[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edelman.....that didn't look good

drafter

So how do we feel about Malcom Mitchel, Amendola, and Hogan?  Dwayne Allen? I'm thinking without Edelman the NE receiver corp, besides Branin Cooks, will become like their backfield: hard to predict or rely on a single player. If you take any of the NE wrs, besides Cooks, it will be a lot more hair pulling than consitency.

I think that Amendola is roster worthy if Edelman is done for the year.  The other Patriots receivers aren't ideally suited to play slot receiver.  Amendola had 32 catches in the 5 1/2 games he played after Edelman was hurt in 2015.  He is now in his 5th year playing with Brady.  He won't be a touchdown machine but he could easily get 80 catches.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roughrider401 said:

Chris hogan looked great. He's my pick

My biggest concern about Hogan is that he had the opportunity last year and did little with it.  He played 74% of snaps and only managed 38 receptions.  Though maybe they'll have better chemistry since it's Hogan's second year with Brady.  And Hogan did shine in the playoffs last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roughrider401 said:

Keep in mind though he only had 58 targets. 38 for 58 with 600 plus yards and 4 TDs isn't bad. Give him 100 plus targets and it's a different ball game.

His lack of targets is concerning since he played 74% of snaps.  My guess is that Hogan isn't good at getting separation.

• Like 1

The following stats aren't a good sign, though the Patriots are deeper and better able to deal with the loss of Edelman this year than in 2015.(Stats courtesy of the Boston Globe)

■ Brady in 2015, nine games with Edelman: 338.1 yards per game, 67.8 completion percentage, 24 touchdowns, three interceptions, 33.7 points per game, 9-0 record.

■ Brady in 2015, seven games without Edelman: 246.7 yards per game, 59.4 completion percentage, 12 touchdowns, four interceptions, 23.1 points per game, 3-4 record.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

he could easily get 80 catches.

I'm going to amend what I said here.  Amendola is probably far too injury-prone to get 80 catches.  And the Patriots will likely use more two tight end sets with Edelman gone.  Hogan and Cooks could even see some snaps at slot receiver.  But Amendola is a player that Brady can trust.  He will play mistake-free football.  Quarterbacks such as Brady love a receiver they can trust.  When Amendola is healthy, I can see him playing 60% of snaps.  When healthy, I think he can average 5 receptions a game which would translate to 80 catches if he managed to stay healthy for the whole year.  I think he is worth drafting in the 16th round and waiting to see what his role is in week 1.  If he plays 60% or more of snaps, he is worth keeping.  If he plays 30% of snaps, you cut him and play the waiver wire game.

In 2015, Amendola was a direct replacement for Edelman.  In the game Edelman got hurt, Amendola had 10 receptions, 7 of which came after Edelman went down.  In the next week, he was targeted 12 times and had 9 receptions.  Amendola missed the next week with a sprained knee.  He came back slightly gimpy and was targeted 13 times and had 7 receptions.  The next week he was targeted 8 times and had 6 receptions.  The last 2 weeks of the season he only played 18% and 38% of snaps because of his lingering knee injury.  In the first 4 games after and including the game that Edelman was hurt, Amendola was targeted 44 times and had 32 receptions.  That is an amazing 4 game stretch.  If it hadn't been for his sprained knee, his stats might have even been better.

Edited by michaelredd9

Edelman is playing a role on this offense with underneath routes/ 3rd down conversion.  That role used to be played by Danny Woodhead, and before that is was Wes Welker.  Someone between Chris Hogan, Rex Burhead, James White, Danny Amenda, and possibly Austin Carr will fill that portion of what Edelman does.  The middle routes will go to Hogan, Gronk, Allen, Mitchell and Cooks.

last time Edelman went down the offense did not have this level of talented depth.  It's a blow, but I think the team will overcome it.

Brady has made both Welker and Edelman look like great WRs, Welker wsa undrafted and least played WR, Edelmand was a QB in college.and was a 7th round pick. Neither are elite talents that cannot be replaced. Somebody else (Amendola maybe) will be taking on that role this year.

I suppose it could be Caveman Nick :)

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Brady has made both Welker and Edelman look like great WRs, Welker wsa undrafted and least played WR, Edelmand was a QB in college.and was a 7th round pick. Neither are elite talents that cannot be replaced. Somebody else (Amendola maybe) will be taking on that role this year.

I suppose it could be Caveman Nick :)

I disagree with Welker.  He was playing very well with a bad Miami team before the Pats got him.  He looked pretty damned talented to me.  Sure Brady makes everyone around him better, but that doesn't mean everyone who finds success around him isn't talented. 

6 minutes ago, DanTheMan_5 said:

I disagree with Welker.  He was playing very well with a bad Miami team before the Pats got him.  He looked pretty damned talented to me.  Sure Brady makes everyone around him better, but that doesn't mean everyone who finds success around him isn't talented.

Where did I say those guys or other Pats receivers are not talened? I said they are not elite talents, Brady and the Pats genius makes them much better than elsewhere. They don't need an elite talent to relpace them, they just need a decent WR that fits their mold.

Look at Welker's stats with MIA, 14 games in 2004, no receiving stats (not sure what was going on that year, he started with SD), 05 16 games 29 rec 434 yards 0TD, 06 was a better year, 67rec, 687yards 1 TD.

His average in 6 years as a Pat 112rec, 1243 yards, 6TD, with 16 games played in 4 of 6 years and 5 Pro Bowls.  Those are vastly different numbers.

5 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Welker's production basically doubled moving from Mia to NE.

Yep I took so long to post you beat me to it.

That's fair.  Welker just passed the eye test for me.

I'd have to go back and watch tape (which I am not inclined to do), but I seem to remember him having unbelievable speed and ability to make defenders miss.

I don't deny that Brady makes everyone around him better.  I still think Welker was a pretty elite WR.

Maybe I am wrong.

Worker had a skill set that fit well with some things in the Pats system, and his talents were maximized.  Woodhead and Edelman as well.  The team is using a player in a way that helps the player succeed.  Anyone with talent would shine in those circumstances, and so I don't think the above statement is a knock on the talent of the players mentioned.

Welker had 67 catches with the Dolphins in his second year as a receiver.  He only started 2 games that year.  He had Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper, and Cleo Lemon throwing to him.  That is really good production for a 3rd receiver on a team with horrible quarterbacking.  That is why Belichick was willing to trade a second round and seventh round pick for him.

• Like 1