[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shane Vereen

Gourdeau

Was Week 1 a fluke ? 9 of 10 targets for 54 yards.. i can't remember which "expert" it was but i did hear that at camp Vereen was used heavily in the passing game. In 2015 he set career highs in targets and catches, was on track to beat that last year but only managed 5 games. My eyes tell me the Oline sucks hard, they can't run the ball and that Eli will face pressure all year and need to dump off a ton. My gut tells me Vereen will benefit heavily from this. 

Any thoughts on this amateur analysis 

• Like 1

He's not going to catch 9 balls every week, but I could see 7-10 targets.  If healthy, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to think that he could catch 80+ passes (5-6 per week).  Eli is going to need somebody to dump off to quickly.  

The arguments against that, I suppose, would be a couple of things.  Number one, OBJ didn't play.  He'll eat up some of those targets, if there's time.  Secondly, we already saw Engram get a few looks in his first game.  His involvement (and how much Eli looks to him) will only grow as the season progresses, in my opinion.   Lastly, there is the question of Vereen vs Perkins on third down.  If the 3rd down role is securely in Vereen's hands, that's one thing.  But, if Perkins takes some of those snaps from time to time, it will be tough for Vereen to keep up last week's pace.

Personally, I think Vereen is an intriguing hold in PPR leagues, waiting to see if he can stay healthy as much as anything else.  If he does, I think he's a serviceable RB3/flex play, particularly in leagues larger than 12 teams.  

41 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

while you're correct, how do you explain the fact that he put up better numbers than the other TWO NYG RBs combined?

The pass catching is always gona be there no denying that, running part could just be that the d wasnt expecting a run as oppose to darkwa or perkins, not persuading either way, ny o-line is trash and not much gona change

2 hours ago, LbNiners said:

The pass catching is always gona be there no denying that, running part could just be that the d wasnt expecting a run as oppose to darkwa or perkins, not persuading either way, ny o-line is trash and not much gona change

That's where I see his value come into play though, Eli faces so much pressure, he needs that quick dump off.. Personally I don't care when or how the points come in, if he grabs 10 pts in the last minute of Garbage time great. 

I cannot understand why Giants don't give Darkwa more carries, he seems to do far better than Perkins when he gets some, but maybe that's just the usual "backup RB in diff situations" thing we've seen before. In 2015/16 combined he had 66 carries with 4.0 per carry.  In 2015 he has 6 for 31, while Perkins has over twice as many carries for few yards (14 for 26).

I know the Giants OL is bad, no protection or funning lanes, and with no protection and banged up receiving corp their offense scares nobody. Maybe McAdoo considering using an OC to call plays helps.

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

so if there's no change, then vereen will be the RB to own in FF going forward?

I think you'd be better off avoiding this backfield altogether.  I don't think anyone is going to emerge, and they'll just take up a spot on your bench with you no never being comfortable enough to start them.  Better off taking a flier elsewhere, imo.

• Like 2