[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Shaft

Another year talking about ASJ and his potential. Do we believe this is the year where he gets it right? The Jets are the best team in NY and he's off to a decent start catching 9 of his 10 targets in 2 games. He's a FA in my league and I'm wondering what others think about him?

41 minutes ago, loaf said:

don't know about year but this is the week to start him if ever there was one.

Browns made Jesse James and Ben Watson look like Gronk and Jordan Reed...

Myles Garrett and Danny Shelton may play this week, but Collins is likely still out, he finally cleared concussion protocol but did not practice at all this week, not sure if he participated at all today. He is listed as DOUBTFUL

9 minutes ago, loaf said:

I don't see those two stopping the holes in the middle of the field that have plagued the Browns so far

I started typing it thinking Collins would be returning as well, which would make a difference, decided to still post the info.

Agree though, Browns D looks bad, and has allowed TEs to run free.

Can't believe we have replay and they still can't get it right even though everyone else can see it. Ridiculous really. They are getting too caught up in the Bullshat of rules when football is football. The guy had the ball and crossed the goalline with it in his possession. TD it's really that simple. Any game anywhere would have called that a TD. Just like Dez's TD against GB in the playoffs. They are just trying to get too technical. Almost seems like they are biased to the teams. Personal emotions looking for a reason to take the TD away. 

Just like the Denver game when they call CJ's TD a non TD. It was obvious he crossed the line. His whole upper body was across the line.

• Like 1

The referee is standing by his decision.  He says the ASJ was bobbling the ball as he crossed the plain and didn't reattain possession of the ball until he was out of bounds.  My guess is that is correct.  However, from the video angles I saw it isn't possible to know for sure when he got possession again after bobbling it.  Without video evidence, the call should have stood.  If they had originally called it a touchback, that should have stood too.

• Like 1

Disclaimer - I have no horse in this race. The result of the ASJ fumble ruling had no bearing on any fantasy matchups of mine, nor am I a Jets or Patriots fan...

The NFL has a real problem on their hands with instant replay. Whenever something is slowed down frame by frame, it really blows things out of proportion. That ASJ play was one of those bang-bang plays where the dude clearly didn't lose possession of the ball. He caught the ball cleanly. He had had clear possession when he hit the ground. Butler did well to try to strip the ball, but what happened was slightly more than a bobble. This is just another play in a long line of plays where replay fails to deliver (the Calvin Johnson "process" call vs. Chicago comes to mind as one of the first really horrible lack of common sense calls made by blowing things out of proportion frame by frame). Let's be real - any chance of the Jets pulling off the upset were virtually eliminated by that reversal. I

Aren't we all getting a little tired of long review delays and close games coming down to some dude in New York interpreting a play frame by frame?

By the way, ASJ did well to take the high road after the game.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Disclaimer - I have no horse in this race. The result of the ASJ fumble ruling had no bearing on any fantasy matchups of mine, nor am I a Jets or Patriots fan...

The NFL has a real problem on their hands with instant replay. Whenever something is slowed down frame by frame, it really blows things out of proportion. That ASJ play was one of those bang-bang plays where the dude clearly didn't lose possession of the ball. He caught the ball cleanly. He had had clear possession when he hit the ground. Butler did well to try to strip the ball, but what happened was slightly more than a bobble. This is just another play in a long line of plays where replay fails to deliver (the Calvin Johnson "process" call vs. Chicago comes to mind as one of the first really horrible lack of common sense calls made by blowing things out of proportion frame by frame). Let's be real - any chance of the Jets pulling off the upset were virtually eliminated by that reversal. I

Aren't we all getting a little tired of long review delays and close games coming down to some dude in New York interpreting a play frame by frame?

I agree a 100%. I am also starting to believe ASJ might truly turn things around this season. He has a lot to prove.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 8:42 PM, MTSuper7 said:

He had had clear possession when he hit the ground.

But did he establish himself inbounds after regaining possession of the ball?

On 10/17/2017 at 8:42 PM, MTSuper7 said:

but what happened was slightly more than a bobble.

According to NFL rules, a slight movement of the ball is allowed and the receiver is still considered to have possession.  More than a slight movement of the ball occurred.

images.jpg

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Great post. My feelings exactly, although I'm not totally sure if the problem is instant replay or their complete inability to define a catch. It's so simple and yet they can't seem to figure it out. Calvin, Dez, ASJ, the list goes on and on with players and plays that everyday fans would consider catches. It really detracts from the joy of the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

But did he establish himself inbounds after regaining possession of the ball?

According to NFL rules, a slight movement of the ball is allowed and the receiver is still considered to have possession.  There was more than a slight movement of the ball.

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

"Slight" is a relative term that is determined by discretion. He was robbed. Even ex-NFL VPs of officials say the league messed up

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

"Slight" is a relative term that is determined by discretion. He was robbed. Even ex-NFL VPs of officials say the league messed up

The ball is several inches from his hand and forearm and it moves from side to side.  It was a major bobble.  It was not a slight movement by any stretch of the imagination.  Mike Pereira, the ex-NFL VP, says it was the wrong call because he thinks that ASJ might have touched his knee inbounds after regaining possession.  Or he says that the replay video is inconclusive on this point so it shouldn't be overturned because their is no clear and obvious evidence that his knee didn't touch.  This is a situation where the call on the field should have stood either way it was called.  Here is Mike Pereira's thinking two days after it occurred: 

“One thing that is clear: He did lose the ball,” Pereira said. “You can see the ball come out of his hands. But then he does appear, it seems, (to get) it back. It seems that the left knee is the first thing that touches in-bounds, and it seems that he maintains control when he hits the ground. Once you do lose control like he did, now it almost becomes like a pass. When you hit the ground, you have to survive the ground – and if the ball comes out, then you do not have possession. But it didn’t happen. He rolled over with the ball. The ball (moving) is not loss of possession.

“Honestly, we tried all the way until noon today looking at the video again – Dean and I did – trying to say, ‘Where could they come up with this?’ And we don’t get it,” Pereira continued. “If replay is only supposed to change calls that are made on the field when the evidence to do so is clear and obvious, it doesn’t compute in this play.”

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1