[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you do when a disruptive manager is...your boss?

Alphashado

So I've been Commissioner of many, many leagues over the years. I've handled countless problems, addressed countless issues, removed  disruptive/rude players, replaced them etc. You name it, odds are I've seen it and dealt with it.

But this time it's different. Last year coworkers talked me into inviting my foreman at work. At first everything was fine, then about halfway through the season last year, he became "that guy". You know the guy. Always complaining about the rules, posting messages on the message boards complaining about everything under the sun. He even went so far as to suggest (openly) that I rigged the rules to help myself somehow.

I should mention that I take great pride in running my leagues as fair as possible. I am completely open to any and all rule changes and if a change is suggested, and there is enough interest, I will put the proposed change up for a vote. If a majority of managers vote for the rule change, I make it happen. I run my leagues more like a Democracy. I am very fair, honest, and would never EVER do anything underhanded or unfair. So I take particular insult to the notion that I am somehow cheating or using my position to give myself some kind of advantage.

Now this year it's even worse. And most baffling to me is that he's 4-2 and in 2nd place.. yet he's STILL whining about the waiver system. (even though the current system was voted on by the league).

So this morning I found out that he put in 40 waiver claims last night. Yes, you read that correctly. Managers were setting their alarms to wake up at 2am (more power to them) to get first nabs at players that cleared waivers. Yahoo doesn't DISPLAY waiver transactions until 1-3 hours after they process at server time, but you can pick up FA as soon as they process. In other words, you can pick up FAs at 2am CST even though players claimed on waivers don't display until 3am-5am.

Everyone in my league is well aware you can pick up FA at 2am. It's no secret. I even remind everyone of this each year during the draft.

But he doesn't like it. He doesn't like that people get up at 2am to get first crack at available Free Agents. So, in order to prevent people from doing this, he literally put in a waiver claim for every single player that someone might be interested in grabbing (this displays them on waivers at 2am instead of FA)

It was a dirty, underhanded tactic intentionally designed to disrupt the league. Normally at this point I would ask him to just leave.

But I can't.

Because he's my boss....

I'm open to any feedback from other commissioners on how you would handle this situation while I consider my options. I don't want to disrupt the league any further. I just want myself and the other managers to have fun. That's what it's all about right? But running the league is no fun for me anymore when I have to deal with a guy like this.

Part of me wants to just finish out the season and let the league dissolve. I'm hesitant to kick out my boss and risk years of crappy work assignments, but I am even less interested in running a league with him in it.

I'm confused, the way my league is set up is that you have to have a player on your team for at least 24 hours before he hits waivers when dropped. So in my league he'd just be picking up and dropping players for no reason.

Maybe look into changing that setting and leave it at that, wouldn't even mention anything about it to the league.

Your boss is a Dill Josh Gordon. But he is your boss, and I hope your work relationship is a little more tolerable. And yes, your job is way more important.

That being said, I would start casually mentioning now that change is good, and use the rest of the season to find and mentor a replacement commish to bring a new energy to the league. If you can keep it optimistic and glass half-full, the league will hopefully hold together.  And let the rule changes that would eliminate this behavior fall on the shoulder of new leadership in the off-season.. 

• Like 1

This prick's behavior hopefully suggests there is a sizable chunk of change on the table.  You never mentioned whether this is the case.  If it's a free or low-stakes league, and your boss runs his workplace like this, I'd look for another job.  I couldn't imagine working for a passive-aggressive chalupa of this magnitude.  But, since he's your boss, you're right, you're in a jam with the league.  Let's talk about that.

You can't run a league like a democracy.  I learned this the hard way over the years.  Owners' opinions are important, but the buck stops with you.  If you do not think you can call your foreman out on this, go to the coworkers who talked you into letting him into the league.  Tell them one of them needs to step up today to take the league over, as your work relationship with your foreman puts food on your table, the league doesn't.  If they won't, let them know you're running out the clock on the season to fulfill your obligation as commish, but won't be back to participate or run the league next year.

Heck, I think in any event you cannot have this league next season, given that the boss is in it, is a complete Dill Josh Gordon, and you cannot remove him.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

What a cluster(the really bad word), and a total chives of a bosh. As CowboysDiehard says, if he runs the business like this I'd be looking for a new job.

Probably just play the year out, let everybody know you're burned out as commish and need a replacement. If the boss volunteers, have a plan for not being in the league anymore.

PS  I don't like that kind of "sit by the computer and nab guys" kind of waivers. I'm also a bit confused about his waiver claims how they differ from those done by other managers, and if they are against the rules of your league. We used to have "that guy" in our league, more just annoying and whining about stuff, pestering people about trades (after they said NOT INTERESTED). When he finally left there was much rejoicing. Oh you also can most definitely run a league like a democracy when it comes to rules, the commish should not act alone to make rule changes. Once rules are established you do have to be prepared to play the heavy, which it sounds like you've done before.

I see this differently. If your team sucks then I'd let your boss know that at the end of the season it is his turn to be commish. But if you have a good team and want to continue in the league then the option is clear. You have to kill your boss. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have you sat down and had a heart to heart with the guy. Explain this game among football friends is just that a game. I realize you are my boss which puts me in a a very precarious situation beings you control my lively hood as well as our work relationship. I want to have a great relationship both inside and outside the workplace but what you are doing is making that difficult for me. We play this game in the spirit of fair play and if you believe that putting in 40 waiver claims to gain an advantage because you can is fair play then I guess we have a difference of opinion. However, I will point out that the entire league nor my colleges on FF forums have never seen this kind of aggressiveness. It just smacks of trying to gain the upper hand at all costs which is not why we play together and isn't in the spirit of fair play. I am telling you this because I happen to be the commissioner this year and must convey this information to you from the league owners. I don't like it but I feel you deserve to know what is being said. We all want to win and winning is great. But winning a game of fantasy football while upsetting everyone in the league doesn't seem to be what most people want. Now I can't stop you from doing it but I am appealing to your sense of fair play and keeping with the spirit of the NFL that we model our FF league after. Do you see team doing what you are doing to get a player or player's. What would the other owners say if this was being done. Would they be happy about being locked out at 2 in the morning because Jerry Jones put in a waiver claim for every available player. So I am respectfully asking you to realize the effects you are having on me, the league we all love to play in and your own sense of fair play. You and I have to work together and I don't some game we play to effect that relationship. I hope you can appreciate that.  I'm not here to debate your merits just convey information so that you can decide your future course of actions. Being commish isn't easy. We vote on rules and expect everyone to follow them to the best of their ability. If we need a rule change we vote on it in the off season so if you have any suggestions well can vote on them next year.

Most things can be solved with a little communication. Unless the guy is a total job which in that case ignore the above and leave.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

I see this differently. If your team sucks then I'd let your boss know that at the end of the season it is his turn to be commish. But if you have a good team and want to continue in the league then the option is clear. You have to kill your boss. 

I was thinking along the lines of getting a promotion then firing his ass...but this works too.

7 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Have you sat down and had a heart to heart with the guy. Explain this game among football friends is just that a game. I realize you are my boss which puts me in a a very precarious situation beings you control my lively hood as well as our work relationship. I want to have a great relationship both inside and outside the workplace but what you are doing is making that difficult for me. We play this game in the spirit of fair play and if you believe that putting in 40 waiver claims to gain an advantage because you can is fair play then I guess we have a difference of opinion. However, I will point out that the entire league nor my colleges on FF forums have never seen this kind of aggressiveness. It just smacks of trying to gain the upper hand at all costs which is not why we play together and isn't in the spirit of fair play. I am telling you this because I happen to be the commissioner this year and must convey this information to you from the league owners. I don't like it but I feel you deserve to know what is being said. We all want to win and winning is great. But winning a game of fantasy football while upsetting everyone in the league doesn't seem to be what most people want. Now I can't stop you from doing it but I am appealing to your sense of fair play and keeping with the spirit of the NFL that we model our FF league after. Do you see team doing what you are doing to get a player or player's. What would the other owners say if this was being done. Would they be happy about being locked out at 2 in the morning because Jerry Jones put in a waiver claim for every available player. So I am respectfully asking you to realize the effects you are having on me, the league we all love to play in and your own sense of fair play. You and I have to work together and I don't some game we play to effect that relationship. I hope you can appreciate that.  I'm not here to debate your merits just convey information so that you can decide your future course of actions. Being commish isn't easy. We vote on rules and expect everyone to follow them to the best of their ability. If we need a rule change we vote on it in the off season so if you have any suggestions well can vote on them next year.

That could work...unless his boss is Herm Edwards.  Just sayin.

1 minute ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Especially if it's an ESPN league...if it is, that's a level of commitment we should all aspire to!

Seriously.  If you take the time to put in 40 waiver claims you deserve to win the league.  This guy really knows how to lead by example.  No wonder you guys work for him!

• Haha 1

It seems that you do not think honesty and objectivity will do the trick, so this is not even a remotely direct or upfront way to do it.  Simply turn over the commissioner position to somebody you trust (who understands your predicament, agrees with your view and can keep mouth shut) who has been in the league long enough to make sense as the new commissioner.  A new commissioner who does not work with or for him and can and will confront him and politely tell him to either knock off the nonsense or get lost.  You play the good cop and take your boss's side in disputes.  Show him you care and agree, but heck, you're not the commissioner any longer so your hands are kind of tied.  If he doesn't stop, the new commissioner quickly boots him (to save on drama).  Argue (for your co-workers' benefit) that it was unnecessary and that he should at least get his entry fee returned if he's is booted.  Later (perhaps the following season?), the new commissioner can "flake out" and turn the league back over to you. The leagues I play in have a tradition that if you are kicked out, there's no getting back in.  If yours has a similar tradition, simply take advantage of it.  Even if it doesn't, most people I know would rather eat glass that try to get back into a league from which they had been booted. Why would he?  Hopefully he will stop acting like a tool, but if not, and if parts are played right, you just might be able to have your cake and eat it too.  If this guy is half the jerk you've described, the other co-workers will be equally happy to be rid of him during their off hours.  Again, I appreciate that this is somewhat less than forthright, but it seems that your circumstances otherwise mostly preclude you from salvaging a good result. 

27 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Most things can be solved with a little communication. Unless the guy is a total job which in that case ignore the above and leave.

I've tried that. Believe me, due to the sensitive nature of the situation, him and I had that conversation last year.

6 hours ago, Inziladun said:

I'm confused, the way my league is set up is that you have to have a player on your team for at least 24 hours before he hits waivers when dropped. So in my league he'd just be picking up and dropping players for no reason.

Maybe look into changing that setting and leave it at that, wouldn't even mention anything about it to the league.

He put in 40 claims in exchange for the same player knowing he would only get one of them.

Just to clarify- Yahoo processes their waiver claims at midnight (west coast server time) Wed morning. Even though it sometimes doesn't display  the waiver claims until an hour or two later, you can browse available free agents at midnight because players that were claimed still have a (W) next to their name. So you can pick up a FA at 12:05, it will show that FA aquisition on the log at 12:05 and then it displays the waiver logs at whatever time it decides to display them. 01:08 for example. So the log will show players being picked up at 12:05 and waiver claims being made at 01:08. Its a weird thing Yahoo does that I have no control over and it's just a matter of display times.

The waivers process at midnight, you can make FA pickups at midnight, you can only pick FA that weren't claimed on waivers, but it doesn't display the waiver pickups till later. So at first glance it appears those FA pickups were made prior to waivers being processed. So what this guy did was claim the 40 top players in exchange for one guy in order to ensure all those players still showed a (W) next to their names until waivers moves were displayed. It's a glitch in the system he found and exploited. All those players are still a FA, but now it doesn't display them as a FA until waiver claims are displayed rather than when they are processed. I am in WI- 2 hours later than west coast server time, hense the two hour discrepency in time frames.

5 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

This prick's behavior hopefully suggests there is a sizable chunk of change on the table.  You never mentioned whether this is the case.  If it's a free or low-stakes league, and your boss runs his workplace like this, I'd look for another job.  I couldn't imagine working for a passive-aggressive chalupa of this magnitude.  But, since he's your boss, you're right, you're in a jam with the league.  Let's talk about that.

You can't run a league like a democracy.  I learned this the hard way over the years.  Owners' opinions are important, but the buck stops with you.  If you do not think you can call your foreman out on this, go to the coworkers who talked you into letting him into the league.  Tell them one of them needs to step up today to take the league over, as your work relationship with your foreman puts food on your table, the league doesn't.  If they won't, let them know you're running out the clock on the season to fulfill your obligation as commish, but won't be back to participate or run the league next year.

Heck, I think in any event you cannot have this league next season, given that the boss is in it, is a complete Dill Josh Gordon, and you cannot remove him.

It is. In fact, the league is called High Rollers due to it's very sizable entry fee and pay outs.

In any event, thanks everyone for the feedback. I've pretty much decided just to play out the year and walk away.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Probably just play the year out, let everybody know you're burned out as commish and need a replacement. If the boss volunteers, have a plan for not being in the league anymore.

We used to have "that guy" in our league, more just annoying and whining about stuff, pestering people about trades (after they said NOT INTERESTED). When he finally left there was much rejoicing. Oh you also can most definitely run a league like a democracy when it comes to rules, the commish should not act alone to make rule changes. Once rules are established you do have to be prepared to play the heavy, which it sounds like you've done before.

THIS!!!!

Exactly described.  There always seems to be one that comes along.  I, unfortunately, had a league where there were 3-4 owners like "That Guy".  It suck the energy out of you, exhausting, and made it no fun.

The table were turned one year when I gave up Commish and said Guy took over.  He then tried to play the heavy all the time and could not handle it.  It moved to another owner, then I took over again, then finally left the league the next year and took all the good owners with me.  Everyone knew he was a tool, but they were friends and tolerated as best they could.

Yes, put rules to vote and just enforce.

I would put the rule change again to fix the pickup and drops to avoid the Waiver lockups.  They Yahoo rules allow for that loophole to be exploited.  If you put the rule change out there and majority XX to 1 vote nay, then he cannot complain or blame you.  The league has spoken.