[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Davin Cook

Shorttynaz

I think I posted in another thread here, but damnit I need to vent.  I traded Hopkins for him like 3 days ago.  ACL almost completely torn.  I don't think Murray or McKinnon are 100% right now.  Probably going to see an ugly blend of those 2 and Asiata.  I think the Vikings offense suffers huge as a whole and their skill players will regress.

6 minutes ago, kdko said:

I think I posted in another thread here, but damnit I need to vent.  I traded Hopkins for him like 3 days ago.  ACL almost completely torn.  I don't think Murray or McKinnon are 100% right now.  Probably going to see an ugly blend of those 2 and Asiata.  I think the Vikings offense suffers huge as a whole and their skill players will regress.

I think Asiata is gone. It's full back Duluth Native CJ Ham (RB3) and they are saving a roster spot for M. Floyd.. so unless they call someone like D'Angelo or AP becomes available I don't know if they have any other options outside LM and McKinnon.  LM can catch and is a decent but not even close to the explosiveness so we'll see.  MN Kfan sports couldn't get the Periscope audio with  Zimmer but I doubt they talked about anything more than confirming locally Cook has ACL tear.  Either way it will an ugly mess like it was last year.

4 hours ago, robotpimp said:
  1. I think Asiata is gone. It's full back Duluth Native CJ Ham (RB3) and they are saving a roster spot for M. Floyd.. so unless they call someone like D'Angelo or AP becomes available I don't know if they have any other options outside LM and McKinnon.  LM can catch and is a decent but not even close to the explosiveness so we'll see.  MN Kfan sports couldn't get the Periscope audio with  Zimmer but I doubt they talked about anything more than confirming locally Cook has ACL tear.  Either way it will an ugle mess like it was last year.

The loss of Cook will certainly hurt, but let's not forget that last year's mess was 95% related to the fact that the offensive line was terrible, not to mention decimated by injuries.  The Vikings completely revamped the O-Line, and it seems to be significantly improved.  I don't mean to imply that they can just plug in Murray/McKinnon and get the same production as they did from Cook so far, but I don't think it will be like last season repeating itself, either.  That is, as long as the O-Line can stay relatively healthy.  

Put it this way.... I would much rather have this year's O-Line with last year's RB group than the other way around.  Cook would have had nowhere to run last year, just like anybody else, and they couldn't protect the QB to save their lives.   

As for the others, Murray seems like nothing more than a 3.0 YPC plodder type of guy.  McKinnon at least has some explosiveness.  That said, I don't know if McKinnon can be a guy who can sustain that explosiveness with more than a dozen touches or so per game, so I'm guessing we see a complete split in time/snaps, at least in the near future.  

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

I would much rather have this year's O-Line with last year's RB group than the other way around.  Cook would have had nowhere to run last year, just like anybody else, and they couldn't protect the QB to save their lives.   

Completely agreed,  I'm hard on the Vikes.. but for sure that O-line is very much improved over last years.  

MN avg'ed allowing 2.4 sacks per game last year, it's 1.2 now (only 4 games played obviously), still it's a good sign. 

The O-line is better and having a shifty, fast and powerful back makes the line even better.  The loss of Cook is going to cut deeply since it changes everything about how the defense will prepare to defend the Vikings. The drop-off in talent is significant. Toss in Bradford being banged up and it is still not last year, but it's going to get much closer than anyone wants to see.