[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meet Joe Williams everyone

tazinib1

• 4 weeks later...

Matt Breida is the guy to watch out for, forget this laughable Joe Williams hype.  He came out in games 1 & 3 right after Hyde, and is ahead of Williams on the depth chart. He also graded out as the best RB of any in this loaded draft class.  Keep your eye on this guy.

42 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

keep an eye on raheem mostert, who had a very high SPARQ score and did well in last year's preseason, but I'm not sure why he's not getting a legit regular season chance? Thoughts?

I had never heard of Mostert until today.  But his highlight reel from this preseason is nice.  With Breida and Mostert being small, fast guys, I wonder if either will be given a large load.  Though Mostert does look physical for a small dude.  The 49ers seem sure to pick up a power back in the next few days.  Matt Jones would be perfect since his only issue is fumbling and a team that is in rebuild mode can tolerate fumbling more than a contender.

Edited by michaelredd9

17 hours ago, kdko said:

Screen_Shot_2017_06_19_at_10.10.52_PM (1).png

Both backup running backs for the 9ers, Breida and Mostert, are fast dudes who are Sparq freaks.  Joe Williams isn't a Sparq freak but he is also fast.  Clearly, Lynch/Shanahan are targeting speed at the running back position.  It does lower Breida's and Mostert's value a bit since both seem to bring the same qualities to the table and neither looks like a running back that has the size to carry a heavy load.  It's going to be interesting to see how the 9ers' running back situation unfolds this year.  They do have incentive to play Hyde a lot even if they don't have him in their future plans because the better he does this year the better the compensatory pick will be next year from him leaving in free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Both backup running backs for the 9ers, Breida and Mostert, are fast dudes who are Sparq freaks.  Joe Williams isn't a Sparq freak but he is also fast.  Clearly, Lynch/Shanahan are targeting speed at the running back position.  It does lower Breida's and Mostert's value a bit since both seem to bring the same qualities to the table and neither looks like a running back that has the size to carry a heavy load.  It's going to be interesting to see how the 9ers' running back situation unfolds this year.  They do have incentive to play Hyde a lot even if they don't have him in their future plans because the better he does this year the better the compensatory pick will be next year from him leaving in free agency.

Breida came out directly after Hyde in both games 1 and 3, so I feel like he's the clear #2 behind Hyde.  I stashed him in the 12th round in the off chance that Shanahan uses him as his Tevin Coleman in San Francisco.  There's worse people to grab and hang on to through the first 2 weeks if you went WR-WR-WR!

34 minutes ago, kdko said:

Breida came out directly after Hyde in both games 1 and 3, so I feel like he's the clear #2 behind Hyde.  I stashed him in the 12th round in the off chance that Shanahan uses him as his Tevin Coleman in San Francisco.

I've been drafting Breida based on his place on the depth chart and especially because Hyde is injury prone.  And there aren't many late round fliers available at running back that I am interested in this year.  But I think it's impossible to predict what will happen with their backfield.  They are in the infancy of a brand new program.  If Mostert keeps playing like he has been playing, he could easily leapfrog Breida.  And we know that Mostert has good receiving skills.  He even played wide receiver at times in college.  Breida played on a college team that didn't use running backs as receivers often.  He is a bit of an unknown quantity as a receiver.  Though I guess the fact that he is second on the depth chart means that he must be doing pretty well as a receiver in practice.  To be the Tevin Coleman of the offense, he needs to be a good receiver.

They gave Kyle Juszczyk $21M over 4 years so I think it follows that he may be the main pass catching back in Shanahan's offense.  He caught 78 passes over his last 2 seasons in Baltimore and is quicker than than most people realize.  He doesn't show up on the RB depth chart, but you don't make that much money to block and get short yardage carries.  Wouldn't be surprised if they line him up at TE some either.  Just my 2 cents...    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bburdett said:

They gave Kyle Juszczyk $21M over 4 years so I think it follows that he may be the main pass catching back in Shanahan's offense.  He caught 78 passes over his last 2 seasons in Baltimore and is quicker than than most people realize.  He doesn't show up on the RB depth chart, but you don't make that much money to block and get short yardage carries.  Wouldn't be surprised if they line him up at TE some either.  Just my 2 cents...    

He'll definitely be involved as he's a great blocker, and serviceable with the ball in his hands.  PFF broke down his contract, and SF can get out of it every year.  I wouldn't worry too much about them seeing it through to completion if things don't work out with him, or one of the young RB's bursts out. He's reliable and good insurance, yet not as dynamic as Breida/Williams/Mostert should one of them emerge as someone special.

Juszczyk has $9.75 million guaranteed, so he'll be in San Fran for 2 years minimum.  And he is being paid more than twice as much as any other fullback in the league.  It must be because of his pass-catching abilities.  I've often wondered why teams used to throw to fullbacks but no longer do.  Maybe it's because defenses now defend passes to the backfield better and slow-footed fullbacks don't have the speed to be successful at it.  Juszczyk does have 4.7 speed which is good for a fullback.

Football constantly evolves.  The NFL evolving into a pass-happy league has not been good for fullbacks.  Teams now prefer an extra wide receiver and a single-halfback backfield.  It has made halfbacks being good at pass protection much more important since they are the only backfield protection for the quarterback.  And a lot of halfbacks fail and get benched because of their weakness at pass protection.  Why not have a single-fullback backfield?  It would obviously be great for pass protection.  And as long as the fullback was dexterous and had a little pep to his step, he could average 3.5 physical yards per carry and be a solid receiver.  Due to the Packers lack of competent halfbacks and Ty Montgomery's failings at pass protection, the Packers were forced to use fullback Aaron Ripkowski as a single-set back at times last year.  He did darn good.  He averaged 4.4 ypc that were hard-fought, bone-crunching, and chain-moving yards.  I think that BB Urdett has a point that the 49ers paying Kyle Jusckycxkcyzk so much money is an indication that they are going to use him in unique and creative ways.

Football gurus are gurus because they do innovative things.  Kyle Shanahan's pappy, Skeletor, was an offensive guru.  Zone-blocking is more popular than ever even though rule changes have made it less effective than in Denver's heyday.  Denver's run game wasn't even fair during the Shanny Super Bowl years.  And it beat Mike Holmgren's also revolutionary West Coast offense (props to Bill Walsh) in the Super Bowl.  When Mike Holmgren became the Packers' coach, his first two halfbacks were converted fullbacks.  Edgar Bennett wasn't good at running the ball.  But he was amazing at pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield.  Dorsey Levens was an even better receiver.  And the fact that Levens turned out to have legit halfback skills was a pleasant surprise.  If Kyle Shenanigan is also truly an offensive guru, we can expect innovative strategies to come out of San Fran.  Or maybe Mike Shanahan is still the offensive guru and the innovative strategies are originating with him.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Juszczyk has $9.75 million guaranteed, so he'll be in San Fran for 2 years minimum.  And he is being paid more than twice as much as any other fullback in the league.  It must be because of his pass-catching abilities.  I've often wondered why teams used to throw to fullbacks but no longer do.  Maybe it's because defenses now defend passes to the backfield better and slow-footed fullbacks don't have the speed to be successful at it.  Juszczyk does have 4.7 speed which is good for a fullback.

Football constantly evolves.  The NFL evolving into a pass-happy league has not been good for fullbacks.  Teams now prefer an extra wide receiver and a single-halfback backfield.  It has made halfbacks being good at pass protection much more important since they are the only backfield protection for the quarterback.  And a lot of halfbacks fail and get benched because of their weakness at pass protection.  Why not have a single-fullback backfield?  It would obviously be great for pass protection.  And as long as the fullback was dexterous and had a little pep to his step, he could average 3.5 physical yards per carry and be a solid receiver.  Due to the Packers lack of competent halfbacks and Ty Montgomery's failings at pass protection, the Packers were forced to use fullback Aaron Ripkowski as a single-set back at times last year.  He did darn good.  He averaged 4.4 ypc that were hard-fought, bone-crunching, and chain-moving yards.  I think that BB Urdett has a point that the 49ers paying Kyle Jusckycxkcyzk so much money is an indication that they are going to use him in unique and creative ways.

Football gurus are gurus because they do innovative things.  Kyle Shanahan's pappy, Skeletor, was an offensive guru.  Zone-blocking is more popular than ever even though rule changes have made it less effective than in Denver's heyday.  Denver's run game wasn't even fair during their Super Bowl years.  And it beat Mike Holmgren's also revolutionary West Coast offense (props to Bill Walsh) in the Super Bowl.  When Mike Holmgren became the Packers' coach, his first two halfbacks were converted fullbacks.  Edgar Bennett wasn't good at running the ball.  But he was amazing at pass protection and as a receiver out of the backfield.  Dorsey Levens was an even better receiver.  And the fact that Levens turned out to have legit halfback skills was a pleasant surprise.  If Kyle Shenanigan is also truly an offensive guru, we can expect innovative strategies to come out of San Fran.  Or maybe Mike Shanahan is still the offensive guru and the innovative strategies are originating with him.

So is Juice the stash?  I feel like someone behind Hyde is going to have a lot of value in a Shanahan run offense, and they are living on the wire right now.  I'd like to stash either Breida or Juice before the first week in case someone falls into the Coleman role.  Maybe Breida because he'd take over if Hyde goes down, as opposed to Juice who may have some immediate flex value in PPR, but a lower ceiling?

41 minutes ago, kdko said:

So is Juice the stash?

I was talking real football, not fantasy football.  Au Jus getting 40 receptions and few yards rushing isn't fantasy relevant.  Though maybe he'll get more than his 25 total yards rushing that he got the last two years in Baltimore.  But he can still affect the other 9ers' running back production especially in the pass game.  I also think they might just be trying some stuff out.  They don't care about winning this year.  It is a good time to experiment.  I think your original post about Breida's potential value is spot on.  This offense could easily produce fantasy value at the running back position this year.  And if/when Hyde gets hurt, Breida is the first man up.

Edited by michaelredd9