[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pay for losses in faab league?

squasher

One of my local leagues finally changed to a faab system this season. We've always paid for losses and the commish  wants that to continue, even though we are switching. He's getting heat from other members that think we would be punishing teams more that blew their budget and suffered injuries. Not only would they not get any free agents, now were gonna make them pay. Honestly I dont care either way but I'm looking for help to settle the argument between them. Whats the norm for faab leagues?

They want to punish teams that suffered injuries?  Some seasons can be brutal enough in FF due to injuries, and then yes, you are forced to go thru your credits/blind bidding bucks to try and salvage your year.  Making someone pay for something that is completely out of their control is pretty unreasonable, and asking for trouble with disgruntled team owners.

Sounds like a good way to look for lot's of new members every year...JMHO.  Stick with a small fee for losses...

We've had the same group of 12 for the past 6 seasons and 9 of the 12 have been in the league since the beginning, which was 2004. Turnover is not an issue here. Owners have been charged for losses since the 1st season. All the money from losses goes into the pot that is paid out at the end of the season. I'm just looking for what the general rule of thumb is in leagues that use FAAB.

They are 2 separate things.

What the debate is about is with faab, if you blow your budget early it's much harder to improve your roster later in the season if you suffer injuries or your team just sucks. Some teams don't think it's fair to continue charging for losses because something like that could happen. In the past if your team sucks and you were losing every week, yes you were getting charged for a loss but you always had first shot at a free agent to help you improve. I guess it's not a big deal either way. I'm just looking for how other leagues do it. 

On 8/6/2017 at 5:50 PM, squasher said:

They are 2 separate things.

What the debate is about is with faab, if you blow your budget early it's much harder to improve your roster later in the season if you suffer injuries or your team just sucks. Some teams don't think it's fair to continue charging for losses because something like that could happen. In the past if your team sucks and you were losing every week, yes you were getting charged for a loss but you always had first shot at a free agent to help you improve. I guess it's not a big deal either way. I'm just looking for how other leagues do it. 

You're not going to find many people that do it. 

If an owner blows their budget and misses there's a consequence.  In most leagues it's just that they suck.  In yours it's that they suck and get fined for it.

I know two great ways to not get fined for your team sucking:

A - Don't suck

B - Don't play in leagues that fine sucking

On 8/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, gilthorp said:

You never blow your budget...simple.

If it's blown, you mismanage. In your league, if you mismanage, you pay the price, so perhaps you need to tell owners they need to not shoot their wad prematurely.

That's what she said!

• Like 1