[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Browns never ending search for a QB.

tazinib1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns believed they completed their acquisition of A.J. McCarron from the Bengals before Tuesday's deadline, but that the league would not allow it to go through.

Schefter reports the Browns notified the NFL of the deal "moments too late," and that the league would not budge. ESPN Clevelad's Tony Grossi went as far as to report that the Browns were "celebrating" McCarron's acquisition and "forgot to call in the deal before the deadline." That seems a bit hard to believe, though we really want to. The Browns have lost control of their quarterback narrative, letting their rivals and media paint them as hapless in their pursuit of an answer under center.
Related: Browns

Oct 31 - 5:27 PM

:lol::lol::lol: 
Poor Brownies....I really feel for you. Seriously. But damn you guys can't seem to fight your way out of those paper bags. Wait...isn't that the Lions? Whatever...same thing. 
  • Haha 1

I don't think either Wentz or Watson flourish in CLE, certainly not like they have been so far, both PHI and HOU are far more talented on both sides of the ball, better coached and better run organizations.

Browns fans are harping on the Myles Garrett pick now, he's injury prone and other nonsense. They wanted the hometown kid Trubisky, and now talk about how well he is doing in CHI.

1 hour ago, Big John said:

Now there is conflicting info of who botched the trade, with aa "league source" saying the Bengals sent in the wrong paperwork:

Conspiracy theory time.

Did the Bengals have second thoughts and botch this on purpose? ;)

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Laughing at CLE passing on Wentz or Watson is itself laughably stupid.  Hindsight is 20/20.  This "forgetting to call the trade in" is something to really laugh (or if you're a CLE fan, cry) about.  Not that McCarron is likely the next Manning or whoever, but he has possibilities.

IMO it's also quite stupid for them to even consider giving up on Kizer or for that matter Kessler so quickly.  Based on that logic, PHI and LA should've ditched Wentz and Goff this past spring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I don't think either Wentz or Watson flourish in CLE, certainly not like they have been so far, both PHI and HOU are far more talented on both sides of the ball, better coached and better run organizations.

Browns fans are harping on the Myles Garrett pick now, he's injury prone and other nonsense. They wanted the hometown kid Trubisky, and now talk about how well he is doing in CHI.

Flourish?  No

Make the team better?  Absolutely.   Even with really no talent on the team.  QBs can attract talent to come their way via free agency.    They need a focal point to build their around.  Problem is they continue to make  mistakes. 

I never got why they would Kizer.  He wasn't even good in college.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BeeR said:

Laughing at CLE passing on Wentz or Watson is itself laughably stupid.  Hindsight is 20/20.  This "forgetting to call the trade in" is something to really laugh (or if you're a CLE fan, cry) about.  Not that McCarron is likely the next Manning or whoever, but he has possibilities.

IMO it's also quite stupid for them to even consider giving up on Kizer or for that matter Kessler so quickly.  Based on that logic, PHI and LA should've ditched Wentz and Goff this past spring.

True but sometimes patience isn't worth it.  Especially when you get an idea of the QBs strength, weakness, development, decision making, etc... after a few games.   

Wentz showed potential from year one.  Everyone thought of him being a franchise QB.  

Goff didn't but that is a direct reflection on their former HC.  Once they got rid of him and brought a guy that is known for his offense, a true evaluation can at least be made.  Surprisingly, he has performed a lot better.

30 minutes ago, indyrckstar said:

True but sometimes patience isn't worth it.  Especially when you get an idea of the QBs strength, weakness, development, decision making, etc... after a few games.   

Wentz showed potential from year one.  Everyone thought of him being a franchise QB.  

Goff didn't but that is a direct reflection on their former HC.  Once they got rid of him and brought a guy that is known for his offense, a true evaluation can at least be made.  Surprisingly, he has performed a lot better.

Except you can't get a real idea "after a few games."  There's a long list of great QBs who would've never made it if that attitude was taken w/them.

A lot of people were questioning if both PHI and LA didn't screw up by paying so high for both of their QBs up to and including this summer.  It was hardly "everyone" thinking he was a franchise QB.  It was everyone going maybe, maybe not, maybe a bust, maybe not.  Again, hindsight. 

And how much diff the new HC made for Goff vs just simply being in the league another year and learning is more than a little debatable.

10 hours ago, stevegrab said:

you make  it sound as if trubisky is setting the world on fire....hes not

i cant say for certain watson or wentz would be flourishing in cleveland...in fact id prob lean towards they wouldnt be.....but they are still better than any qb on clevelands roster and maybe they could be elevating the play there.....

8 hours ago, BeeR said:

Wentz and Watson have a much better supporting cast especially in terms of weapons to throw at. Whilst the Browns basically have rookies and scrubs which definitely makes a difference. Not saying they wouldn't have been successful if the Browns had taken them but no guarantee its the same.

12 hours ago, Big John said:

Now there is conflicting info of who botched the trade, with aa "league source" saying the Bengals sent in the wrong paperwork:

Not really sure what to believe, the Bengals deny the messed up and the NFL says they received paperwork from the Bengals that covers the trade being completed. Sashi Brown may be a fool but this wasn't his first trade so it would be odd that he didn't know what paperwork was required. I heard it just took too long to decide, then they faxed it to the leauge office and it arrived 3 minutes late. Why they still use ancient stuff like faxing is beyond me.

4 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

you make  it sound as if trubisky is setting the world on fire....hes not

i cant say for certain watson or wentz would be flourishing in cleveland...in fact id prob lean towards they wouldnt be.....but they are still better than any qb on clevelands roster and maybe they could be elevating the play there.....

I didn't say a thing about Trubisky lighting the world on fire I said Browns fans (some of them) are harping on the Garrett pick becuase of his injuries and some had wanted the Browns to draft Trubisky very high, even first overall. He's a local kid, was Mr Football in Ohio his senior year in HS.

Yes those guys have more talent than the QBs we have now, not sure that we'd be any better with them though. At this point I have serious doubts than any thing can help this team.

31 minutes ago, BrockStaysHigh said:

If wentz or watson were on the browns theyd be consider busts. Clevelands only been watchable for 1 yr of my entire life lol. Im 27.

They've been pretty horrible since restarting as an expansion team, which has been almost 20 yeas now. What is mind boggling is their first 4-5 years were really the best, with steady improvement and a playoff game. Since then nothing but mediocrity or worse, constant coach/FO turnover, player controversies and busted draft picks. If I moved to Cleveland in 1999 I probably would have remained a fan of whatever team I cheered for already. (I moved there in the early 80s and enjoyed their most recent success with 3 AFC title game losses to Broncos in a 4 year span. That hurt but I'd take that over what we have now in a heartbeat.)

Edited by stevegrab

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I didn't say a thing about Trubisky lighting the world on fire I said Browns fans (some of them) are harping on the Garrett pick becuase of his injuries and some had wanted the Browns to draft Trubisky very high, even first overall. He's a local kid, was Mr Football in Ohio his senior year in HS.

Yes those guys have more talent than the QBs we have now, not sure that we'd be any better with them though. At this point I have serious doubts than any thing can help this team.

They've been pretty horrible since restarting as an expansion team, which has been almost 20 yeas now. What is mind boggling is their first 4-5 years were really the best, with steady improvement and a playoff game. Since then nothing but mediocrity or worse, constant coach/FO turnover, player controversies and busted draft picks. If I moved to Cleveland in 1999 I probably would have remained a fan of whatever team I cheered for already. (I moved there in the early 80s and enjoyed their most recent success with 3 AFC title game losses to Broncos in a 4 year span. That hurt but I'd take that over what we have now in a heartbeat.)

you did say "they wanted the hometown kid, Trubisky and talk about how well he is doing in Chicago"....so maybe it wasn't you directly...but the browns fans that you were speaking about....seems like they think trubisky is proving something already.....he really isn't being asked to do much at all right now...so I don't know how browns fans could act like trubisky is "doing well".

34 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

you did say "they wanted the hometown kid, Trubisky and talk about how well he is doing in Chicago"....so maybe it wasn't you directly...but the browns fans that you were speaking about....seems like they think trubisky is proving something already.....he really isn't being asked to do much at all right now...so I don't know how browns fans could act like trubisky is "doing well".

Yes that's part of my point, many of these Browns fans are rather delusional, especially when it comes to home town talent. They also whine a lot about the Browns not drafting enough Buckeyes.

17 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yes that's part of my point, many of these Browns fans are rather delusional, especially when it comes to home town talent. They also whine a lot about the Browns not drafting enough Buckeyes.

i hear ya

seems like they should watch some other teams play...bears are playing not too bad because they are playing good defense and running the ball...a lot of qbs can thrive in that kind of environment

that should help aid trubiskys development though...not a bad thing....he gets to take snaps against live 1st string NFL defenses and see things without being a sitting duck or taking a beating

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

16 hours ago, Big John said:

ah....the Bengals pulled the the ol' "extend your hand for a shake then pull it back and slick your hair when your mark goes for it" move!  Nice!

Edited by CowboysDiehard