[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Davante Adams

heehawks

He should have been tossed from the game, and should also have a multi-game suspension IMO.  He was wrapped up, completely defenseless, and the only part of his really showing was his head, which Trevathan took off.  :furious:

I pray the kid is alright!!!  

The way his helmet flexes and distorts is just sickening. Adams is really really lucky he walked away from that one. No reason to go spearing to a guys face. That was a really bad hit. Sometimes guys go in for the hit and due to the spit second it takes for the guy being hit to be in a slightly different place then you expect when you go in for the hit, makes for just bad luck. However, in this case, for what ever reason Trevathan deliberately led with the crown of his helmet to deliver a spear the face. No doubt about that one. He could have just as easy gone in head up and body tackled him to the ground as he was already being held by another guy. Suspension warranted IMO for a straight up head hunting spear.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

It wasn't long ago that hit would have been celebrated around here, and the resulting penalty and suspension eviscerated. Just what, 2, 3 years ago? there were discussions where people would gripe to holy hell about how "soft" the game had become and threaten to stop watching because of these penalties. 

59 minutes ago, flemingd said:

It wasn't long ago that hit would have been celebrated around here, and the resulting penalty and suspension eviscerated. Just what, 2, 3 years ago? there were discussions where people would gripe to holy hell about how "soft" the game had become and threaten to stop watching because of these penalties. 

Did you even see the hit? Some flags are unnecessary just good def where a guy makes a big hit as soon as the wr catches it but this, was quite malicious.

1 hour ago, flemingd said:

I am not sure that is 100% accurate flem. Not totally disagreeing, I just believe that this particular hit was eggregious for any time period. I for one agree that the game has become "softer" and the big crushing hits we all enjoy as a huge part of football has become few and far between and in particular they baby qbs way too much. That being said, spearing with the crown of the helmet to another player's helmet on a clearly defenseless receiver was bush league. Now if Adams had not had players draped all over him and wasn't almost down, and Trevathan blew his azz up, it would be a much different story. My thoughts on that particular type of play hasn't changed at all over my 40 years of watching football. I love crushing blows (i.e. Chancellor's  massive hit on Vernon Davis), but from my experience Trevathan's situational hit has never been celebrated. And for the record...I will never stop watching football...B)

51 minutes ago, BrockStaysHigh said:

Did you even see the hit? Some flags are unnecessary just good def where a guy makes a big hit as soon as the wr catches it but this, was quite malicious.

Of course I saw it.

26 minutes ago, heehawks said:

I am not sure that is 100% accurate flem. Not totally disagreeing, I just believe that this particular hit was eggregious for any time period. I for one agree that the game has become "softer" and the big crushing hits we all enjoy as a huge part of football has become few and far between and in particular they baby qbs way too much. That being said, spearing with the crown of the helmet to another player's helmet on a clearly defenseless receiver was bush league. Now if Adams had not had players draped all over him and wasn't almost down, and Trevathan blew his azz up, it would be a much different story. My thoughts on that particular type of play hasn't changed at all over my 40 years of watching football. I love crushing blows (i.e. Chancellor's  massive hit on Vernon Davis), but from my experience Trevathan's situational hit has never been celebrated. And for the record...I will never stop watching football...B)

He wasn't defenseless at all, he was locked up one on one and driving his legs grinding for yards and the whistle hadn't blown yet.  No different than the Dez TD last week.  But that's not even my point.  He led with the crown of the helmet, which I have been opposed to for years but people used to bitch and whine about penalizing these hits.  "They shouldn't be illegal".  "How is is supposed to do anything when the receiver ducks".  "Football is a man's sport if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".  I could point to a dozen posts that argued against these from years past, but today it's all about what a cheap shot it was. 

I'm not saying it wasn't brutal - of course it was.  And I'm not one that thinks these plays should be allowed.  My only point was that 5 years ago this would be a 5 page post with 3/4 of the people complaining that this shouldn't be penalized.

10 minutes ago, flemingd said:

Of course I saw it.

He wasn't defenseless at all, he was locked up one on one and driving his legs grinding for yards and the whistle hadn't blown yet.  No different than the Dez TD last week.  But that's not even my point.  He led with the crown of the helmet, which I have been opposed to for years but people used to bitch and whine about penalizing these hits.  "They shouldn't be illegal".  "How is is supposed to do anything when the receiver ducks".  "Football is a man's sport if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".  I could point to a dozen posts that argued against these from years past, but today it's all about what a cheap shot it was. 

I'm not saying it wasn't brutal - of course it was.  And I'm not one that thinks these plays should be allowed.  My only point was that 5 years ago this would be a 5 page post with 3/4 of the people complaining that this shouldn't be penalized.

I feel ya bro about your reference to people complaining. Just respectfully disagree about the defenseless part, which is the crux and a very subjective part of the play. 

19 minutes ago, BrockStaysHigh said:

If u saw it i dont know how you can say he wasnt defensless 

You can see here catches it at the 10.5, he takes a couple of steps, he does a 360 spin move to get off the tackle (hard to screenshot, he's coming out of it in the 2nd pic, but watch the first 5 seconds of the video above), and he's one-on-one with a guy and has a blocker that might even shed that guy.  He had plenty of time to adjust and protect himself.  He was playing football by this point.

This is just like any other play in progress when Trevathan comes in.  If he doesn't use his helmet this is just a plain old tackle.  The hit isn't bad because he's defenseless, it's bad because he spears him with the crown of the helmet.  That's a penalty under any circumstances (according to the rules - it's rarely actually called).

image.png.ad9df78ae559e53f155e52fce4b2fd8a.png

image.png.0585adf0743e8e022a50c34a25c962e4.png

image.png.ff19c5ecaa6f80d33f13346164e478e8.png

Edited by flemingd

12 hours ago, flemingd said:

yeah that was before >95% of the brains of dead NFL players examined for CTE have CTE.

If you realize the players are literally dying to entertain you then it kinda takes the fun out of the games. The fact that they willingly do it doesn't make it any better.