[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Idea for New Fantasy Football League Type - Change Scoring Settings Weekly! Thoughts?

WarRoomCommish

Hello Fantasy Football Universe.  A group of friends and I had a very interesting idea for setting up a new type of Fantasy Football League. We are looking for the ability to change the scoring settings every week. The idea is:

"The team with the lowest score every week gets to choose the scoring settings for the next week."

Mind blowing, I know!  Give it a second to think of the possibilities and amount of strategy needed throughout the season!

To walk through an example: Week 1 we use standard scoring and I end up having the least amount of points. In week 2 I get to decide what the scoring settings are.  So let's say I have an amazing QB but bad RBs, I could set every passing TD to be worth 20 points and each 10 rushing yards be worth 0.5 points.

Thinking this through, things could get very strategic.  As the season gets closer to playoff time, you'll need to start reviewing how this scoring model will affect the other teams in the league.  Let's say both you and another player are very close to the last playoff spot, you would have to look at their best players to understand the scoring options that would most hurt their team in conjunction with helping yours...

Teams might start losing on purpose to get the "power" to control the scoring settings, etc.

So, now come the things we're worried about, which means additional rules:

- Teams cannot intentionally bench all their players or intentionally start injured players to get the lowest score for the week. If they do, then their lowest score will be disqualified by the commish.

- Once we get to the playoffs, we would have to switch back to a standard & locked scoring system, which is agreed to before the season starts.

- Even though teams can control the scoring settings, limits will need to be set.  We can't have a fumble recovery be worth 3000 points.  (We're planning on happy hour next week to define our max and min values allowed for every setting).

- We're also trying to figure out how many bench players are allowed.  We're thinking a small number is best to allow for good waiver wire options/depth once scoring settings are changed every week.

- I'm sure we'll think of some more...

Finally, the thing we're not sure of is: Where to host this type of league!!  I sent a message to Yahoo directly about this idea.  I'm a little worried that Yahoo will not allow changing the scores from one week to the next, and even if the system does, we need to make sure that the changes to not edit/change/update previous week's scores.

Anyway, that's all I had.  Let me know your thoughts on this idea!  Anything from additional rules to think about, strategies that would be cool to try out with this method, Fantasy Football providers that could handle this weird setup, etc.

Thanks for reading!

I wouldn't have any interest in a league like this but to answer your other question, MFL will support changing the scoring each week.  They do not automatically recalculate prior week scores, that must be done manually, and you have the choice to only apply changes to future weeks or past weeks as well:

I've made changes to my scoring rules after the weeks final results have run, but they are not appearing updated for the players weekly scores. How do I update them for this week?

Answer: You will need to go to your Home Page and choose one of the options that appears in your Home Page Message: 

1. Only apply these scoring changes to future weeks.
  2. Apply these scoring changes to week X results, as well as all future weeks.
  3. Apply these scoring changes to all weeks, from week 1 through X results, as well as all future weeks.

Once applying these changes the effects to the detailed players reports will be immediate, but may take an hour to update the overall Top Performers Report for all players. 

NOTE: If your league choose to apply stats changes automatically for a week and you make changes to your rules that you only wish to apply to future weeks you will want to wait until after 10am ET Thursdays to make your scoring rule changes as it will automatically update the weeks scores when stat changes are applied.

Crazy whackadoodle

Sounds like a bunch of geeks (I'm a software developer and know geeks) with too much time on their hands.

I'd hate to be the commish of this league making these changes every week.

I'd suggest some limits to what scoring can be done, or some basic top/bottom limits so it doesn't get too crazy. One guy could eliminate any scoring for QBs because theirs stinks or are out.

Also would result in horrible values for points scored for the NFL players in that league since they'd be subject to changes in scoring rules every week.

Hope your league enjoys it.

There's a reason why the tried-and-true scoring styles have worked for so many for so long, with maybe a few tweaks here and there, as they are fairly simple and fun to play.  When you make something so outlandish and complex that you need a couple of degrees in law and/or accounting to play it, it quickly becomes un-fun and most of the league will scatter to the wind.

• Like 1