[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Agent Auction Bidding?

Big Dogs

Hi all.... 

I'm the commish of a 20 year old league, and we have always used a waiver system for free agent pick ups during the season.  There's a suggestion to move to a Free Agent Auction Bidding system, however, I've never used, and need some advice from other commissioners or those familiar with using this system on how to set it up.  

We charge for player acquisitions during the season.  What's the easiest way to set up and structure to use?   

5 hours ago, Big Dogs said:

Hi all.... 

I'm the commish of a 20 year old league, and we have always used a waiver system for free agent pick ups during the season.  There's a suggestion to move to a Free Agent Auction Bidding system, however, I've never used, and need some advice from other commissioners or those familiar with using this system on how to set it up.  

We charge for player acquisitions during the season.  What's the easiest way to set up and structure to use?   

In case that wasn't obvious I think you're being directed to another thread with that discussion.

I noticed yesterday that pasting a link to a thread and pressing enter caused it to embed the topic/post in your response. Click on the Blind Bid Waivers text in that post to go to that topic.

What do you currently charge for acquisitions? What does the average team pay per year for acquisitions?

I ask because I used to play in a league that did free agent bidding, but bidding was real dollars, and the money was added to the prize pool. So, if you want to bid $20 on a playr, go for it, but you are paying $20 cash for him. In that particular league, FCFS free agent pickups were $2 each. What we did to prevent anyone not paying up was that every team put in a $100 deposit for transactions. Once that ran out, oweners would have to pay up more in order to be able to bid on players.  Alternatively, you could just put a cap on it (ie all teams get a max of $100 to spend) or you could do something like $20 gets you 100 FA dollars.

A lot of different ways it could be structured so that you have an auction system for free agents and still collect a form of transaction fee for pickups.

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

In case that wasn't obvious I think you're being directed to another thread with that discussion.

I noticed yesterday that pasting a link to a thread and pressing enter caused it to embed the topic/post in your response. Click on the Blind Bid Waivers text in that post to go to that topic.

Yeah, I thought that was odd but just searched and tossed that out there , I was busy and was going to get back to this thread at some pt but hadn't yet

Thanks....  I did a search on Free Agent Bidding, but didn't see that thread.    Our league voted to NOT move to a free agent bidding system this year, but we are going to look at it deeper and will most likely try it next year.    

Our general thought was to increase the overall buy in by $25 - $30 bucks for all teams.  Each team would have a budget of $200 bucks for the year to bid on players through the waiver process.  If a player cleared waivers, it was then a FCFS for that player, and any free agent moves would cost $1 in real money.