[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dede Westbrook

1fastdoc

According to Rotowire he's been activated off of IR and expected to play this weekend. But his predicted points are still zero on Yahoo and I see no chatter. 

Is he playing and is he worth plugging in? 

I lost Garcon and my other WR is on bye so I'm currently SOL. 

He very well could be, hes more of a boom or bust.

If he played like he did in College, he was always open.. and had good separation.

He also has good hands and awareness and could compensate for bad passes.

But I could also see him struggling because he never ran the most difficult routes, hes has a thin-frame, and he was best in one-on-one match-ups (which i could see him struggling against pro-corners, especially with safety coverages)

10 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

If you have room hes worth a stash but hes on a poor passing offense and its a relatively tough matchup so id just sit him on your bench unless your truly desperate.

I'm desperate.  

Other options include Goodwin, Decker, Terrance Williams and John Brown.

I don't even have many good trade options unless I can get someone to take Reed.  But this is a dynasty league and at this point he's going to fade into obscurity or retire.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he is playing this week and is expecting big things......

"My expectations are high," Westbrook told SportsRadio 930 on Wednesday, "I always set the standard high for myself. For me, and this has nothing to do with the Cleveland Browns at all, but my expectation is a 200-yard receiving game."

Question is, who is adding him?

I'm not getting the Dede Westbrook thing. He has never played a down in the NFL. He was a fourth-round wideout taken after 14 other wideouts. He went between Amara Darboh and Josh Reynolds. He may have had a few good plays in the preseason against guys that are building outdoor decks and flipping burgers now. But even the top rookie WRs are doing nothing. I don't see it. Why?

Drake is an attractive start this week. He's turned in two nice performances since becoming a starting RB. 

37 minutes ago, DMD said:

I'm not getting the Dede Westbrook thing. He has never played a down in the NFL. He was a fourth-round wideout taken after 14 other wideouts. He went between Amara Darboh and Josh Reynolds. He may have had a few good plays in the preseason against guys that are building outdoor decks and flipping burgers now. But even the top rookie WRs are doing nothing. I don't see it. Why?

Drake is an attractive start this week. He's turned in two nice performances since becoming a starting RB. 

I find westbrook intriguing enough....in fact ive contemplated taking a shot....but I didn't do it

first thing is westbrook went out and dominated against those guys building decks....which is what good players should be doing against that level of comp

while the top WRs aren't doing much you have to consider...mike Williams, davis and ross have all battled injuries and Williams was starting off with one......but if you take a look around theres a few rookies who are making very solid fantasy contributions.....engram, juju, mccaffrey and kamara are all making a splash in the passing game....it can be done....wouldn't count on it with all the time missed....but this is a potential playoff team that is going to need people to step up and make plays in the passing game at some point....hes as good of a candidate as anyone

5 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Sorry @Big John, didn't mean to form it so much as a question. More of a statement

I think he's got a bot that monitors the boards and any post in the form of a question gets his attention. Most of us can tell the difference between somebody asking for advice and simply pondering something outloud. ;)

I too wondered what all the fuss was about Dede, sure lots of rookies have some chance to do something, but how many have their own threads and fan club. He's not a lock to play despite what he says (still officially on IR) and reports from media who follow the Jags say he won't be a big part of the offense. His "I'm going to get 200 yards, that's not a knock on the Browns" is just brash ego.

25 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I think he's got a bot that monitors the boards and any post in the form of a question gets his attention. Most of us can tell the difference between somebody asking for advice and simply pondering something outloud. ;)

I too wondered what all the fuss was about Dede, sure lots of rookies have some chance to do something, but how many have their own threads and fan club. He's not a lock to play despite what he says (still officially on IR) and reports from media who follow the Jags say he won't be a big part of the offense. His "I'm going to get 200 yards, that's not a knock on the Browns" is just brash ego.

In his defense I edited the statement to seem less like a question. I re-read it and decided it did sound like asking for advise so I re worded it. 

As for Westbrook, I might stash him. And as for putting up 200, at least he didn’t say “I’m hoping for 6 catches, 68 yards and a score” goals are supposed to be high. If he said the latter I would probably question weather or not he wants to play

2 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

In his defense I edited the statement to seem less like a question. I re-read it and decided it did sound like asking for advise so I re worded it. 

As for Westbrook, I might stash him. And as for putting up 200, at least he didn’t say “I’m hoping for 6 catches, 68 yards and a score” goals are supposed to be high. If he said the latter I would probably question weather or not he wants to play

ya...obviously hes a longshot to put up 200...but whats wrong with wanting to do really well or envisioning yourself doing really well?

i was a pretty good ball player in a few sports in my youth...and whenever i had a game that day(or in a couple of days or end of the week) i almost always envisioned, all day or week at school, myself performing optimally because thats what i expected.....it kind of goes back to the martavis bryant thread...whats wrong with wanting better or the best for yourself at this level....it seems some people just want guys to be ok with mediorcre outputs because they should just be happy to be there and be "part of the team" because we cant be

3 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

ya...obviously hes a longshot to put up 200...but whats wrong with wanting to do really well or envisioning yourself doing really well?

i was a pretty good ball player in a few sports in my youth...and whenever i had a game that day(or in a couple of days or end of the week) i almost always envisioned, all day or week at school, myself performing optimally because thats what i expected.....it kind of goes back to the martavis bryant thread...whats wrong with wanting better or the best for yourself at this level....it seems some people just want guys to be ok with mediorcre outputs because they should just be happy to be there and be "part of the team" because we cant be

I think your talking about the burgers and beer thread...right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

first thing is westbrook went out and dominated against those guys building decks....which is what good players should be doing against that level of comp

Just to go see why I left the preseason not that enamored of Westbrook, I just looked up what he did in the preseason.

Week 1 - 1-42 TD  Final play of Q3 pass from QB Brandon Allen (I think he is on practice squad of LAR now, he was cut by JAC)

Week 2 - 6-131  Caught all six passes in final two drives of Q4 in a game  they lost 8-12. Brandon Allen was QB.

Week 3 - Did not play - inactive.

Week 4 - 6-115 TD QB Brandon Allen for all.

The earliest he had any pass in the preseason was the final play of QB3. His Week 2 was all final 2 drives. Week 4 had some first-half catches in the most meaningless game of all. And every pass was thrown by a QB who has never thrown an NFL pass.

He was end of the game in preseason good I guess. But he never played in Week 3.

29 minutes ago, DMD said:

Just to go see why I left the preseason not that enamored of Westbrook, I just looked up what he did in the preseason.

Week 1 - 1-42 TD  Final play of Q3 pass from QB Brandon Allen (I think he is on practice squad of LAR now, he was cut by JAC)

Week 2 - 6-131  Caught all six passes in final two drives of Q4 in a game  they lost 8-12. Brandon Allen was QB.

Week 3 - Did not play - inactive.

Week 4 - 6-115 TD QB Brandon Allen for all.

The earliest he had any pass in the preseason was the final play of QB3. His Week 2 was all final 2 drives. Week 4 had some first-half catches in the most meaningless game of all. And every pass was thrown by a QB who has never thrown an NFL pass.

He was end of the game in preseason good I guess. But he never played in Week 3.

you arent saying anything i didnt already admit...i said he did pretty well against the guys building decks....which is what you want to see....something good players do.........im not sure how every pass he caught  coming from a guy that has never thrown an nfl pass is a negative....i think PFF had him as their 3rd best WR prospect coming into the draft

look..im not saying hes going to even see a snap ...or do anything.....but hes def intriguing....rookes are contributing in the passing game....just because williams davis and ross havent doesnt mean they arent and cant......but id tend to agree thats a little late in the game to expect westbrook to step in and make a big impact....but this is def a team that could use a spark....id say hes more likely to not make an impact because its late and hes behind the curve and jax has a little thing going right now....and maybe his slight frame and chickenlegs.....but i dont think his preseason usage is any indication of his talent level or ability....

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis
  • Like 1