[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colin Kaepernick to the Ravens??

tazinib1

12 hours ago, Def. said:

Backup QB...hes a non-story despite ESPN want for him to be relevant. 

So if he's signed and Flacco's back problem worsens, he's still a non story? Gotcha 

And it's not just ESPN lol. It's every sports media outlet in the country. 

Edited by tazinib1

20 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

So if he's signed and Flacco's back problem worsens, he's still a non story? Gotcha 

Every media outlet wants him to be relevant cause he's polarizing.  If your looking at his playing history though, he is mediocre at best.  Signing Kaepernick will not save the Ravens, it will actually just complicate matters more since they are very different styles of QB.  Thus I think this, like all the other reports on him thus far this year, are a non-story.  Odds are Ravens won't sign him, and in 2 weeks will be listening to how another team is considering Kaep to hold a clipboard.  And if I'm wrong and they do sign and start him, well I think it will just help usher another Harbaugh in to NFL coaching free agency.  He's just not good.   

2 hours ago, Def. said:

Every media outlet wants him to be relevant cause he's polarizing.  If your looking at his playing history though, he is mediocre at best.  Signing Kaepernick will not save the Ravens, it will actually just complicate matters more since they are very different styles of QB.  Thus I think this, like all the other reports on him thus far this year, are a non-story.  Odds are Ravens won't sign him, and in 2 weeks will be listening to how another team is considering Kaep to hold a clipboard.  And if I'm wrong and they do sign and start him, well I think it will just help usher another Harbaugh in to NFL coaching free agency.  He's just not good.   

I never said he was good enough to start but definitely worthy of b/u duties. Have you seen some of the QB's signed this off season? He is certainly better than the majority of scrubs teams are signing. 

Plus i have him on a 3yr contract in my Dynasty. If he doesn't get signed, I'll have to release him and be on the hook for 2 dead years. So yeah I have a pony in this race. 

• Like 1

I think sometimes fantasy folk judge a player harshly because he isn't a great fantasy football player.  There are 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL, not 12.  Kaepernick isn't very valuable for fantasy purposes.  He is still an NFL caliber quarterback.  He had the 17th highest quarterback rating last year with a rating of 90.7.  He had 16 passing touchdowns and only 4 interceptions in 11 games started.  For his career, he has 72 touchdowns passes versus only 30 interceptions.  He has thrown interceptions on only 1.8% of his passes in his career.  That is the second best percentage of all-time trailing only Aaron Rodgers.

A quarterback belongs in the NFL if he has a 60% completion percentage, rarely throws interceptions, and can run like a gazelle.  Teams can say he isn't being blackballed but he would definitely be on a team if it weren't for his protests.  It looks like he'll have to bide his time.  But he will get the chance to be a starting quarterback again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Def. said:

I understand why teams would be reticent to acquire him. He causes a backlash with the paying customers/fans. I don't think he is that good of a QB anyway, but even if he is in that great unwashed batch of average QBs, his only differentiator now is his political baggage that he knowingly caused. Some football writers like to point out that the league seems to get over domestic violence, drugs, etc.. but 32 teams are blackballing him unfairly.

As wrong and as bad as the acts of other players were, they did not offend the very sense of identity of so many fans. And so watching him play for their home team cannot be enjoyed by them - no one wants their home team to hire a QB they hate because they don't want to root for him. Team owners will pay attention when campaigns sprout up against adding a player - why would they disaffect a chunk of their customers for someone that is not going to be a difference maker anyway? I don't think he is anything more than average on a good day personally.

I have never heard of any group of fans banding together to demand their team hires him. It is a bottom line game and teams simply do not see him as a positive addition considering their fan base. I am not sure that is going to change ever.Too many people felt he openly disrespected them and the country that allows him to live an incredible lifestyle for playing a game.

There are tons of players dumping into the league every year and there is always someone else to take anyone's place. I don't understand why he is still worthy of discussion other than the above point. He is polarizing and it makes for something to write about. We did not have the annual Mike Vick dogs or Ray Rice elevator or anything to obsess over this year. I guess it is ESPN/et al trying to milk a story.

13 hours ago, LordOpie said:

i have never seen this before...

Owner Steve Bisciotti indicated that whether the Ravens sign free agent Colin Kaepernick will be determined at least partly by fan reaction to the potential deal.

The Ravens have reportedly been "inundated" by fan messages since coach John Harbaugh leaked word the team was considering signing Kaepernick. "I hope we do what is best for the team and balance that with what is best for our fans," Bisciotti said. "Your opinions matter to us. … We’re very sensitive to it, and we’re monitoring it, and we’re trying to figure out what’s the right tact." Bisciotti said he is praying about the decision and asked fans to "pray for us."

There is a group that have been lobbying teams that have expressed interest in Kaep with massive protests, email campaigns and other forms of social media. When a team is weighing in on fan reaction, they need to take this group out of the equation. Seems they got nothing else better to do than to troll teams Kaep visits. They did it with the Giants and they did it with Seattle. Now they are doing it with the Ravens. 

13 hours ago, LordOpie said:

i have never seen this before...

Owner Steve Bisciotti indicated that whether the Ravens sign free agent Colin Kaepernick will be determined at least partly by fan reaction to the potential deal.

The Ravens have reportedly been "inundated" by fan messages since coach John Harbaugh leaked word the team was considering signing Kaepernick. "I hope we do what is best for the team and balance that with what is best for our fans," Bisciotti said. "Your opinions matter to us. … We’re very sensitive to it, and we’re monitoring it, and we’re trying to figure out what’s the right tact." Bisciotti said he is praying about the decision and asked fans to "pray for us."

When your starting QB and HC have backed the signing of Kaep, that should be enough. Fans come and go. 

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM, tazinib1 said:

What is there to suggest Flacco's back problem will worsen or that the Ravens need somebody to takeover the QB job?

They are missing a QB, they have things to do in training camp like drills that require QBs to throw, hand off, etc. They'd rather have a player doing that than a coach (which is what they were doing). Does not mean they need a new qualified backup for the season, Flacco is expected to miss time, or anything else. The offseason has driven people bonkers with speculation.

Now its all clear, wishful tinking because you have him on some fantasy team :rolleyes: people really need to learn to sepearate their fantasy football wishes from the reality of the NFL game.

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM, DMD said:

I understand why teams would be reticent to acquire him. He causes a backlash with the paying customers/fans. I don't think he is that good of a QB anyway, but even if he is in that great unwashed batch of average QBs, his only differentiator now is his political baggage that he knowingly caused. Some football writers like to point out that the league seems to get over domestic violence, drugs, etc.. but 32 teams are blackballing him unfairly.

As wrong and as bad as the acts of other players were, they did not offend the very sense of identity of so many fans. And so watching him play for their home team cannot be enjoyed by them - no one wants their home team to hire a QB they hate because they don't want to root for him. Team owners will pay attention when campaigns sprout up against adding a player - why would they disaffect a chunk of their customers for someone that is not going to be a difference maker anyway? I don't think he is anything more than average on a good day personally.

I have never heard of any group of fans banding together to demand their team hires him. It is a bottom line game and teams simply do not see him as a positive addition considering their fan base. I am not sure that is going to change ever.Too many people felt he openly disrespected them and the country that allows him to live an incredible lifestyle for playing a game.

There are tons of players dumping into the league every year and there is always someone else to take anyone's place. I don't understand why he is still worthy of discussion other than the above point. He is polarizing and it makes for something to write about. We did not have the annual Mike Vick dogs or Ray Rice elevator or anything to obsess over this year. I guess it is ESPN/et al trying to milk a story.

Well said

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

What is there to suggest Flacco's back problem will worsen or that the Ravens need somebody to takeover the QB job?

They are missing a QB, they have things to do in training camp like drills that require QBs to throw, hand off, etc. They'd rather have a player doing that than a coach (which is what they were doing). Does not mean they need a new qualified backup for the season, Flacco is expected to miss time, or anything else. The offseason has driven people bonkers with speculation.

Now its all clear, wishful tinking because you have him on some fantasy team :rolleyes: people really need to learn to sepearate their fantasy football wishes from the reality of the NFL game.

You can't tell me that teams don't speculate ALL the time.  If this player goes down, whose going to step in.  If they don't they are stupid!  Crazy crap happens all the time.  It's absolutely possible that Flacco's back flares up or has issues and he's out a little longer then expected.  Having a quality backup in place now to get quality reps is incredibly important.  I don't care who they sign, but they better be ready to play.  And yes, it's all just in case.

1 hour ago, NAUgrad said:

You can't tell me that teams don't speculate ALL the time.  If this player goes down, whose going to step in.  If they don't they are stupid!  Crazy crap happens all the time.  It's absolutely possible that Flacco's back flares up or has issues and he's out a little longer then expected.  Having a quality backup in place now to get quality reps is incredibly important.  I don't care who they sign, but they better be ready to play.  And yes, it's all just in case.

Anything is possible, doesn't mean it is likely. People are acting like there is a reasonable chance that Flacco misses significant time this season, based on what?

They have a backup (Ryan Mallet) that going into this season they felt was what they needed. Flacco missing time in camp but expected to be ready for the regular season means they're short a QB for training camp and needed to sign somebody. That doesn't need to be a former starting QB who can step in and replace him. Sure since they're signing another QB they'll look at guys like Griffin and Kaep, but that isn't a sign that Flacco won't be ready, or is likely to have a setback. If those guys were better backups than Mallet, why weren't they pursued long ago?

Toss in Taz and his "but he's on my team I need him to be signed" tainting the perspective.

24 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

taz likes to use the main forum to hype players so he can show leaguemates and then try to trade said players using this forum to maximize value

So do many other..... (not in a league with you), but certainly aware of others

50 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Toss in Taz and his "but he's on my team I need him to be signed" tainting the perspective.

44 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

taz likes to use the main forum to hype players so he can show leaguemates and then try to trade said players using this forum to maximize value

You 2 should get a room. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:31 PM, michaelredd9 said:

I think sometimes fantasy folk judge a player harshly because he isn't a great fantasy football player.  There are 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL, not 12.  Kaepernick isn't very valuable for fantasy purposes.  He is still an NFL caliber quarterback.  He had the 17th highest quarterback rating last year with a rating of 90.7.  He had 16 passing touchdowns and only 4 interceptions in 11 games started.  For his career, he has 72 touchdowns passes versus only 30 interceptions.  He has thrown interceptions on only 1.8% of his passes in his career.  That is the second best percentage of all-time trailing only Aaron Rodgers.

A quarterback belongs in the NFL if he has a 60% completion percentage, rarely throws interceptions, and can run like a gazelle.  Teams can say he isn't being blackballed but he would definitely be on a team if it weren't for his protests.  It looks like he'll have to bide his time.  But he will get the chance to be a starting quarterback again.

I would actually argue that he has more value as a fantasy QB than a real QB, similar to Bortles.  Kaepernick is not terrible but he's certainly not great.  He's barely a starting QB in the NFL if any team would be willing, but for fantasy he can really offer some great upside and last year proved that.