[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PHI/CAR thread

BeeR

They got the TD but not getting the play calling from PHI there.  10-12 yds out and they keep running the all-power/no speed or moves Blount over and over....then on the 1 finally pass it?  Wouldn't that had made more sense the other way around, or at least mix it up more from the start?  Also did it seem to anyone else like Blount just takes the ball and sort of wades into the line?  It's like he's not even trying to look for a hole, just hoping the pile in the area he's in eventually ends up in the end zone.  :whack:

33 minutes ago, BeeR said:

They got the TD but not getting the play calling from PHI there.  10-12 yds out and they keep running the all-power/no speed or moves Blount over and over....then on the 1 finally pass it?  Wouldn't that had made more sense the other way around, or at least mix it up more from the start?  Also did it seem to anyone else like Blount just takes the ball and sort of wades into the line?  It's like he's not even trying to look for a hole, just hoping the pile in the area he's in eventually ends up in the end zone.  :whack:

They're up 18-10 and dominating the Panthers in every stage of the game.  Great coaching from Peterson so far.

I'm a mccaffrey owner and even though he hasn't been terrible and had a nice point total last night I'm still perplexed

I didn't expect him to be l fournette or anything....but his usage still puzzles me....the guy had 3 touches until the last 2-3 minutes of the 1st half....he ended the 1st half with 5 catches but 3 of them came in the 2 minute drill at the end of the half

now..i didn't watch the 2nd half...but id venture to say his other 5 catches were prob similar? it seems like Carolina makes no effort to get him involved unless they are chasing points.....to me he is a pace setter that will only help them open things up and score points early if they get him involved...and they don't seem interested in it......theres almost 0 creativity there on offense.....if mccaffrey were in several other cities I think hed be busting out....

they need to actually put the ball in his hands early and I'm sure it will open things up for everyone....stewart at this point is trash....if they are going to have him on the field theres no reason mccaffrey cant be out there too....all this talk about how linebackers cant cover Christian...well get him lined up on em and let him go to work

to me its like Carolina took this kid 8th overall and they would prefer to bang stewart and let cam put up some points and just let mccaffrey return punts lol

3 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

I'm a mccaffrey owner and even though he hasn't been terrible and had a nice point total last night I'm still perplexed

I didn't expect him to be l fournette or anything....but his usage still puzzles me....the guy had 3 touches until the last 2-3 minutes of the 1st half....he ended the 1st half with 5 catches but 3 of them came in the 2 minute drill at the end of the half

now..i didn't watch the 2nd half...but id venture to say his other 5 catches were prob similar? it seems like Carolina makes no effort to get him involved unless they are chasing points.....to me he is a pace setter that will only help them open things up and score points early if they get him involved...and they don't seem interested in it......theres almost 0 creativity there on offense.....if mccaffrey were in several other cities I think hed be busting out....

they need to actually put the ball in his hands early and I'm sure it will open things up for everyone....stewart at this point is trash....if they are going to have him on the field theres no reason mccaffrey cant be out there too....all this talk about how linebackers cant cover Christian...well get him lined up on em and let him go to work

to me its like Carolina took this kid 8th overall and they would prefer to bang stewart and let cam put up some points and just let mccaffrey return punts lol

He definitely seemed more involved in the second half.  Like you, I haven't been overwhelmed by his usage so far, but you can definitely see him climbing the learning curve.  I think he'll be just fine over the second half of the season as long as he can stay healthy.

57 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

He definitely seemed more involved in the second half.  Like you, I haven't been overwhelmed by his usage so far, but you can definitely see him climbing the learning curve.  I think he'll be just fine over the second half of the season as long as he can stay healthy.

agree...I think he can only gain steam....and stewart looked awful...not sure about whittakers injury

just seems like they are hesitant to get him involved early in games....which is odd....for a guy they invested in and went through full camp without injury....just figured they would have him out there a lot and try to set a tone and open things up for the other guys a bit more

you could clearly see teams are paying attention to him too.....the patriots basically let whitaker waltz in untouched on a miscommunication because guys were so concerned with making sure mccaffrey was accounted for....even on cams td run was opened up in part to him

I dunno...maybe this coaching staff is real hesitant about a big role for a rookie, especially a smaller sized one, early in the year.....but I agree I could def see him gaining steam as the season goes on....its not like hes been a huge disappointment fantasy wise either.....just seems like Carolina isn't even coming close to maximizing the potential of this offense with him...although maybe that's their intention right now

McCaffrey is on pace for 99 receptions.  He isn't very good at running the ball.  He has played 67% of offensive snaps this year which is a lot for a small fry.  Last night he played 74% of snaps.  Should he be getting more receptions, carries, or snaps?

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

McCaffrey is on pace for 99 receptions.  He isn't very good at running the ball.  He has played 67% of offensive snaps this year which is a lot for a small fry.  Last night he played 74% of snaps.  Should he be getting more receptions, carries, or snaps?

:what:

When did 5'11" 205lbs become small for a RB?  He's essentially the same size as McCoy. 

23 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

should be touching the ball more....early......setting the tone/pace.....

like I said...he had 3 touches until the last 3 minutes of the first half when they went 2 minute.......

as I mentioned....he does help draw attention....but they don't seem creative with him as a receiver...

Ron Rivera is a far better coach then I could dream about, but I am not sure why Panthers weren't running quick slants and screen passes all day against the aggressive Eagles blitz packages to catch them overpursuing.  McCaffery is tailor made for that work.

No one has ever said this before and never will again but "I think the Panthers miss Ted Ginn Jr."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cliaz said:

All I know is I'm glad I started Ertz

Curious what other options were you considering and why?  Is it the usual TNF curse (a drop in usual statistics).

I was worried that he seemed to not be involved early, instead it was the WR and other TE even that were getting looks. But I never considered sitting him, my 2nd TE is Njoku but even if a better TE not sure they'd be active, he's been a stud so far this season.

3 hours ago, Def. said:

:what:

When did 5'11" 205lbs become small for a RB?  He's essentially the same size as McCoy. 

205 pounds has always been small for a running back.  McCoy is listed at 210 and he is on the small side for a running back.  McCaffrey weighed 202 at the combine.  My guess is that he weighs less than 200 now.  When he takes a solid hit he bounces like a ping pong.  But if you are trying to think of small running backs that have prospered with a heavy load, there are a lot of examples.  Some small guys are leathery tough.  Some small guys are so elusive that they avoid big hits.  McCaffrey hasn't been avoiding big hits.  We will see if he is leathery tough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

205 pounds has always been small for a running back.  McCoy is listed at 210 and he is on the small side for a running back.  McCaffrey weighed 202 at the combine.  My guess is that he weighs less than 200 now.  When he takes a solid hit he bounces like a ping pong.  But if you are trying to think of small running backs that have prospered with a heavy load, there are a lot of examples.  Some small guys are leathery tough.  Some small guys are so elusive that they avoid big hits.  McCaffrey hasn't been avoiding big hits.  We will see if he is leathery tough.

Small is Sproles, Cohen, Thompson...but whatever.  I'm not going to try and counter your looks and guesses.

54 minutes ago, Def. said:

Small is Sproles, Cohen, Thompson...but whatever.  I'm not going to try and counter your looks and guesses.

The most carries a running back listed at 205 pounds or less had last year was Jerick McKinnon.  He had the 26th most carries with 159.  (Devonta Freeman is listed at 206 and had 227 carries)  It is rare for small running backs to get a heavy load.  

Edited by michaelredd9