[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elliott suspended 6 games.

Hawkeye21

The only way out for the NFL is to suspend Zeke for 2 games for pulling down the woman's shirt and vacate the suspension for DV because of new evidence and witness testimony creating in inconclusive finding of DV. They will have to take their punishment for mucking the investigation but no one could argue against the suspension for the shirt thing. If they don't do that, Elliott has to fight because he can't afford not to and allow the DV to stick if he didn't do it. The NFL has to fight because they backed themselves into a corner. I see this as the only way out.  

They NFL botched this one too. How do you ignore the lead investigators findings? Hell why did you hire her in the first place if you aren't going to listen to her.

Edited by Cowboyz1

I almost always side with the victim in cases like this.  But this "lady" (I use that term loosely) has zero credibility.  There are text messages where she says that she wanted to blackmail Zeke.  And there is evidence that she tried to get witnesses to lie.  In the famous words of the Marion Barry, "bitch set me up".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cowboyz1 said:

The only way out for the NFL is to suspend Zeke for 2 games for pulling down the woman's shirt and vacate the suspension for DV because of new evidence and witness testimony creating in inconclusive finding of DV. They will have to take their punishment for mucking the investigation but no one could argue against the suspension for the shirt thing. If they don't do that, Elliott has to fight because he can't afford not to and allow the DV to stick if he didn't do it. The NFL has to fight because they backed themselves into a corner. I see this as the only way out.  

They NFL botched this one too. How do you ignore the lead investigators findings? Hell why did you hire her in the first place if you aren't going to listen to her.

No one opposes Goddell! No one! 

1 hour ago, Cowboyz1 said:

I agree the NFL backed themselves into a corner with this one, but I don't see any way they completely change course and suspend him for lifting the woman's shirt, since they said originally that had no impact on this case.  I think at this point the suspension is either upheld or dropped entirely.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I did a little reading on this weeks ago.  During the Brady fiasco, the NFL filed suit against Brady within minutes of their ruling against him in order to make sure the court handling the case would be favorable to the NFL.  The suit Elliot filed is almost certainly a measure taken to prevent the NFL from doing that to him.

2 hours ago, DanTheMan_5 said:

I agree the NFL backed themselves into a corner with this one, but I don't see any way they completely change course and suspend him for lifting the woman's shirt, since they said originally that had no impact on this case.  I think at this point the suspension is either upheld or dropped entirely.

As far as the lawsuit goes, I did a little reading on this weeks ago.  During the Brady fiasco, the NFL filed suit against Brady within minutes of their ruling against him in order to make sure the court handling the case would be favorable to the NFL.  The suit Elliot filed is almost certainly a measure taken to prevent the NFL from doing that to him.

Yep, Jerry is no push over. If Jerry believes Elliott, which is sounds like he does based on his statements of "there is nothing there", Jerry is going to war with the NFL and he has the money, contacts, and the attitude to wage it. They blew this one. My question has always been, why would this woman have to ask her friend to lie if Elliott had ever put his hands on her? She would have asked her to "remember when" instead of "say this for me k". Total botch job by the NFL and now they're in for a fight. Jerry has a lot of power and he will go to the mat for "his guys".

Edited by Cowboyz1

So...I bit the bullet last night.  16 team standard redraft league where we technically only have to start 1 RB, but can potentially start 2.  Benches are small and quality goes very quickly when you have to wait 20+ picks to pick again etc.. Our league also plays all the way until week 17 and then those who make the playoffs redraft out of the teams that make the actual playoffs (each round until the actual Super Bowl). 

So that being said, I took Zeke at #7 overall.  The first 6 picks were RB's and Antonio Brown, so Julio and Beckham were still on the board.  Doubting I made the right call??  I figured I'd get more use out of him because of the length of our regular season and we only have to start one RB so there were suitable backups to tide me over until Zeke's (hopefully reduced) suspension is over.  I did manage to snag McFadden though and CJ Anderson is my fill in as well.

5 hours ago, captain77 said:

Knowing the info we currently know now, is 6th overall in a 12 team league too early to gamble on Zeke?

Balls to the wall... yes.  They can settle this at 2 games for lifting the girl's shirt up with no penalty due to lack of credible evidence for the other offense.  Win-win for everyone.  But they are all too dumb to see it.

39 minutes ago, Big John said:

Meaning in the previous post that his suspension was upheld.

Edit: He will be allowed to play week 1.

The way I read Shefter's tweet is that week 1 is still not Guaranteed because of the NFL's attempt to block the PA from dragging this out like Brady for no reason, again, what people seem to forget is it doesn't matter if the NFL botched this or not and that the NFLPA gave Goodel 100% power and If Goodell feels a 6 game suspension is warranted, thats the way it is, that's what the players agreed to in the CBA, judge jury executioner. Just like Brady's, the courts will not be looking at whether Zeke did or didn't do anything, This isn't about evidence, it's about whether the NFL properly followed the procedures outlined in the CBA. 

Edited by Gourdeau

So the weak attempts to stall the suspension in the court system is getting old. The suspension is still going to be served just at a later date. How late?Ddepends on how far the lawyers appeal. And being lawyers, they're going to appeal all the way to the supreme court if they can because the more they appeal the more they get paid. Time to end this bolshevik. I say if the player takes it to the court system and loses then when he finally starts serving the suspension it gets doubled. And he has to pay the NFL's layers' fees as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tripleshot said:

So the weak attempts to stall the suspension in the court system is getting old. The suspension is still going to be served just at a later date. How late?Ddepends on how far the lawyers appeal. And being lawyers, they're going to appeal all the way to the supreme court if they can because the more they appeal the more they get paid. Time to end this bolshevik. I say if the player takes it to the court system and loses then when he finally starts serving the suspension it gets doubled. And he has to pay the NFL's layers' fees as well. 

So you want to penalize someone for exercising their rights to the appeals process??   

11 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

So you want to penalize someone for exercising their rights to the appeals process??   

The appeals process is pointless and not winable.. the NFLPA gave the NFL ultimate power as judge jury executioner.. the appeals process only examines whether the nfl used proper protocol as per the cba .. when a judge is presented with a case from the NFL  that says " hey they agreed to give us full discretion, we investigated and regardless of the outcome of that investigationwe feel that it is in the best interest of our brand to suspend this player because we found this this and this" the court can't rule against that because that's the agreement the NFLPA signed for

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

The appeals process is pointless and not winable.. the NFLPA gave the NFL ultimate power as judge jury executioner.. the appeals process only examines whether the nfl used proper protocol as per the cba .. when a judge is presented with a case from the NFL  that says " hey they agreed to give us full discretion, we investigated and regardless of the outcome of that investigationwe feel that it is in the best interest of our brand to suspend this player because we found this this and this" the court can't rule against that because that's the agreement the NFLPA signed for

I fully understand the appeals process. What I was asking him, is if the TRO is not granted, he has a legal right to appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court even if it is not winnable in people's eyes. Should he just give up that right and/or get penalized for exorcising it?  What the NFL needs to do, is get out of the legal business all together. But the NFLPA agreed to give them that power and now these are the kind of results that they are unfortunately fighting against. 

Edited by tazinib1

Well, they may or may not have successfully bought Zeke a season of playing. What is boils down to now is this. Will the Cowboys and Jerry Jones via the NFLPA get a favorable judge who believes that suspending Zeke for DV while the lead prosecutor who was the only one to interview the clients recommended NO punishment. We are not talking about inflating balls here we are talking about labeling a guy a woman beater. That may carry some weight in the eyes of a Judge. If the procedure was to hire an investigator to give you reasonable assurance that Zeke did in fact perp DV. Then, when that same person comes back to you and tells you I don't believe what the woman told me was true and you go ahead and punish him anyway? That sets a very very VERY bad precedent. One that will surely haunt players and woman for a long time. Woman can now have leverage over NFL players, while players will be far more suspect of woman. In a case like this, I am normally with the woman all the way, but not when you lie or ask others to lie for you and threaten to lie for revenge. NO, I don't agree with that at all. So perhaps he may have a chance in this case.

Either way, Zeke walked himself into this because he could have surrounded himself with people to avoid this situation from the beginning and avoid her all together. I no that's easier said then done when it comes to relationships sometimes but in his position he has to be smart.

Edited by Cowboyz1

On 9/5/2017 at 10:50 PM, Gourdeau said:

This is entirely correct. He'll lose the temporary restraining order case and then be out week 2. Or, he'll win the TRO and then get booted by the NFL's case in their friendly NY court. Brady already went through all of this and lost - with a stronger case. The courts do not re-create the wheel when they have precedent to go by.

As far as the courts go, the facts that lead to the suspension are completely irrelevant.

• Thanks 1