen, Dwayne NEP TE 188.14      
26. Pitta, Dennis BAL TE 191.41      
27. Clay, Charles BUF TE 196.56      
28. Gates, Antonio LAC TE 200.76      
29. Miller, Zach CHI TE 203.92      
30. Higbee, Tyler LAR TE 211.16      
31. James, Jesse PIT TE 213.40      
32. Shaheen, Adam CHI TE     

Njoku will be a big sleeper this year, kids a freak

5 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

Njoku will be a big sleeper this year, kids a freak

Interesting....and young QB's tend to love checking down to their TE's.  Anything more you can tell us about him, or the buzz coming from camp?  Besides him being an athletic freak.  

17 hours ago, kdko said:

Interesting....and young QB's tend to love checking down to their TE's.  Anything more you can tell us about him, or the buzz coming from camp?  Besides him being an athletic freak.  

NFL Profile

The link above gives him an NFL comparison of Greg Olsen, which it might be a little to early to do.

The Browns didn't release Gary Barnidge to have Njoku play a limited role. He's only 20 years old and measures like 6'5" 240lbs. He was recruited to Miami originally as a WR, a former National High Jump champion, and had a 37.5" vertical at the combine and a 6.97 Three Cone. He has every single tool to be a matchup nightmare and he has been doing nothing but impressing at camp so far. Oh and as I mentioned before he is only 20!

I still get a kick out of him thinking Joe Thomas was a coach when he first met him.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

lol...

starting job.

Labriola wrote Grimble "has flashed the ability to be special" but struggles with consistency. Grimble is a more dynamic receiving weapon than presumed starter Jesse James, who has averaged 8.4 yards on 47 career receptions. If he proves more reliable in camp, it would not be surprising to see Grimble push James for the starting job.

I said it more out of hope than expectation. 

• Like 1

A blocking tight end like Jesse James and a receiving tight end like Xavier Grimble almost don't play the same position and so aren't really even in competition with each other.  It's like difference between a halfback and a fullback.  Both a halfback and a fullback are running backs but they serve very different roles.  Ladarius Green was very effective last year.  He had the second most yards gained per route run for a tight end with only Gronk doing better.  The experiment of having a receiving tight end was clearly a success.  But the Steelers have always liked having an inline tight end as a 6th offensive lineman because they like to run the ball and because Roethlisberger needs extra protection because he likes to throw deep.  Roethlisberger perennially has one of the slowest release times in the NFL.  And with Martivas Bryant back, Roethlisberger is going to want to throw deep even more often.  The Steelers are probably going to use 2 tight end sets a lot.  Roethlisberger had a quarterback rating of 113.0 in 2 tight end sets last year including 9 touchdown passes with only 110 passes thrown.  His quarterback rating in 1 tight end sets was 87.3.  Both Jesse and Xavier could get 60% of snaps.  Jesse James will probably officially be the starter since 1st down is a running down and because he is the incumbent starter.  Even if Jesse gets more snaps, Xavier is the more intriguing fantasy prospect.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

lol

some of you guys think that winning requires you to be smarter than everyone else. FF is no longer about knowing more, it's about managing the info.

Careful you don't pat yourself on the back too hard. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Coach Mike Tomlin says the Steelers acquired TE Vance McDonald because the team's existing tight ends weren't "consistently varsity enough."

Intended or otherwise, it's a shot at plodder Jesse James, who can catch the ball and fall, but not do much else. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler believes James could end up splitting starting reps with McDonald, but McDonald's acquisition severely dampens James' low-end TE2 appeal as a potential touchdown scorer. There aren't many formats where he should be rostered.

I read that as well. My question is where is Xavier?? 

44 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

I read that as well. My question is where is Xavier?? 

Sounds like Xavier is on the Junior Varsity squad.  Tight end is so deep I can't imagine drafting a Steeler tight end.  But if Ertz or Bennett or whoever I draft ends up failing or when I need a bye week filler, I'll be keeping an eye on Vance McDonald.  He has some receiving skills and Roethlisberger has the ability to make him fantasy relevant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boltnlava said:

I ve seen Green play with th SD charrgers....he was a beast ...never got the ball and still worked. Shame he was behind a HOF te cuz it could have been different. Shame really.

Chargers fan too, and you know the reason he was never on the field, and it had nothing to do with Gates!  The guy was getting concussed in practice left and right and couldn't ever get cleared to play.

i hear you yet the the news isn't the same...I suspect your'e right but when I saw him on the field he was the best te on the *cough* la chargers...always working open or blocking;. kind of a kellen winslow jr but with heart.