[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction resources

soopanuts

Establishing a budget and following it (at least loosely) is by far the best thing you can do to prepare. Decide what you want to spend on which position and fill in best you can. Unlike a draft, you can target anyone but should always stay alert for good values.

Do a bunch of mock drafts.  Auction mocks usually don't give you a great sense of what specific players are going to go for in your league but it will at least help you get a sense of how to budget your money.  I don't think you want to go into an auction draft without having any experience at all.

Thanks Hawkeye21. I've done one already and will definitely do more. I already found that since it isn't real, owners are bidding top players higher than their projected ceilings. For example, 66 for A. Brown (200 budget). Is my assessment accurate for mocks? Expect it to temper a bit when we go for real.

19 hours ago, soopanuts said:

Thanks Hawkeye21. I've done one already and will definitely do more. I already found that since it isn't real, owners are bidding top players higher than their projected ceilings. For example, 66 for A. Brown (200 budget). Is my assessment accurate for mocks? Expect it to temper a bit when we go for real.

You won't really know what players are going to go for until the actual draft.  If you get the same guys together every year you'll have a much better idea of how the draft is going to go.  I always keep the results from each year's draft and review them.  I have a very good idea what each player is going for since I know the max people are willing to spend.

This is what I know for sure, if there are some players that you know you really want to have on your team make sure you get at least one.  You may need to overspend a couple bucks but you'll feel much better about your team.  It sucks finishing a draft and having some extra money knowing you could have used that on a guy you really liked.  There of course has to be a limit to those guys.  If you have three guys you really like and they're all going $10 more than you think they're valued at then it's just not worth getting them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played in multiple auction leagues for almost 20 years now and the top end players usually average anywhere from 70-80 points from a 200pt salary cap. 

It doesn't matter what the top end players go for, what matters is the impact it'll have on the rest of the draft.  If they go high, you'll find great value at the middle to end of draft if you plan for it. If the top end  guy's go low, you can expect lower end guy's to go at a higher price. 

Supply and demand dictates price as well.