[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cowboys are a poorly coached gaffe machine

CowboysDiehard

This thread greatly amuses me, but only b/c my team sucks worse than yours...trust me, since 1990 I've adopted the same "ownership sucks, coaching staff sucks, front office sucks" reverse psychology/mentality that is displayed here, so let me tell you it doesn't work - yeah, there's flashes here or there, to keep you coming back year after year, but at the end of the day.............they're STILL gonna SUCK!!!  LMAO

25 minutes ago, the outlaw said:

This thread greatly amuses me, but only b/c my team sucks worse than yours...trust me, since 1990 I've adopted the same "ownership sucks, coaching staff sucks, front office sucks" reverse psychology/mentality that is displayed here, so let me tell you it doesn't work - yeah, there's flashes here or there, to keep you coming back year after year, but at the end of the day.............they're STILL gonna SUCK!!!  LMAO

Cheers! :brew:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the outlaw said:

Really and you think your team sucks, ha-ha too funny. Has it been 50+ years since your team won a title? Have you had an average record of 5-11 for nearly the past 20 years? Just a few winning seasons, one playoff birth, 100 QBs starting and 50 coaches/GMs?

As a Packers fan, I kind of miss the days of us being bad.  When your team is bad, every game matters and every win feels special.  When the Packers win now, it barely registers.  But when we lose, it feels like a big letdown.  I still get excited when the playoffs arrive but the regular season is a bit anticlimactic.

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

As a Packers fan, I kind of miss the days of us being bad.  When your team is bad, every game matters and every win feels special.  When the Packers win now, it barely registers.  But when we lose, it feels like a big letdown.  I still get excited when the playoffs arrive but the regular season is a bit anticlimactic.

You gotta think back reeeeeeeeal far :D Not many franchises have been able to easily transition between QB's like Favre and Rodgers.  

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

The year we were 0-8 and beat washington. I still remember thinking mathematically were still alive for the playoffs. And then the next year and it showed up. We went 7 and 9 while beating Washington on Thanksgiving and I knew we were on the rise. And now it's like every year nothing matters until January. And they just do not deliver anymore. So I know exactly what you're saying. All of that builds on all the games my dad took me to in the 70s including two Super Bowls. And now it's just so frustrating. I'm always a Cowboys fan but the last two decades have been totally heartbreaking.

5 minutes ago, kdko said:

Cowboys and Packers fans talking about the days of being bad...Remind me again who has the most Lombardi's/Championships :lol::lol:

Well the Cowboys haven't won anything since the mid-nineties so yeah I'd say they've been bad for a while.

5 minutes ago, kdko said:

True...just remember the Loaf's and Stevegrabs of the forum! :whack:

This isn't a misery dick measuring contest. I'm just venting my own frustration. I get it the Lions and the Browns suck way harder then the Packers and Cowboys ever thought they could. Yes I know.

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Really and you think your team sucks, ha-ha too funny. Has it been 50+ years since your team won a title? Have you had an average record of 5-11 for nearly the past 20 years? Just a few winning seasons, one playoff birth, 100 QBs starting and 50 coaches/GMs?

Well, you win!  So, I say bring back Jim Brown!

But for me, almost 30 years (since the Redskins were last "relevant") sure does FEEL like 50+...

Have the Browns ever hired a QB coach (Jim Zorn), who didn't even have any experience as an OC, then before the season, promote him to HC because nobody else wanted to work for them???  LMAO

Edited by the outlaw

12 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

This isn't a misery dick measuring contest. I'm just venting my own frustration. I get it the Lions and the Browns suck way harder then the Packers and Cowboys ever thought they could. Yes I know.

Dammit, I thought that's exactly what this is...my bad!  LOL

4 hours ago, the outlaw said:

Well, you win!  So, I say bring back Jim Brown!

But for me, almost 30 years (since the Redskins were last "relevant") sure does FEEL like 50+...

Have the Browns ever hired a QB coach (Jim Zorn), who didn't even have any experience as an OC, then before the season, promote him to HC because nobody else wanted to work for them???  LMAO

Not that I recall that was pretty hilarious (and mind boggling when it happened, and something Browns fans can relate to) But they did hire plenty of guys to be HC/GM who had zero experience doing that job, also hired lots of 10th choice guys after every other candidiate took a better offer or declined. Hue Jackson was the first one I recall since return in 99 that other teams were interested in hiring to do that job. We also had the scenario where they hired Kyle Shanahan as OC, then forced him out after 1 year because of some stupid disagreement, he goes to ATL they reach the SB and now he's a HC.

I don't think the Browns have been relevant since they returned, and amazingly those first 4 years were the best with some steady improvement and a winning season with a playoff birth. Since then 1 winning season, and lots of 3-5 win season, even a brush with 0-16.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

they did hire plenty of guys to be HC/GM who had zero experience doing that job, also hired lots of 10th choice guys after every other candidiate took a better offer or declined.

I've never understood why teams don't make a more concerted effort to hire better coaches and general managers.  The top paid coaches get $7 or $8 million per year.  General managers get paid less than coaches.  Kenny Britt just got a 4 year/$32 million contract.  Isn't having a top flight coach or general manager worth more than having Kenny Britt (even assuming he was playing well)?  I would pay $15 or $20 million per year if that is what it took to get one of the best.  I would pay Bill Belichick $50 million per year without hesitation.  And it wouldn't even affect the salary cap.  There must be some collusion among the owners at work.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Red blew it again.  Terribly unfortunate he's married to the owner's daughter.  We're in for another 20 years of futility.  Still a fan, but this is really pissing me off.

This game had nothing to do with coaching. This was about tackling and getting off the field on 3rd down. They couldn't stop the run and Sean Lee was SORELY missed. The Defense just wasn't organized at all and the middle of the field was soft. Smith is good but he's not Lee and without Lee out there he was exposed. Smith just doesn't have the experience to be out there on his own trying to hold down the middle. He is good but inexperienced. The secondary just started to leak and break down in the 2nd half. 

Have to give the Rams credit though they played mistake free football which was the difference in the game. Switzer's fumble was the game changer. I knew he was going to make a rookie move at some point playing too aggressive. Needed to fair catch the ball and let our offense go to work. Giving up a TD there changed the game and I say it cost us the game.

Without the turnovers we win the game. Perhaps pulling away but I tip my hat to the Rams for a great game of ball control. Gurley was a beast. You're not going to win very often giving up 200+ all purpose yards to any back.

No panic, just need to get healthy,beat GB and get into the bye. Go boys!

8 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

This game had nothing to do with coaching. This was about tackling and getting off the field on 3rd down. They couldn't stop the run and Sean Lee was SORELY missed. The Defense just wasn't organized at all and the middle of the field was soft. Smith is good but he's not Lee and without Lee out there he was exposed. Smith just doesn't have the experience to be out there on his own trying to hold down the middle. He is good but inexperienced. The secondary just started to leak and break down in the 2nd half. 

Have to give the Rams credit though they played mistake free football which was the difference in the game. Switzer's fumble was the game changer. I knew he was going to make a rookie move at some point playing too aggressive. Needed to fair catch the ball and let our offense go to work. Giving up a TD there changed the game and I say it cost us the game.

Without the turnovers we win the game. Perhaps pulling away but I tip my hat to the Rams for a great game of ball control. Gurley was a beast. You're not going to win very often giving up 200+ all purpose yards to any back.

No panic, just need to get healthy,beat GB and get into the bye. Go boys!

Read what you wrote.  The Rams played MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL.  Coaching has EVERYTHING to do with MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL.  Red blew it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Read what you wrote.  The Rams played MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL.  Coaching has EVERYTHING to do with MISTAKE FREE FOOTBALL.  Red blew it.

Come on dude. Switzer fumbles and Dak gets picked on a deflection at the line. That's not coaching that's players making a bad decision (Switzer should have fair caught the ball) and Dak's pick was unlucky. Goff could have been picked twice just as easily. Not to mention Crawford on his hands and knees with the ball  right under him and just didn't look down. It was a good game, winnable by both teams and the cowboys lost because they didn't make the plays the Rams did. I have no problem with the coaching what so ever. Garrett is doing a fine Job. 

We could have won had lee been playing. I believe he was worth 7 points saved.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Come on dude. Switzer fumbles and Dak gets picked on a deflection at the line. That's not coaching that's players making a bad decision (Switzer should have fair caught the ball) and Dak's pick was unlucky. Goff could have been picked twice just as easily. Not to mention Crawford on his hands and knees with the ball  right under him and just didn't look down. It was a good game, winnable by both teams and the cowboys lost because they didn't make the plays the Rams did. I have no problem with the coaching what so ever. Garrett is doing a fine Job. 

We could have won had lee been playing. I believe he was worth 7 points saved.

Ok. You're right. He's the best coach EVAH.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Well that's a bit extreme. What coaching mistakes are you seeing that are so bad?

In seven years of running the ship, he has one playoff win.  That win was the result of a dubious PI non-call against the Lions.  I don't look at this at the micro level, because he's not a micromanager.  Internally, it's clear that the team lacks any real discipline.  I look at the big picture, and there is nothing there to hang your hat on.  Seven years, one playoff win with an asterisk.  Did he make all the right calls during the game?  Maybe.  Does the team he presides over execute when it counts?  Sometimes.  Do they get the job done in the postseason?  Nope.