[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Collins

michaelredd9

Collins had another nice week.  He now has 124 yards on 16 carries.  He is living up to his nickname of Beast Mode Jr.  I wonder why Seattle dropped him?  He does have 3 fumbles in 47 career carries which is horrible.  Maybe he also fumbled a lot in Seattle's practices and that was enough for them to drop him.  I think the Ravens will tolerate his fumbles because they are so in need of some juice on offense.  Getting a run game going would help their offense immeasurably.  Limiting the amount that the Ravens need to pass would also do a lot toward keeping Flacco healthy.  With West and Allen being such middling talents, is there any way that Collins doesn't become the Ravens main ball carrier?

I think he will get a serious shot at it. The dude has the talent and size to be a 3 down back, but his fumbling issues will keep him on a short leash. Last year with Seattle he was also fumbling in the preseason. I think it will be a RBBC with him getting early down and short yardage work. Let's not forget that Flacco likes to throw to the opposition also. The Ravens will be a turnover machine.

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Collins had another nice week.  He now has 124 yards on 16 carries.  He is living up to his nickname of Beast Mode Jr.  I wonder why Seattle dropped him?  He does have 3 fumbles in 47 career carries which is horrible.  Maybe he also fumbled a lot in Seattle's practices and that was enough for them to drop him.  I think the Ravens will tolerate his fumbles because they are so in need of some juice on offense.  Getting a run game going would help their offense immeasurably.  Limiting the amount that the Ravens need to pass would also do a lot toward keeping Flacco healthy.  With West and Allen being such middling talents, is there any way that Collins doesn't become the Ravens main ball carrier?

To be fair, he came in during garbage time when Baltimore was down by almost 40.  West had also fumbled on the earlier drive and was nursing an injury, so they sat him.  He looks like he has some shake and bake, but i'm going to wait and see if he gets some meaningful carries in a competitive game.  Allen is getting the most touches and I don't think Collins will usurp West for any early down touches unless his injury gets worse.  He was the 5th RB on Seattle's depth chart with a bunch of middling talents too.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kdko said:

To be fair, he came in during garbage time when Baltimore was down by almost 40.  West had also fumbled on the earlier drive and was nursing an injury, so they sat him.  He looks like he has some shake and bake, but i'm going to wait and see if he gets some meaningful carries in a competitive game.

It's true that his stats from Sunday aren't very meaningful because it was garbage time with a defense playing prevent.  But he does pass the eye test.  And West and Allen have been bad for 2-3 years.  The Ravens are in need of a spark and Collins runs with energy.  It is a gamble.  But as long you have an 18 or 20 man roster, a roster spot is a small entry fee in to a starting running back lottery.   I buy about 10 or 15 of these lottery tickets per league per year and hope that 2 or 3 pay off.  This is the week to pick him up (or last week was).  If you wait for him to assume the starting role before you bite, he'll likely already be on someone else's roster or at a minimum you'll have to break the bank to get him.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

It's true that his stats from Sunday aren't very meaningful because it was garbage time with a defense playing prevent.  But he does pass the eye test.  And West and Allen have been bad for 2-3 years.  The Ravens are in need of a spark and Collins runs with energy.  It is a gamble.  But as long you have an 18 or 20 man roster, a roster spot is a small entry fee in to a starting running back lottery.   I buy about 10 or 15 of these lottery tickets per league per year and hope that 2 or 3 pay off.  This is the week to pick him up (or last week was).  If you wait for him to assume the starting role before you bite, he'll likely already be on someone else's roster or at a minimum you'll have to break the bank to get him.

I wish I had more bench spots, but I already have both Allen/West already, haha.  Agreed that Collins has a quickness that the other 2 don't possess.  This situation gives me such a headache all the way around, and coincidentally it reminds of the Seahawks' backfield.  Another lottery ticket, and not to derail the thread, is Mike Williams.  I think he's going to be given the go ahead soon and is a nice potential lottery ticket, and this might be one of the last weeks to get a stab at him.

3 minutes ago, kdko said:

I wish I had more bench spots, but I already have both Allen/West already, haha.  Agreed that Collins has a quickness that the other 2 don't possess.  This situation gives me such a headache all the way around, and coincidentally it reminds of the Seahawks' backfield.  Another lottery ticket, and not to derail the thread, is Mike Williams.  I think he's going to be given the go ahead soon and is a nice potential lottery ticket, and this might be one of the last weeks to get a stab at him.

I drafted Mike Williams then had to cut him...thanks for the reminder.  This week, I can probably drop Geronimo Allison to take a shot at this Collins guy.

26 minutes ago, Tripleshot said:

Regardless of the speed that Allen/West may lack, he's still only getting the ball in garbage time. Methinks he's going to remain third on the depth chart behind West and Allen and will require one of them getting hurt to move up and get more touches.

From another site...

Alex Collins led the Ravens in rushing attempts (eight) and yards (82) during their 44-7 loss to the Jaguars in London in Week 3.

Fantasy Impact

Many will write off Collins' performance since he compiled the majority of his yardage with the game out of hand in the fourth quarter, however, he did receive the first two carries by a Ravens' RB in the game as well. With his strong late production, he now has 124 yards on just 16 carries over the last two weeks. A strong performance like that should continue to keep Collins in the mix for carries in the crowed Ravens' backfield. He is not worth starting in fantasy leagues but he could be worth a speculative add if you have an open roster spot.

Alex Collins' role expected to grow vs. PIT

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/364594/alex-collins-role-expected-to-grow-vs-pit?ls=roto:BAL:topheadlines

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Alex Collins is expected to see a "significant increase" in carries Sunday versus Pittsburgh.

The Baltimore Sun also hinted at this earlier, although Terrance West was working with the first-team offense during warmups. Collins has been excellent in terms of yards per carry to this point, but almost all of his production has come in garbage time. Still, Collins is worth grabbing in all fantasy leagues and makes West unusable. Buck Allen remains locked in as the passing-down back.
Oct 1 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, he looks talented on the field, but that talent won't keep your ass from getting cut if you're giving the ball away that much e.g: Matt Jones.  I have a feeling that's why Seattle cut line with him.  Woodhead is also gonna return later this year, so there's that in this already crowded backfield. 

Side note - Gallman is a good dart throw right now, and could take over as the year goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

Lynn Swann always gave a lot of credit to ballet for his gracefulness.  I guess I can believe that Irish dancing would improve foot speed.  And Collins does have quick feet.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/39894/alex-collins-uses-irish-dancing-to-become-nfls-most-elusive-runner

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

A lot of positives came from last night.  Collins played 49% of snaps.  He hadn't played more than 30% of snaps before last night.  He didn't fumble for a fourth straight game.  He had a red zone carry and two receptions.  He had 0 red zone carries and 0 receptions before last night.  It is mighty difficult for a running back to have fantasy value with no red zone carries and no receptions.  Buck Two Fifty Allen played 48% of snaps and once again looked pedestrian.  He even fumbled.  It is perplexing why Allen still gets as much work as he does.  I am still confused why they prefer Allen in the red zone.  I think Collins's explosiveness would do well at the goal line.  He has an elusiveness in crowded conditions.  It'll be interesting what happens when Woodhead comes back.  My guess is that Woodhead will take over Allen's share of the pie and not affect Collins much.

2 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I think Collins's explosiveness would do well at the goal line.  He has an elusiveness in crowded conditions.  It'll be interesting what happens when Woodhead comes back.  My guess is that Woodhead will take over Allen's share of the pie and not affect Collins much.

On the contrary, I think Woodhead will take carries from Collins, and take some of the goal line work, as well as eat the passing downs that Buck had.

1 hour ago, kdko said:

On the contrary, I think Woodhead will take carries from Collins, and take some of the goal line work, as well as eat the passing downs that Buck had.

Collins has been nothing short of amazing.  He has been the only bright spot on a bad offense.  Allen has been bad while running behind the same offensive line.  Why would the Ravens give Collins's touches to Woodhead instead of Allen's touches?  I like Woodhead.  But I'm also realistic.  He is 32 years old and will be coming back from a long layoff.  In the first game of the season, West and Allen received the 1st down carries to start the game.  Woodhead's 4 touches all came on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.  It seems they had him pegged as the passing down back.  He'll probably re-assume the passing down work when he comes back.  That will come at the expense of Allen, not Collins.

28 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Collins has been nothing short of amazing.  He has been the only bright spot on a bad offense.  Allen has been bad while running behind the same offensive line.  Why would the Ravens give Collins's touches to Woodhead instead of Allen's touches?  I like Woodhead.  But I'm also realistic.  He is 32 years old and will be coming back from a long layoff.  In the first game of the season, West and Allen received the 1st down carries to start the game.  Woodhead's 4 touches all came on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.  It seems they had him pegged as the passing down back.  He'll probably re-assume the passing down work when he comes back.  That will come at the expense of Allen, not Collins.

Ah, cmon. That's sensationalization if i've ever seen it.  Collins has had one good game, and was a fumbling mess before that.  They still gave Buck Allen the redzone carries as well, so I don't know why there's such a vote of confidence for Collins despite him being so amazing.  Woodhead is a proven commodity, and was very successful within the redzone for the Patriots, and even moreso recently with the Chargers.  You have to remember that Woodhead was a HUGE part of their offensive plan going for this entire offseason, whereas Collins was a late waiver pickup.  Woodhead will resume his role, and it WILL be at the expensive of Collins, and Allen.

The most carries Woodhead has ever had in season is 106.  That works out to 6.6 carries per game.  He isn't suddenly going to become a workhorse at the age of 32.  Even with his small load, he has had significant injuries in 3 of the last 4 years.  If he comes back in week 11, he will have played in 19 of his team's previous 54 games.  It's not realistic to think he'll have a huge role or that he'll stay healthy.  The Ravens running backs have averaged 31.28 carries per game this year.  If Woodhead matches his career high in carries and manages to stay healthy, it leaves 24 or 25 carries per game for Collins and Allen to split.  If Collins continues to play like he has been playing, he should get the lion's share of those carries.

Edited by michaelredd9