[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smallwood

GoldenEagle81

I've been rostering him.  Reports about him from camp have been good.  In fact, OC Frank Reich said "You know, I think Wendell is a true three-down back.  He is a very versatile back who knows protections very well, who runs good routes, who catches the ball well. And then I think he's a slashing runner on first and second down, so we like that combination."  Maybe it's just coachspeak, maybe it's not.  Sproles is 34 years old, though he has been very durable during his career possibly because he doesn't take many big hits due to his elusiveness.  But Sproles has never had 100 carries in his career so there are 300 carries up for grabs even if Sproles stays healthy.  Blount is 30 years old and hasn't looked good.  Pro Football Focus ranks the Eagles' offensive line as the best in the NFL.  There is definitely the possibility that Smallwood could be a fantasy stud.  Or he might flop.  What his role is in week 1 will determine whether I keep him or drop him.  I'm hoping he gets 10 or more touches.  With so little competition at running back and the Eagles offensive line being so good, I think taking the chance on him is a no-brainer.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 2

Michael nailed it for the most part.  The Eagles are a top o-line, Wentz is an emerging quarterback, and this team only got better in the offseason.  I don't think Sproles will carry the torch though.  It's either Blount or Smallwood for early down work, and even if Blount starts off the season as lead back, he'll eventually lose it to Smallwood once he starts sucking.  Sproles will retain his role and occasionally take some early down work.  Pumphrey will be sprinkled in there a little and might return punts at his own peril.  

one red flag is he is still returning kicks. Sproles is still the punt returner. I think Blount will be given an honest shot and Smallwood will get looks too....

Beware! This could be an ugly RBBC especially with Blount not looking too good, but Pederson keeps running him with sweeps instead of up the gut. I think Smallwood and Clement may be the longshots to any fantasy relevance as far as reliability goes.....They will likely try to preserve Sproles imo..

Blount got a receiving TD, but it's likely the only one he'll get all year.  More to the point, he got 14 carries vs Smallwood's 4.  Nobody on this team is likely to put up many FF pts, but Blount IMO appears the best bet with modest carries and the occasional (rushing) TD.

The silver lining is he can be dropped and his roster spot used on the waiver wire.  Excellent pickups can be made in the first week waiver wire.  If you draft a wide receiver in round 14, you don't know what you have until mid-season, if even then.  I might keep Smallwood on a team or two where I am weak at running back.  The Eagles backfield could be a fluid situation this year.

Edited by michaelredd9

Pumphrey was put on IR this week which means if geriatric Sproles were to get hurt that Smallwood would probably take over his role since Blount and Clement are power runner types.  And now Blount's role could be reduced.  It might be a good time to pick up Smallwood.  And maybe even Clement in deep/dynasty leagues.

Report: Blount's role could be reduced Sunday

http://www.rotoworld.com/headline

NFL insider Adam Caplan reports LeGarrette Blount could see a reduced role Sunday in Kansas City.

Per Caplan, the Eagles believed Blount was "too tentative" on Week 1 runs, and they may incorporate more of Wendell Smallwood and Corey Clement against the Chiefs. Darren Sproles remains the only fantasy-viable back in Philadelphia.
Sep 17 - 11:13 AM

• Thanks 1