Wolverines Fan

Panthers fire GM Dave Gettleman

30 posts in this topic

DeAngelo Williams says he is now willing to come back to the Panthers now that Gettleman is gone.  So they've got that going for them.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

DeAngelo Williams says he is now willing to come back to the Panthers now that Gettleman is gone.  So they've got that going for them.

Like he wouldn't have come back if Gettleman called...

Only real issue with Gettleman that I noticed was using high draft picks on redundant assets. Benjamin and Funchess, McCaffrey and Samuel.

13 hours ago, BA Baracus said:

Only real issue with Gettleman that I noticed was using high draft picks on redundant assets. Benjamin and Funchess, McCaffrey and Samuel.

A good general manager provides what an offensive or defensive coordinator asks.  A bad general manager will impose his will and draft players that don't fit the scheme a coordinator is planning to use.  Mike Shula probably asked for big receivers a couple of years ago so Gettleman drafted him a couple.  If Funchess and Benjamin were better, it wouldn't be an issue.  Now Shula is probably asking for the opposite.  He probably asked for smaller, quick players for a short passing game most likely with the intention of keeping Newton healthy.  Personally, I think they might be planning to use CMC and Samuel like the Packers used Ty Montgomery last year.  Samuel might be a better running back than wide receiver.  I don't think Newton will prosper with a short passing game.  When he throws short, his arm goes in slow motion.  A quick arm is necessary to be effective with short passes.

1 person likes this

was this a complaint with NEP when they draft gronk and hernandez?