[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Jones vs Roger Goodell

rajncajn

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jerry-jones-hires-lawyer-threatens-sue-roger-goodell-extension-204900038.html?exp=vv

I'll have to call Jones a bit of a hypocrite on this one though. Goodell is his best buddy when it's another team taking the hit, but when it's his player it's time to lawyer up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I've been critical of Jones' GM acumen here...however, I'm supportive of this.  Goodell sucks and needs to go.

But Jones didn't object when Brady was "wrongly punished".  Also not sure why he and others trying to defend Zeke keep talking about the NFL's suspension and what is needed in our justice system, this is not a criminal or civil court case (the NFL's investigation of Zeke and ensuing suspension). It is a labor issue, covered by the CBA.

I read another story that prior to the Zeke suspension Jones voted with in favor along with all other owners of giving Goodell an extension, and empowering their committee on compensation to determine his contract. Jones was a non voting member of that committee, and when they met to decide on compensation he lobbied for them to not give the extension, they tossed him off the committee and explained to the other owners why they did that and how Jones was trying to sabotage prior approval on the extension.

I hope the NFL and the other 31 owners counter sue and punish the petulant child.

It has more to do with the situation than Zeke.  Goodell hired Joe Lockhart as comms director for the NFL back in January 2016 after the mess with Brady and Rice.  Both Lockhart and Goodell are turning the NFL into the NSJWL.  It's hurting attendance and ratings.  Granted, there are other factors, like CTE fears having parents keep youth away from football (ref Mark Cuban's comments), cable cutting, etc..., but in light of those factors, best practice would be to do your best not to alienate a sizable portion of your fan base by condoning anthem protests and thereby projecting to your fans (whether justified or not) that you are cozying up to groups like BLM.

51 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

It has more to do with the situation than Zeke.  Goodell hired Joe Lockhart as comms director for the NFL back in January 2016 after the mess with Brady and Rice.  Both Lockhart and Goodell are turning the NFL into the NSJWL.  It's hurting attendance and ratings.  Granted, there are other factors, like CTE fears having parents keep youth away from football (ref Mark Cuban's comments), cable cutting, etc..., but in light of those factors, best practice would be to do your best not to alienate a sizable portion of your fan base by condoning anthem protests and thereby projecting to your fans (whether justified or not) that you are cozying up to groups like BLM.

Wow I think that's pretty far off base, you think Goodell and others in the NFL executive leadership are SJWs, or trying to make the NFL some social justice squad?  Cozying up to BLM?  A bunch of rich white conservative guys?

If this guy was hired almost 2 years ago and Jones and other owners didn't like it, why'd they agree to give him an extesion (a unanimous vote from what I read) just months ago?

from Augut of this year

https://deadspin.com/report-nfl-close-to-a-contract-extension-with-roger-go-1798154841

"Interestingly, as Kaplan also reported (and Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk emphasized), Goodell’s contract only needs final approval from the six owners who comprise its compensation committee. All of the owners gave the compensation committee that authority in May, just two months after word got out that Cowboys owner/shadow commissioner Jerry Jones wanted every owner to be involved in Goodell’s contract talks. And Jones, according to Kaplan, is not on the compensation committee."

• Like 1

Apparently granting authority to the commissioner and committees and then trying to retract it when you don't agree is all the rage on both the players' and owner's (note: singular grammar) now. Don't extend Goodell and let Jerry install himself in the position. He's not just bigger than the NFL, he is the NFL. And Dallas fans wonder why everyone hates the Cowboys... Starts at the top.

• Like 2

We live in a litigious society.  Jerry's job is to win games.  The best way to do that is to have one of his best players playing on the field instead of on his Xbox.  This is a means to an end.  

Why would he step in when Brady was under scrutiny?  He had no skin in that game. 

I can't blame the guy at all.  His responsibility is to his players and the fans that put money in their pockets.  If keeping Zeke on the field is what  he needs to do then he should exhaust all options to do so.  This is not about nobility or integrity, it's about money.  Besides, Goodell sucks and this punishment did not match the alleged crime from the beginning.  At least the legal battle may keep that unilateral gavel in check when future issues arise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

We live in a litigious society.  Jerry's job is to win games.  The best way to do that is to have one of his best players playing on the field instead of on his Xbox.  This is a means to an end. 

Why would he step in when Brady was under scrutiny?  He had no skin in that game.

I can't blame the guy at all.  His responsibility is to his players and the fans that put money in their pockets.  If keeping Zeke on the field is what  he needs to do then he should exhaust all options to do so.  This is not about nobility or integrity, it's about money.  Besides, Goodell sucks and this punishment did not match the alleged crime from the beginning.  At least the legal battle may keep that unilateral gavel in check when future issues arise.

So his threat to sue Goodell and the NFL is being done to force them to overturn Zeke's suspension? They're supposed to be intimidated and bow to his demands? What is he a mob boss?

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

So his threat to sue Goodell and the NFL is being done to force them to overturn Zeke's suspension? They're supposed to be intimidated and bow to his demands? What is he a mob boss?

What would you do in his shoes?  

Have you not noticed out this country works?  If you have an issue in which you're not getting what you want, you get a lawyer.  It's all about who gets the better/more expensive attorney.  

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I honestly always viewed him as one. I see very few differences. :out:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

What would you do in his shoes?

Have you not noticed out this country works?  If you have an issue in which you're not getting what you want, you get a lawyer.  It's all about who gets the better/more expensive attorney.

I'm 52 and never sued or been sued, not sure what I'd do. But I hope I wouldn't act like a total hypocrite and whiny baby (that's how I see Jones) and be reasonable. Many here belong to the "stick it to Goodell" crowd who still cannot understand the owners deserve their criticism not Goodell the puppet of the owners. So they cheer on Jones while he does what's in his best interest, not what's best for all of the NFL.

Edited by stevegrab

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'm 52 and never sued or been sued, not sure what I'd do. But I hope I wouldn't act like a total hypocrite and whiny baby (that's how I see Jones) and be reasonable. Many here belong to the "stick it to Goodell" crowd who still cannot understand the owners deserve their criticism not Goodell the puppet of the owners. So they cheer on Jones while he does what's in his best interest, not what's best for all of the NFL.

What's better for the NFL? 

Option 1 - After a year long investigation, suspend Elliot despite multiple investigations providing many conflicting/unreliable reports and a recommendation from your own investigating team female lead not to suspend causing multiple legal court cases, constant media coverage, and general ridicule of the league over the last few months.

or

Option 2 - Not suspend Elliot after the year long investigation referencing the conflicting reports, previous criminal investigations actions, and recommendation from the female lead investigator as the reasons no actions were taken.   Any push back/media conversation lasts a week until the next major injury or hot topic story comes up. 

or

Option 3 - Not suspend Elliot as listed above for this investigation, and instead suspend him for other clear cut reasons like exposing a women's breast in public

If you chose Option 1, you should not be the commissioner of the NFL.  If you chose Option 2 or 3, you should submit a resume now for consideration.  We could expand on this to include other great decisions for the NFL such as Ray Rice, Josh Brown, Bountygate, Deflategate, and many more.  Over saturated market, declining product quality, declining viewership/sales, constant negative media attention...really doesn't seem like he's doing what is best for the NFL. 

• Like 2

I've said a few times (maybe not here) that I'd withdraw the current suspension, new speedy investigation on him exposnig the woman's breast (3-4 games) and be done with it.

What isn't best for the NFL is a circus of court dates and hearing, Jerry Jones threatening to sue the NFL and other owners over Goodells extension (that he previsously supported). Fans laughing at it all like its some sort of soap opera. Maybe that's where sports is headed, more drama and fake off field BS instead of the actual games. The NBA is already pretty bad, NFL is getting really bad, I understand NCAA football & basketball is often embroiled in tons of off field nonsense and violations. Its like we've turned our sports leagues into reality shows, including family members spouting off on social media, Kardashian curses etc.

IMO, DeMaurice Smith is actually the one to blame here, for allowing the current CBA to grant the Commissioner full, unilateral reign and discretion over all NFL disciplinary matters...Jerrah (as one of the 32 puppet masters) is also partially to blame himself, for pushing (or at least not protesting the move) to give such unilateral power to Goodell when the CBA was negotiated...

20 hours ago, the outlaw said:

IMO, DeMaurice Smith is actually the one to blame here, for allowing the current CBA to grant the Commissioner full, unilateral reign and discretion over all NFL disciplinary matters...Jerrah (as one of the 32 puppet masters) is also partially to blame himself, for pushing (or at least not protesting the move) to give such unilateral power to Goodell when the CBA was negotiated...

What about the other 31 owners? And 1500+ active members of the NFLPA at the time it was approved. They're all responsible too.

My issue is with Jones being in favor of Goodell's extension until he got upset about Zeke's suspension, now he's trying to fight it and sue the league and his fellow owners to stop it.

On 11/10/2017 at 1:10 PM, Def. said:

What's better for the NFL? 

Option 1 - After a year long investigation, suspend Elliot despite multiple investigations providing many conflicting/unreliable reports and a recommendation from your own investigating team female lead not to suspend causing multiple legal court cases, constant media coverage, and general ridicule of the league over the last few months.

or

Option 2 - Not suspend Elliot after the year long investigation referencing the conflicting reports, previous criminal investigations actions, and recommendation from the female lead investigator as the reasons no actions were taken.   Any push back/media conversation lasts a week until the next major injury or hot topic story comes up. 

or

Option 3 - Not suspend Elliot as listed above for this investigation, and instead suspend him for other clear cut reasons like exposing a women's breast in public

If you chose Option 1, you should not be the commissioner of the NFL.  If you chose Option 2 or 3, you should submit a resume now for consideration.  We could expand on this to include other great decisions for the NFL such as Ray Rice, Josh Brown, Bountygate, Deflategate, and many more.  Over saturated market, declining product quality, declining viewership/sales, constant negative media attention...really doesn't seem like he's doing what is best for the NFL. 

Goodell does not seem to pick the right battles.  His decision not to let this go as well as cashing down Brady on deflatgate was all bad PR.  Couple that with the knee-jerk decisions that were also wrong ( Ray RIce, the first time) and you have a guy who just really continually makes poor decisions and shouldn't be the lead of a billion dollar industry

• Like 1

On November 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM, stevegrab said:

What about the other 31 owners? And 1500+ active members of the NFLPA at the time it was approved. They're all responsible too.

My issue is with Jones being in favor of Goodell's extension until he got upset about Zeke's suspension, now he's trying to fight it and sue the league and his fellow owners to stop it.

I'm not disagreeing with you - as I said, the owner's (a/k/a puppet masters) pushed for this so they would have the complete upper hand.  The players (at the time of negotiation) likely just "wanted to play" and had no clue as to what type of a monster they were creating.

Now there are reports that Goodell wants a $50M salary plus lifetime use of a private jet and healthcare for his family - who knows whether that is real or fake news...but if real, the owners are total morons if they do grant him that, when what he really needs is a good swift kick to the exit...

Regardless of whether he gets an extension or not, it will be a very interesting negotiation when the current CBA expires.

Edited by the outlaw

For all those that want Goodell gone, do you really think the next commissioner is going to be that different? Won't push for harsh punishment on issue that enrage fans like domestic violence? Or won't push for more games or a team in London?  Or any other key decision currently made regarding the NFL?

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

For all those that want Goodell gone, do you really think the next commissioner is going to be that different?

Yes.  Just look at how vastly different Goddell is from Tagliabue. 

22 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Won't push for harsh punishment on issue that enrage fans like domestic violence?

This question focuses on the wrong things, it's not about harsh punishment.  It's about consistent punishment that is applied in a fair manor.

23 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Or won't push for more games or a team in London?

Yes, fresh eyes should see that the product is suffering both in sales and image and will focus on restrengthening the home market before worrying about expansion.

25 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Or any other key decision currently made regarding the NFL?

Broad question but yea sure.  The very definition of insanity would be allowing Goddell to make the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results, so one can only hope.   

rajn,

Respect your opinion, you made good points, yes "consistent punishment" is key. I just think that for the most part the owners back Goodell on most of these issues, a new commissioner who they'll elect won't stop pushing for London or stray from what Goodell has done.Maybe just having somebody else in charge and making some statementa about changes for the future will have some fans coming back.