michaelredd9

Brandin Cooks: Why no love?

3 hours ago, NAUgrad said:

I'm in the 3rd round and I'm debating between a WR and a RB who I feel are on a similar tier, I'll take the RB.  

In theory that might be a good strategy.  But in practice there is slim pickings at running back after the second round.  Here are the running backs with adps in the 3rd and 4th round:

28 Lamar Miller

31 Christian McCaffrey

34 Joe Mixon

38 Isaiah Crowell

41 Marshawn Lynch

42 Carlos Hyde

For the last 5 years or so I've felt that the best value in the 4th round has been at running back.  None of the above running backs interest me except possibly Joe Mixon.  Each year there are fewer 3-down running backs.  Brandin Cooks outscored all but 7 running backs last year in PPR.

Edited by michaelredd9

On 6/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, michaelredd9 said:

In theory that might be a good strategy.  But in practice there is slim pickings at running back after the second round.  Here are the running backs with adps in the 3rd and 4th round:

28 Lamar Miller

31 Christian McCaffrey

34 Joe Mixon

38 Isaiah Crowell

41 Marshawn Lynch

42 Carlos Hyde

For the last 5 years or so I've felt that the best value in the 4th round has been at running back.  None of the above running backs interest me except possibly Joe Mixon.  Each year there are fewer 3-down running backs.  Brandin Cooks outscored all but 7 running backs last year in PPR.

I think that's why I've always seemed to really target RB's early, because there are so few of them.  I can't even think of many 3 down RB's anymore.  I've seen others grab WR's high but have rarely seen them win much with the "I'll take the RB leftover strategy".  I've always felt like I could get a solid WR later, maybe 4th round or later and end up with decent production.  I still feel that way now.

I agree Mixon is an interesting pick.  I would probably pull the trigger on Lynch in the 5th though if he's still there.

it's crazy how opinions are so scattered on this guy.

from kffl...

Patriots | Brandin Cooks lining up everywhere
Fri, 09 Jun 2017 08:23:54 -0700

New England Patriots WR Brandin Cooks is lining up everywhere on the field for the team, and he caught a team-high eight passes during a three-day minicamp this week. Cooks finishes every single route, regardless of how quickly the ball is delivered, and he flashes his hands at the end of the route to simulate the timing of the throw, according to S Devin McCourty.

Cooks is a weapon, but it's hard to envision him harnessing his WR1 potential with so many other weapons in this offense. Cooks is at-best a WR2 in fantasy.

Source: Boston Herald - Jeff Howe

------------------------

from rotoworld...

Brandin Cooks - WR - Patriots
Brandin Cooks has been lining up all over the field at Patriots' offseason practices.
Beat writer Jeff Howe notes Cooks lined up outside and even in the slot, where he was particularly explosive and a total mismatch on crossing patterns. Defensive backs simply couldn't hang with the speed demon. Cooks and Tom Brady also appear well-versed on fly patterns, and Cooks led all Patriots receivers with eight catches in the three practices open to the media. We've seen newcomers struggle to mesh with Brady in the past, but it appears so far, so good for Cooks in New England. He may be their biggest playmaker since Randy Moss.
Source: Boston Herald Jun 9 - 10:30 AM

-----------------

I think he's an absolutely clear top 10 WR, so for kffl to says wr2 is insane. If he's there in the 3rd, you're nuts for not taking him. I think you're nuts for not taking him in the 2nd, but I don't do redraft anymore so maybe my perspective is way out of date.

Cooks is 13th on the early Huddle WR rankings, that makes him a WR2 in a 12 team league. Is DMD nuts?

Saying "at best a WR2 may be insane, if he's top 15-20 even that's a clear WR2.

• Like 1

I'd like to know how people are feeling about Cooks now that we are into the preseason. I'm up in the air on it, he could be huge or he could end up being inconsistent like he was in New Orleans. Huge games and donut games

Opinions on Cooks are still all over the place, and I'm still waffling on him.

Would the Patriots give up a first rounder to get Cooks and use him as a decoy for 16 games? I doubt it.

Will NE feed a receiver not named Gronk or Edelman? Ummm...that doesn't seem to be their thing.

Edelman was one of the least efficient WRs in the league last year per PFF. I'm pretty sure the aggressive move of trading a first round pick to get Brandon Cooks isn't a coincidence. I'm not touching Edelman this year.

I think low end WR2 is Cooks' floor. If Gronk gets hurt, he has significant Top 10 potential. But it's hard to see Cooks as truly elite considering how much NE usually spreads the ball around (but all bets are off if (when?) Gronk gets injured).

2 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

Edelman was one of the least efficient WRs in the league last year per PFF. I'm pretty sure the aggressive move of trading a first round pick to get Brandon Cooks isn't a coincidence. I'm not touching Edelman this year.

I think low end WR2 is Cooks' floor. WHEN Gronk gets hurt, he has significant Top 10 potential. But it's hard to see Cooks as truly elite considering how much NE usually spreads the ball around but all bets are off when Gronk gets injured.

fixed

NE is stacked, again. Perhaps even more so this year. Yes, Brady will spread it around. I also think there will be enough to go around. Cooks will have 100+ 2 TD games and some with 60-70 and 0 TD. For the right price, I'd take that upside.

4 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Well I wish I would have went with my gut on him. So far he's a bust

He played well in week one.  He had 3 catches for 88 yards and drew 3 penalties.  Two of those penalties put the ball at the 2 yard line.  He also should have had a touchdown today but was underthrown by Brady.

11 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

He played well in week one.  He had 3 catches for 88 yards and drew 3 penalties.  Two of those penalties put the ball at the 2 yard line.  He also should have had a touchdown today but was underthrown by Brady.

The thing that bothers me is he only had 4 targets today

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

The thing that bothers me is he only had 4 targets today

Yeah, that's no bueno.  It wouldn't surprise me if Sean Payton gameplanned to take Cooks out of the game so that they didn't look foolish for trading him.  As a deep threat, he is bound to be inconsistent.

I'm starting to get really concerned with the lack of targets for Cooks. They traded a lot to get him, so if Brady is ignoring him for less talented receivers it does not bode well.

what really sukked is when he ran the ball at the end and then just kneeled it like 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Just one more poke to the eye!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bdub1988 said:

I'm starting to get really concerned with the lack of targets for Cooks. They traded a lot to get him, so if Brady is ignoring him for less talented receivers it does not bode well.

Hang in there. With Gronk potentially out with a groin injury Brady may now be without his two sure-fire go-to guys(Edelman, Gronk and Amendola would have been third). Someone's got to get those targets now.