[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Allen Robinson vs Cameron Meredith

seanmays

NFL fans all around, it's nearly that time of the year again!

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here in the UK though - I'm struggling to solidify my GW1 starting lineup in the WR department. Though I drafted 7th, I managed to pick up a strong offense in my book (particularly in the RB department) but my WR department does appear to be lacking a little. 

Davante Adams is a sure starter in my line up but the second WR position is up for grabs and fighting it out are Cameron Meredith and Allen Robinson. 

Both players have plus points and both come with an element of risk. In an ideal world, Robinson would be straight in my team and gaining some all important yards. In an ideal world, however, he simply WOULD NOT be receiving any passes from the mishap that has been Blake Bortles (or possibly Chad Henne, not that the outcome bodes any better). Then we come to Meredith...

He is undoubtedly talented but I am again left in the same position as with Robinson - he doesn't have a solid QB behind him. Do I put my faith in Robinson or Meredith? This is the all important question!

It's like choosing between a needle in the eye and a knife in the eye with these two, and my struggle entirely surrounds whose throwing them the ball, not their own abilities which is the most frustrating thing. If it weren't for the fact the Bears can't decide on a starting QB I would side with Meredith - teamed with a performing Trubisky I feel as though he could rack up some points, but with Glennon expected to be No1, I don't have the faith. Glennon seems to lack any ability in the pocket and, at least in preseason, he's been playing it so so safe, dumping the ball on the RB or throwing dinky, almost pointless, throws to teammates and averaging a measly 4.19 yards per completion...

This does not bode well for my WR...

6 minutes ago, seanmays said:

It's like choosing between a needle in the eye and a knife in the eye with these two, and my struggle entirely surrounds whose throwing them the ball, not their own abilities which is the most frustrating thing. If it weren't for the fact the Bears can't decide on a starting QB I would side with Meredith - teamed with a performing Trubisky I feel as though he could rack up some points, but with Glennon expected to be No1, I don't have the faith. Glennon seems to lack any ability in the pocket and, at least in preseason, he's been playing it so so safe, dumping the ball on the RB or throwing dinky, almost pointless, throws to teammates and averaging a measly 4.19 yards per completion...

This does not bode well for my WR...

But you retain both guys services for the year right?  It's choosing between them to start correct but not dropping one for another? ignore the horrid teams and their situations. A.Rob's volume should put him in front of Meredith, but with that said I don't see White or Cruz out playing Meredith weekly. You know JAX will have to pass to win.  CHI on the other hand might be more run first.  

Meredith upside is there. A.Rob's 2015 ceiling is pretty high I don't think he gets to those career 14 TD's but at least you know he's capable, also 17.5 YPC with 80 catches is pretty elite, last year he regressed especially in his catch rate I'm blaming Bortles but 48% catch rate is low (Bortles mos def the main reason, Hopkins had the same issue 151 targets but lowish catch rate) although 151 targets is still in that top ten with other elite WR's.

Yes I am purely at the point of decision in deciding which one to start. While minutes played are going to be a huge factor in this decision, I don't want to pick a sure starter who has such a lack of talent around him that his skills are not utilised...

This is where I see Meredith jumping ahead of Robinson and into my team. As you mentioned, based purely on individual talent it would appear to be a no brainier and Robinson would be an obvious choice, but I simply cannot put any faith in Bortles finding Robinson downfield for a gain of ANYTHING!

And I think you're right - Meredith is undoubtedly talented and I believe he could have a strong year if he gets the luck of the plays and has enough of a 'team' around him. 

I think Meredith is easily as viable.  A lot has to go right with Bortles and JAX for A.Rob to get back to something he did once.

It's alarming A.Rob saw 151 passes last year (same in 2015) but did 500 yards less damage with those targets (and TD's) .. but at least the volume has been there and opportunity definitely helps especially on a per game basis.  A.Rob's value is probably a little bloated.