[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Auctions

DMD

Fantasy Auctions  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your involvement with auctions?

• Currently participate
    • Do not currently but have in past
    • Never have
  2. 2. What is your opinion of a fantasy auction

• Preferred way to build a fantasy team
    • No opinion - no interest
    • No experience but auction-curious
    • Hate 'em

Just wondering about auctions. They seem to be slowly growing. Still just a fraction of regular drafts but it seems to have a slight momentum. Personally, I love them. Just released All about fantasy auctions today. 

it is hard to get past the convenience and ease of a fantasy draft so auctions would never see exponential growth but the longer you play fantasy football and understand player value, the more I would think a person would enjoy an auction more than a draft.

I've never known any league that went to an auction and regretted it though I am sure somewhere out there are some.

I went with preferred way out of the options for question 2, but very much think it depends on the league setup.  Redraft wise I love auction, but will favor standard pick drafts for keeper/dynasty.  I also prefer auction for only live drafting as it really doesn't translate well online for me for numerous reasons. 

I participated in a couple of auction baseball leagues in the past (and ran one), but never football.  I enjoyed the process.  It was good to know that, for a price, any player could be yours.  We had blind auctions for free agents in those leagues as well, with money put toward free agents going to the overall pot.  I scrapped that approach after a couple of years.  Owners threw good money after bad and then it was difficult to round up everything at the end of the year.  I no longer participate in fantasy baseball, however, too time-intensive.

Baseball is a bit more stable than football, though.  A guy like AP in his prime dominated the RB position.  If you shelled out for him, and he was injured, the rest of your team might necessarily be so weak (due to lack of funds), that you couldn't recover.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

Auctions easily.  I can't believe anyone would prefer the old method.  Unlike the "hurry up and pick" method it's 100% fair and there's no waiting on slow idiots to hurry up and pick.  You can have any player you want...just not EVERY player you want.  You get 100% credit (or blame) for your roster.  

DMD you had a great little chart years ago that compared auction to traditional and really pointed out why auctions are so much better...you should post 

You've got to consider the audience.

For the more diehard fantasy footballer, auctions add another dynamic to the strategy of team building. Do you go all in on 2-3 studs, spending 80% of your cap on those few players and filling in with flyers, or do you build a more balanced team that may lack any real dynamic puncher.

For the more casual player which I would venture to guess is the vast majority of fantasy footballers, and also a smaller percentage of the kind of owner that is 1. Subscribing for fantasy content and 2. even thinking about fantasy football in June, then the simplicity of a draft is a better option for them.

I like aspects of both, and play in one auction league and a few traditional draft leagues. Unsurprisingly, the auction league is made up of long time veteran players, mostly Huddlers, that all really know their stuff. The draft leagues are a mix - some made up of long time experienced players, and some with different groups of friends/family that do it for the fun and pretty much follow the Yahoo preranks for their draft.

Nothing quite like the decision making and preparation required for an auction - build a budget but during the auction you have to make adjustments on the fly, decide if you are willing to go over budget for a certain player then adjust your limits on the fly for other positions, do you risk bidding up a player you don't really want in the hopes that someone else outbids you and spends their dollars on a player you don't want, there is strategy involved in who to put out for bid when, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 locals that are live auctions. We just have to give the auctioneer free beer and it all turns into a very fun night of drafting! In both leagues each team can keep 2 players from the prior year as long as the players were not kept the previous year. I always try to lock up as many studs as my salary cap will allow and then fill in the roster with $1 or $2 players....it's a boom or bust approach since you can't afford to miss on the studs! I may switch it up this year to throw everyone off....who knows?

• Like 1

I think you also need to break this down into types of league.  I only do 1 redraft these days, and all my dynasties are rookie draft free agent auction as it resembles the nfl landscape more.  My redraft is a slow draft.  The auction process itself can be more of a game to some then the FF element , (depending on the clock, bid settings and number if teams involved) 

• 5 weeks later...

I know this thread is a bit old but thought I'd add my two cents.  I absolutely love auctions and find them to be the ideal way to draft.  They offer the most strategy and the most even playing field for everyone.  Snake drafts have their place but they are not even close to auctions when it comes to a serious way to conduct a fantasy draft.  The only negative I can really think of for auctions is that they can be very time consuming and it can be very hard to get a full league of people together to have a draft.  If it wasn't for joining an auction league I'm not sure I would have had as much passion for fantasy football.

• Like 1

We started an auction dynasty draft in 2014 and this is our 4th year.

In the beginning every player was up for grabs auction style.

Top 10 project dynasty at the start of the year goes up $3. Top 11-20 goes up $2 and Top 21-30 goes up $1

This prevents people from keeping players forever.

Each year we have 15 keepers max we can keep and their value has to be $150 or under. Total salary cap during the year is $210.

Players only get dropped when the cost to keep them outweighs the cost to redraft them.

Edited by Rbgb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rbgb said:

We started an auction dynasty draft in 2014 and this is our 4th year.

In the beginning every player was up for grabs auction style.

Top 10 project dynasty at the start of the year goes up $3. Top 11-20 goes up $2 and Top 21-30 goes up $1

This prevents people from keeping players forever.

Each year we have 15 keepers max we can keep and their value has to be $150 or under. Total salary cap during the year is $210.

Players only get dropped when the cost to keep them outweighs the cost to redraft them.

Who's the league mathematician? :unsure:

The commish.

ESPN has features to adjust keepers $$ based on Top 200 Dynasty ESPN ranks. ESPN also stores each players carrying value. So really not much to keep track of throughout the year.

This year we had Zeke, A J Green, Julio Jones, Gronk and a bunch of other tier 2 and 3 players

Some years are better than others. I like it because you can get rookies for cheap and if they blow up you have the guy for as long as you want him

Last year I got Jordan Howard for $1 off the draft. He went up to $4 this year, but even if he goes up $3 every year I still have him for 10+ years.

Gurley I got in 15' draft for $11 and he blew up that year. We all know how he did last year.

I like this way. Last year we implemented a cap reduction for 1st 2nd and 3rd place.

I see why it isn't popular despite technically being better than a snake draft. It has been a pain in the butt trying to prepare for my first one at the end of this month.

The websites have recommended auction values but there is no way to properly prepare for what might happen on draft day. I might plan to get Bell for $65, only to have him go for $74 on draft day and tank any sort of planning I had going into it. Also, it's very hard balancing your budget. Once you reach the end of a tier, players start panicking and overpaying for players, making you overpay for an average player.

1 hour ago, april6e said:

I see why it isn't popular despite technically being better than a snake draft. It has been a pain in the butt trying to prepare for my first one at the end of this month.

The websites have recommended auction values but there is no way to properly prepare for what might happen on draft day. I might plan to get Bell for $65, only to have him go for $74 on draft day and tank any sort of planning I had going into it. Also, it's very hard balancing your budget. Once you reach the end of a tier, players start panicking and overpaying for players, making you overpay for an average player.

All you can do is budget. They cannot overpay for every player. Knowing player value against your budget shows you where values are. In a snake draft you can plan on a round-by-round wish list and maybe get it. But in an auction you either have to pay up if you really want particular players or grab where the values are best. In my auctions I can usually tell you maybe three guys I am targeting and are willing to pay up for (but not get silly). But the rest are cherry picked values.

Come back and tell us your experience as a first timer.

DMD is correct. Recommended auction values, average auction values and mock auctions, I've always found to be of little use because each auction league is so different. Some spend heavy on RBs, some on WRs, some on QBs, etc. Some have a lot of guys who bid up the studs, others have a lot of guys who don't. No generalized source is going to tell you very much about what might happen in your league. One of the best tools when preparing a list of how much you should bid on each player is your league's historical bidding data. Unfortunately you don't have that as a first-timer. Good luck. 

It's great to have a good idea of what a player's value is no matter what.  Your auction will not always follow auction values but it's good to know if someone is over paying or underpaying.  It's important to remember that just because you have a certain value for a player does not mean you have to stick to it.  You need to determine if a player is worth overpaying for if you really want them and how much you're willing to go over.  No player that you like is worth losing over for $1 or $2 so if you like him don't be afraid to spend a couple more bucks, but make sure you know when to stop.

I find it's best to have a value for each player and then determine what you're willing to spend over that.  Same thing for players you don't want because you think they're valued too high.  If you think the value for a certain player is too high but wouldn't mind having him then have a good idea of what you would be willing to spend on him just in case he doesn't get bid up that high.

Keep an eye out for great values.  Sometimes they can happen after some big spending sprees.  Sometimes everyone gets caught up in something else and a player can go unnoticed.  These are great times to pounce and save some money.