[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon hoping for September reinstatement

michaelredd9

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/361318/gordon-aiming-for-september-reinstatement?ls=roto:CLE:topheadlines

According to Bleacher Report's Jason Cole, suspended Browns WR Josh Gordon went to rehab two months ago.

Gordon's last reinstatement bid was denied but he's hoping his stint in rehab will win over Roger Goodell. Per Cole, Gordon is hoping to be reinstated by late September. Fantasy owners obviously can't count on that, but it does make Gordon an interesting stash at the end of drafts. The once-dominant 26-year-old hasn't played an NFL down since 2014.
Aug 25 - 4:45 PM

He must have a ton of rust after being out of the game for 2.5 years.  Even if he does rebound, it'll probably take until November or December for him to be in football shape.  I'm not wasting a roster spot for 2 or 3 months on that hope.  It would be a more difficult decision in dynasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Some details from a report by Cleveland Browns beat writer (take it with a grain of salt), former Olympic GOld medalist Tim Montgomery (linked article covers his past) has been working with Josh and is convinced he'll be reinstated because the NFL will see a truly rehabilitated man. Odd the story which includes that also has this "Gordon checked himself back into rehab on June 21 in the hopes that a 90-day stint would be enough to convince the NFL to let him back in the league."  Well is he really getting rehabbed, or just doing it hoping the league reinstates him?

Gordon hopes to return soon

Hmm, another nugget from the article

"Josh feels like he's been let down by the people closest to him,'' said Montgomery. "Where Josh comes from, Josh Gordon is considered like a cigarette." 

Anybody else grow up with that?  I've know many regular smokers and most don't consider it like a cigarette considering its illegal in many places and you can go to jail for simple possession.

Edited by stevegrab

3 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

How good is he going to be having not played for 3 years and how long till he messes up again?

This is the fourth time he's gone through rehab by my count and he misses drug tests because he doesn't answer his phone. 

He is only 26....

15 minutes ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Age doesn't have anything to do with it for me. Its the extended time away from playing regularly and the fact he'd have been reinstated years ago if he could get out of his own way.

I agree with you about "getting out of his own way"....but, the talent that this kid had is not going to disappear by just being away from the game for a while...this guys skills were tops in the league. It may take him a few weeks to get himself into game shape, but after that I would expect a tier 1 or 2 wide receiver.....unless he failed another drug test in that few weeks!!! Lol

I think roster size is the determining factor whether he is worth stashing.  I've rostered him on all of my teams with 20 man rosters.  I might roster him on an 18 man roster.  I probably wouldn't roster him on a 16 man roster.  There is no way in hell he can be rostered on a 14 man roster.  For what it's worth, he claims to be in the best shape of his life.  He has been training with Tim Montgomery.  Tim Montgomery was one of athletes involved in the BALCO scandal.  So maybe Gordon is all roided out.  In 2006, Montgomery was convicted of Money Laundering and sentenced to 46 months in prison.  In 2008 Montgomery was convicted of dealing heroin and sentenced to 5 years in prison.  Montgomery has been out of prison since 2012.

Edited by michaelredd9

46 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

In 2006, Montgomery was convicted of Money Laundering and sentenced to 46 months in prison.  In 2008 Montgomery was convicted of dealing heroin and sentenced to 5 years in prison.  Montgomery has been out of prison since 2012.

This doesn't seem like the type of guy Gordon should be hanging out with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Age doesn't have anything to do with it for me. Its the extended time away from playing regularly and the fact he'd have been reinstated years ago if he could get out of his own way.

Exactly as a fan of this team I've watched him toss away one chance after another with some stupid thing which shows he simply doesn't care. The whole drinking thing the one year, he could not be bothered to understand when the NFL season starts and ends, so he thought the day after his last game he could drink, and posted pictures on social media showing him doing it on a charter flight to Vegas.  NFL had him tested immediately. Then you the part with him missing tests, because he disappeared for weeks without his phone and no way for people to contact him.

All the fake attempts at rehab to convince the NFL he's clean/reformed, and hanging out with JF at one time while he was supended.

Dope Man go back and look at Gordon's last return and then tell us how you expect him to produce as a tier 1 WR, he was out 10 games and came back out of shape and totally unprepared, didn't know the play book etc. After a few years sitting around smoking pot he's suddenly going to get it?  Not buying, hope the Browns don't expect anything if he returns.

• Like 1