[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Re-pick draft order?

Splattacular

Ok guys, about a month until the season starts and my league already has an issue. We based our draft order on the MLB HR Derby, and everything was fine until yesterday. The guy with the 1st pick in the draft has decided he cannot play this year. The team with the 5 pick was being managed by 2 people (1 person wanted to join but the league was full, so it was ok'd by the league for the team to be co-managed). So I offered the late person the team that had 1st pick, the original manager of the team doesnt agree with that because he feels like he should  have the 1st pick and the late entry guy should have the 5th pick.  I offered both the option to flip and coin to decide who gets 1st and who gets 5th pick.  They both do not want to flip a coin stating "the other person will win, and I'll be stuck with 5th"  So,  now both of them want to re pick the draft order.  What would you do in this situation? Thanks for your input.

Take control of the situation now.  If they're fighting over that, the season will be a nightmare.  You're the commish, tell them there will be a coin toss and if they don't like it they can take their circus elsewhere.

Oh...and welcome to the huddle. :brew:

• Like 3

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I try to be the fairest commish I can be, by usually leaving evertrying up to a vote, but re picking the order isn't fair for the people who have spots 2, 3 and 4.  Even spots 6-10 didnt care about thr coin flip AND they have worse picks than these 2 dummies... You're right though, time to nut up and put my foot down. These 2 have been in my league before than quit and now they're back..and they've always been a headache..

• Like 1

It's not that simple when you're dealing with babies lol. Both are pretty much saying they'll quit if they are handed spot 5. Both of them are pouting how they each should have the number one pick.  I've been running this league for 5 years now, and I've had maybe 1 year that hasn't been a nightmare lol

14 minutes ago, Splattacular said:

It's not that simple when you're dealing with babies lol. Both are pretty much saying they'll quit if they are handed spot 5. Both of them are pouting how they each should have the number one pick.  I've been running this league for 5 years now, and I've had maybe 1 year that hasn't been a nightmare lol

Tell them exactly how it's going to be, and start looking for another person immediately! I'm sure there's someone that you know that would love to be in the league that won't be giving you this kind of headache.  Win-win situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Splattacular said:

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I try to be the fairest commish I can be, by usually leaving evertrying up to a vote, but re picking the order isn't fair for the people who have spots 2, 3 and 4.  Even spots 6-10 didnt care about thr coin flip AND they have worse picks than these 2 dummies... You're right though, time to nut up and put my foot down. These 2 have been in my league before than quit and now they're back..and they've always been a headache..

This makes it even easier.... eliminate the teams with the 1st and 5th picks and get rid of the headache now before it becomes even worse, play this season with the 8 remaining teams.  Everyone else just slots up accordingly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Splattacular said:

I have one just like them, so I know where you're coming from on this.  ;)

• Like 1

Tell them they can either figure it out themselves or you will just find another owner to take team 1 and they can either co-manage team 5 per the original agreement or both get bent.  People making a stink on something like this in year 1 aren't worth keeping around and they definitely aren't worth capitulating to.

• Like 4

And that's that. I let everyone in the league ( besides those 2 guys) vote if the draft order should be re picked, and they voted no. Then I asked the late joining manager of the spot 5 team if he would still play if I gave him the number 1 spot and gave his other co manager the boot, and he said no. So, I gave them both the boot. I got told I was on some "bitch manure" and that was the end of it.  It only took 2 hrs and we have 2 new members that agreed on flipping a coin for pick #1 and pick #5.  Thanks for all the input guys, it's much appreciated and I can rest a little easier now!

• Like 4

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Splattacular said:

ETA - see your resoution, great job.  Babies should go play in the sandbox instead of ruining the league.

Its nice to be democratic and vote on some things, but too often it gives people a chance to be completely selfish (like have votes on trades). Sometimes you need to be more firm and say "this is what we're doing or I quit as commish and somebody else can take over" watch how they all cower and say they're not interested.

The whole "we use MLB HR derby to set draft order" thing sounds rather bizarre and has me wondering about the league in general.

Sounds like you just need some new owners, tell both owners the other is getting the #1 pick, watch them both quit and either replace them or play with 2 less teams and find new owners next year.

Edited by stevegrab

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

ETA - see your resoution, great job.  Babies should go play in the sandbox instead of ruining the league.

Its nice to be democratic and vote on some things, but too often it gives people a chance to be completely selfish (like have votes on trades). Sometimes you need to be more firm and say "this is what we're doing or I quit as commish and somebody else can take over" watch how they all cower and say they're not interested.

The whole "we use MLB HR derby to set draft order" thing sounds rather bizarre and has me wondering about the league in general.

Sounds like you just need some new owners, tell both owners the other is getting the #1 pick, watch them both quit and either replace them or play with 2 less teams and find new owners next year.

Im just trying to be the best commissioner I can be lol a la Arian Foster lmao.  But yeah, stuff like this isn't too common so I just wanted some input from others. 

If I may ask, why do you find using the HR derby as a way to set the draft order bizarre? We've done the Kentucky Derby before as well,  I just feel it makes the whole situation a little more interesting, than just pulling names out of a hat.   Is that what you're more accustomed to? Or even using last year's standings?

Just curious.

RE Draft order

Yep we do simple reverse finishing order (keeper), most do that or a purely random order (draw cards, random number generator).

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Our league has been around 20+ years most owners are 45-55 in age, we don't have lots of gimmicks to keep things interesting. Using the Kentucky Derby would seem just as odd (maybe better word than bizarre). Never heard of that kind of thing being done.

PS  Your response to the quoted post was imbedded in the post, not sure why but made it hard to see/read.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how that happened, but yea  I get ya, and it's kind of gimmicky but it works and keeps things interesting in this league atleast.

I put all of the owners names in list and had it randomly generate numbers to the names, then did the same thing with the HR derby participants. Whoever matched your number is your guy in the derby.  Obviously people were praying to get Stanton and Judge lol but Stanton coming in 6th this year was a bit of a surprise to everyone. 

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM, tazinib1 said:

We have a different definition of "playing in the sandbox" here in SoCal lol :boxing:

Does it have to do with a big age gap between people dating?  We used to call that robbing the cradle.

Or is it swinging, which we called swinging.

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Does it have to do with a big age gap between people dating?  We used to call that robbing the cradle.

Or is it swinging, which we called swinging.

:lol: not even close. "Wanna go play in the Sandbox??" means we are going to the beach and duke it out. Usually happens at a beach bar.  

1 hour ago, tazinib1 said:

:lol: not even close. "Wanna go play in the Sandbox??" means we are going to the beach and duke it out. Usually happens at a beach bar. 

Thought the boxing gloves meant something. I lived in LA (1870-82) in my childhood and still visit occassionally, never heard the expression used that way but then I didn't hang out at beach bars much then.

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Thought the boxing gloves meant something. I lived in LA (1870-82) in my childhood and still visit occassionally, never heard the expression used that way but then I didn't hang out at beach bars much then.

You are a lot older that i thought you were.

• Like 1