[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happened to the Min D??

1fastdoc

In one of our leagues the Defense numbers are somewhat inflated.  A shut out is 20 pts, 0-7 allowed is 10 pts, etc.  

Their D often beat most WR2's and RB2's.  So of course this year I jumped on them.

NINE points total over the last 2 weeks.  Meanwhile other defenses are putting up 15 to 30+ points.  WTF?   

Baltimore put up 44 points and 25 points!!! 

I don't know much about that team in general.  Did something drastically change?  

They face TB and Detroit in the next 2 weeks.  I'm thinking I need to dump them.

I guess I could pick up Baltimore, who faces Jax next week.

Any insight would be appreciated

Good defenses have down weeks and bad defenses have up weeks.  As long as you have 18 or more roster spots, I would consider rostering two defenses since your defensive scoring is so high.  Hold on to Minnesota and pick up and play Baltimore this week.  Minnesota does have Chicago week 5 which is a peach.  If you have 16 roster spots or less, holding two defenses is far more difficult.  

Last year, the MIN defense started the year with a huge game (@TEN?), where they had two defensive touchdowns.  After that, they had some really good games, but when the offense truly started to struggle (after the 5-0 start), their defense did as well.   There was a MNF game against the Bears that particularly comes to mind.... The offense couldn't keep the defense off of the field, and the defense couldn't stop the Bears, either.  But, it all stemmed from the ineptitude on offense.  A few other thoughts.....

- It's early.  Two weeks don't tell us much.  I would definitely not drop them, but they're probably not an every-week start, either.  

- There is a difference between good defenses and good fantasy defenses.  You can be a good defense without an offense.  It's more difficult to be a high-scpromg fantasy defense when your offense can't move the ball (like we saw yesterday with Case and company).

- They actually held the PIT offense pretty much in check yesterday.  Brown and Bell had below average games, and neither one scored.  But, the MIN offense couldn't move the ball, get first downs, etc.  And, penalties absolutely killed them.  Offsides on the D-Line on 4th and 1 led to a PIT TD (would have been a punt).  Another long pass interference call led to a PIT TD.  Offensive plays negated by penalties, etc.  It was a rough day all around, but it was mostly the offense that killed them.

- They're typically better at home, with the crowd behind them.

I would expect better results going forward.  Now would be the worst time to cut bait, as four of their next five games are at home.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

The defense was close to making a few picks. They are capable of having good sack games as well. I like a team that can do that because that can lead to scoop and scores too. I have them too. You would regret dumping them, imo. Zimmer is one of the best defensive coaches in the game. He is still calling the plays and that is a good thing.

Edited by MikesVikes

Thanks for the input. That really helps. 

I have a stout RB crew and decent WR. I can drop Decker for Bal. I will also likely drop another WR to get Wentz or Siemian and see if I can salvage my 0-2 season.