[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The LA Chargers are Moot

McBoog

I have not been on these boards for a looooong time and stopped playing FF altogether a few years ago, deciding to actually be a part of my family's lives during the football season and enjoy my team and their games again, rather than all the games and individual players.

As a die hard Charger fan, well, you old timers remember, but the key word in die hard is "hard".  Yeah, it was hard to do, but the Spanos family did the almost impossible and killed almost all of any remaining NFL interest I had, and now with the protests at our anthem and the pre-game crap, if I see it, I turn the game off.  That is my right to not watch or not, but for another thread.

Anyways.  I was thinking of how horrible it must be for anyone to try and draft a Charger player for their FF team.  There is no such thing as home field advantage, the opposing teams are seating more fans than Charger fans for their "home games".  The city of LA did not want them in the first place, but, there they are.  Not surprisingly, they suck and have started 0-3.  The NFL, by allowing the Chargers to move, reduced TV ratings automatically (despite the other NFL crap going on and poor product on the field) by abandoning one of the top ten markets in the US.  There is no interest in LA to watch them on TV, unless it is the displaced fans of the visiting team.  At least sell outs are easier in the 10 gallon aquarium they are playing in.

It occurred to me, and it is true.  The Spanos family has basically made the Chargers moot.  They are just there to play the team that most people watching the game want to watch.  

I believe that the NFL should force the team to officially change its name to the Washington Generals.

• Like 2

I too, was a Charger fan, not because of childhood likes, but because I lived in SD for 30 years. I am a die hard Rams fan. But after Spanos literally tore the team out of SD, I wish nothing but the worst for that organization. As much as I want to root for Rivers and Gates and some of the other older Chargers, I also refuse to watch any Charger game. I can get into the specifics about the Spanos move but I've beat that dead horse so much there is no more carcass left. Having lived in SD during the Stadium debate and voted on numerous measures to fund a stadium, I'm pretty learned on the aspects. The casual fan who gets their info from the internet really doesn't understand the inner workings of what really went on. But, ya know, most people either don't care or they just continue to feed their knowledge from sources that stitch together info rather from sources and people that lived it. At any rate, whatever.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McBoog said:

But... Didn't any of you get my Washington Generals reference?:blink: 

Washington Generals

The Chargers ARE the new Generals. :nutkick:

I wouldn't put the Chargers in the company of the Generals. That would be an insult. The Generals are actually entertaining to watch while they lose. 

• Haha 1

This.....is amazing:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2017/09/28/faa-denies-dean-spanos-request-to-stop-banners-from-flying-before-chargers-games/

The jist:  People have paid for flyovers with banners that are slamming Spanos and the Chargers.  Spanos petitioned the FAA to stop the flyovers, who then told him that they can't stop them unless the stadium has a capacity of over 40,000 :clap::lol::lol::lol:

chargers.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

There are rumors and underground grumbling within the NFL involving forcing the Chargers to return to San Diego. Even if true, which the NFL has denied, I'm not to sure San Diego will welcome them back as long as Spanos is holding the reins. 

Garbage sports talk, no truth to those rumors would be beyond stupid to force them to move back.

On 9/29/2017 at 3:07 PM, tazinib1 said:

I wouldn't put the Chargers in the company of the Generals. That would be an insult. The Generals are actually entertaining to watch while they lose. 

Oops. Sorry. 

On 9/29/2017 at 9:02 PM, tazinib1 said:

There are rumors and underground grumbling within the NFL involving forcing the Chargers to return to San Diego. Even if true, which the NFL has denied, I'm not to sure San Diego will welcome them back as long as Spanos is holding the reins. 

Yup. Would have to sell team. They would be just as moot there as

in LA with Spanos stink anyway on the team. 

i am a Charger fan of 35+ years now.

I have no attachment to the city of San Diego as I live out east.

Only can say that with such a long history with the city and fans this should never have happened.

I didn't know how the move would affect my allegiance.  But in the end I cannot stop rooting for the Chargers as I am invested in the players on the team, from Rivers (especially) on down.

Its extremely sad that a tenured franchise is reduced to this.  The players and fans don't deserve it.  If not for the money they make I'd say it is hell what the players are forced to endure having 16 road games and playing in a soccer stadium. 

Still a fan...hoping the NFL comes to its senses and corrects this huge mistake. 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-chargers-eagles-1002-story.html

The fact that Stub Hub is now covering entire sections of seats with tarp advertisement because they can't sell tickets....well. :lol: Rivers doesn't deserve to end his career like this. I truly hope he is with another team in 2018. 

8 hours ago, rebdog said:

Only can say that with such a long history with the city and fans this should never have happened.

I didn't know how the move would affect my allegiance.  But in the end I cannot stop rooting for the Chargers as I am invested in the players on the team, from Rivers (especially) on down.

Its extremely sad that a tenured franchise is reduced to this.  The players and fans don't deserve it.  If not for the money they make I'd say it is hell what the players are forced to endure having 16 road games and playing in a soccer stadium.

Still a fan...hoping the NFL comes to its senses and corrects this huge mistake.

Correct the mistake how? Move them back to SD, to another market, what?  In a few years the new stadium will open, and if the Rams or Chargers can win, the fans will probably come out. If they suck the LA fans have no vested long term interest and will not support them, not even sure the Dodgers or Lakers are immune from lower attendance when they suck, and they are the two top franchises in the southland.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:20 PM, rajncajn said:

Good to see you around McBoog. :tup:

Thanx brah!  I am actually surprised at how many of you old timers are still around.  I needed a place to vent football frustration and knew The Huddle was the place to come to get slapped down and have little sympathy for my complaints.  :oops:

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 8:15 AM, rebdog said:

Nice post!

As a little kid, we rotated around through the year.  Winters in FL, Summers in PA and school in CT.  I was a big Dolphins and Steelers fan in the 60s and early 70s.  We moved to San Diego in 1973 and I finally had my "own" team..I rode that team through ups and downs, never being treated to the ultimate prize, but was loyal to a fault.

Maybe it is because you didn't live there that allows you to continue to be a fan. I on the other hand have been betrayed by a bunch of greedy bastages.  The Spanos family can all go enjoy a personal round of auto-eroticism with steel wool as far as I'm concerned.