[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff clincher/elimination

LuckyBub

Hi, everyone.

Does anyone know how to figure how many games I need to win, in order to clinch the playoffs? I'm in 1st place and I'd like to know how early I can clinch the playoffs. I'm 6-1 and the last playoff seed is 3-4 (tied with 3 others, both 5th seed and non-seeded). We play 13 weeks.

Thanks ahead of time.

56 minutes ago, XFlash said:

depends, H2H, division wins, total points, what of the games remaining are against division or conference teams

The league I run got rid of all this nonsense last season after a major blowup over tiebreakers.  Two guys are looking at the same data and came to different conclusions altogether. I made the call as commish, and one guy couldn't let it go.   He badgered the league about it on the board throughout the playoffs. 

So, by executive decision, I got rid of the divisions and simplified the qualification process.  I didn't allow the owners to vote on this, because there are a few very opinionated fellows in the league...e.g. this guy, who will write like Tolstoy on why we should or should not do something.  There's no way I wanted to write a tiebreaker process that went ten levels deep.

I broke it down to won lost, followed by total points (.00 decimal scoring involved here), followed by pistols at 10 paces.  No head to head, no division records, etc...

Now, we can look at the standings and see who is in and who is out at a glance.  Win games, score the most points, and you make the playoffs.  It's marvelous. 

2 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

The league I run got rid of all this nonsense last season after a major blowup over tiebreakers.  Two guys are looking at the same data and came to different conclusions altogether. I made the call as commish, and one guy couldn't let it go.   He badgered the league about it on the board throughout the playoffs. 

So, by executive decision, I got rid of the divisions and simplified the qualification process.  I didn't allow the owners to vote on this, because there are a few very opinionated fellows in the league...e.g. this guy, who will write like Tolstoy on why we should or should not do something.  There's no way I wanted to write a tiebreaker process that went ten levels deep.

I broke it down to won lost, followed by total points (.00 decimal scoring involved here), followed by pistols at 10 paces.  No head to head, no division records, etc...

Now, we can look at the standings and see who is in and who is out at a glance.  Win games, score the most points, and you make the playoffs.  It's marvelous. 

Our league follows a similar format.  We did divisions for year 1 and very quickly realized that this isn't the best route.

• Like 1

without knowing a lot more details about the league, no nobody here can tell you that.

If you played in a real league with other humans and a commissioner you could talk to they'd probably be able to help you.

I co-commish our league, around week 10 we start to give some playoff info, who's out for sure, anybody that's already in, and other stuff. But with tie games a possibility, and the tie breakers (one of which is total points) its hard to say. If you've played in the league for some period its usually easy to say "7 wins or more gets a playoff spot 90% of the time" and use something like that.

Nevermind all "use my rules its the only way to do fantasy" responses, seems that's all some here can offer as feedback these days.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Congrats on making the playoffs for the first time!

It's a nice feeling.

Actually, I've made the playoffs before. I just haven't been to the playoffs in a while, so I forgot. Granted, I've never started off this good before (I don't think). But thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XFlash said:

depends, H2H, division wins, total points, what of the games remaining are against division or conference teams

We don't have divisions or conferences. And I'm ahead in total points by a LONG shot - in front of EVERYBODY. There's 6 games left.

1 hour ago, LuckyBub said:

We don't have divisions or conferences. And I'm ahead in total points by a LONG shot - in front of EVERYBODY. There's 6 games left.

Why are you asking us this, by the way?  Does your league have a rules page?  Do you have a commissioner you can ask?

2 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Actually, yeah.  I'm beginning to think this is a troll account.  You just joined a very short list.

LOL Or perhaps you're making an ass out of u by assuming and I'm legit in asking my question.

46 minutes ago, LuckyBub said:

Is there a problem with me asking you?

Yes the problem is we don't know the league rules, you haven't even told us how many teams make the playoffs, how many teams in the league, what is the criteria for the playoffs etc.

How the hell are we supposed to know all of this?

But I digress, another loser to the ignore list, bye felicia.

• Like 1

Just now, stevegrab said:

Yes the problem is we don't know the league rules, you haven't even told us how many teams make the playoffs, how many teams in the league, what is the criteria for the playoffs etc.

How the hell are we supposed to know all of this?

But I digress, another loser to the ignore list, bye felicia.

I'm sorry. 6 teams make the playoffs (out of 10 teams, including mine). Criteria is to have the best record at the end of the season. In chance of a tie, it will be based on total points scored, then points scored against. Do you really have to be insulting??? I didn't realize I needed to give more information. Pardon me!!!

25 minutes ago, bdub1988 said:

I'm much more curious what coma patients you're drafting with that allowed you to somehow get Julio, Gronk, McCaffrey, and Gordon on the same team. That's a total joke.

We're a keeper league, and Gordon was one of them. McCaffrey is a rookie, and most if not all of the other owners weren't counting on him having a good first year - especially with Stewart still starting in Carolina. Also, I was 3rd overall pick and ended up picking Julio. Usually, WRs and RBs are mostly drafted in the first few rounds. TEs usually don't get drafted until the 4th or 5th rounds (3rd for big ones like Gronk, Ertz and such). Julio didn't exactly start the season off too great - at least as much as he was expected. Hell, he FINALLY got his first TD of the season just this last week! 7 weeks! If anything, a few (if not all) of these picks were rather risky. I took a gamble on them, and so far it was a good one. Hell, one or more of these guys could've ended up injured just as well as the players that did (David Johnson, Ware, Woodhead, Edelman, etc). Gronk has had injuries in the past, as well as Julio. Gordon could've gotten hurt (and still could). So, yeah - I was lucky to have started as good as I did, considering.

8 hours ago, LordOpie said:

And you guys wonder why this website is dying? 

Let him ask 

Really?  Did you see the other thread?

WTF is that? And then this thread is like asking for directions to Grand Central Station in France.  No one is going to know cause they are not in the same league.  I'd contend that "content" like this makes more people tune out of these forums rather then encourage them to join/participate.    

Course other venues of social media such as twitter coupled with the increase of information availability also contribute to people using forums less and less overall...but no totally must be the few remaining people who posts fault for calling out any nonsensical idiocy.  :shrug:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Def. said:

Really?  Did you see the other thread?

WTF is that? And then this thread is like asking for directions to Grand Central Station in France.  No one is going to know cause they are not in the same league.  I'd contend that "content" like this makes more people tune out of these forums rather then encourage them to join/participate.    

Course other venues of social media such as twitter coupled with the increase of information availability also contribute to people using forums less and less overall...but no totally must be the few remaining people who posts fault for calling out any nonsensical idiocy.  :shrug:

Maybe it's me saying Fantasy Football is unpredictable and you have just as much of a chance winning a title as you would missing the playoffs. And couldn't entertainment be found on here as well??? Pardon me if my post didn't entertain you.