[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BILLS BENCHING TAYLOR

peoplehater

3 minutes ago, Shaft said:

That's BS. The whole team underperformed. Bench that whole defense for giving up 300 rushing yards and 6TDs.

They've just been waiting for an excuse to bench him and move on. Just Tyrod played well enough for 8 weeks to stop them from doing that.

Feels weird to have such a deficient team in sole possession of the #6 seed. 

• Like 1

My opponent this week has to freaking out, Rodgers injured, now Tyrod benched his 3rd QB is Rivers who may be out with a concussion. Sounds like his conditions is improving and he's expecting to start.

Not a lot of other options out there, also see that ARI likely to be without Drew Stanton so Gabbert would get the start.

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

it sounds like y'all think that Taylor is significantly better than Peterman? I was able to only land Peterman in one of my three dynasty leagues. I know he was a 5th round pick, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Taylor. This is a great week for BUF to make the change since SD is one of the worst DEF against the run. If they can pull out a win with Peterman throwing less than 20 times, then he'll have a chance to grow with less pressure. He did pretty well filling in last week.

also, if they're moving on from Taylor, then they needed to bench him while not injured since he's due a crap ton of money in March 2018. Any "injury" would allow Taylor to get "needed" surgery and force them to pay at the start of the calendar year. If they could release him now, not sure on the cap hit, they should so he doesn't suffer a practice or weight room "injury".

I picked up Peterman and just might start him over any of the other QB streamers out there, I own McCoy so lets hope for a ton of screens

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

it sounds like y'all think that Taylor is significantly better than Peterman? I was able to only land Peterman in one of my three dynasty leagues. I know he was a 5th round pick, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Taylor. This is a great week for BUF to make the change since SD is one of the worst DEF against the run. If they can pull out a win with Peterman throwing less than 20 times, then he'll have a chance to grow with less pressure. He did pretty well filling in last week.

also, if they're moving on from Taylor, then they needed to bench him while not injured since he's due a crap ton of money in March 2018. Any "injury" would allow Taylor to get "needed" surgery and force them to pay at the start of the calendar year. If they could release him now, not sure on the cap hit, they should so he doesn't suffer a practice or weight room "injury".

Not sure where you're getting the bolded from, haven't seen anybody comment on one being better than the other, only that their offense being bad is more than just Tyrod and their defense got torched for 41 points, definitely not Tyrod's fault. I don't think I've seen much of the Bills, certainly not Peterman so I'm not making any comparisons of their ability to play.

PS  The team form SD is now in LA ;) hard to break that habit I know. I've tried using LAC and works in some cases (like game matchups BUF-LAC) but when in another case it seemed odd and I wrote Chargers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

I can't comment on Peteman as I've not seen him since his college days at Pitt but just felt Tyrod hasn't played badly enough to warrant being benched. If Peterman turns out to be a lot better then I guess it'll be more understandable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I don't think we have data to support that he is either better or worse. Taylor is one of 4 QBs who has 10 TDs and 3 Ints or less (Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor) He also has a respectable Rating of 91.4. So yeah, I'm calling BS on this.

Edited by Shaft

Maybe it is a classic example of "coaching" trying to get the most out of Taylor. As has been stated above there are a ton of stats that say Taylor isn't a bad qb. Some even say he's one of the better qbs in the league right now. I don't know exactly what kind of person he is but he seems to be a pretty stand up guy. I think the fans and management are being unfairly hard on this guy. Kind of like expecting Stafford to go win the super bowl by himself after that contract. The Bills are just being ridiculous and blaming the QB for a winning record, because who else could you possibly blame Bills fans?

25th in Passing Yards, 29th in Yards per game,  26th in Yards per Attempt, 29th in Yards per Completion, 4th in Sacks against, and he is sacked 10% of the time when trying to pass. 

He has grown statistically worse every year so far for these and other categories.  His only consistent improvements are in Completion % and Int %, which makes his decrease in all the other areas even more sad.  These are not the makings of a good QB...or even an average one.  He's simply not a starter.   

4 hours ago, Def. said:

25th in Passing Yards, 29th in Yards per game,  26th in Yards per Attempt, 29th in Yards per Completion, 4th in Sacks against, and he is sacked 10% of the time when trying to pass. 

He has grown statistically worse every year so far for these and other categories.  His only consistent improvements are in Completion % and Int %, which makes his decrease in all the other areas even more sad.  These are not the makings of a good QB...or even an average one.  He's simply not a starter.   

If we're going there, I have no idea why Alex Smith has been given so many chances. I think it's a new coach who was looking for an opportunity to bench him. At the end of the day, it comes down to wins and the Bills haven't produced there over the years. Either way, it's awful timing and it makes the team look bad when they are fighting for a playoff spot. Add to it, the coach just said "Tyrod is our starter." They better make the playoffs or this "calculated risk" makes them look incompetent. 

I read a stat that the only quarterback who had more rushed  throws than Taylor was Watson.

I don't see how this fixes that issue unless of course you had a skilled QB who could move and throw. I feel like that's not either of them.

Edited by Rbgb

34 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

:blink:....you had Taylor over Wentz ROS?

No its a 2QB league and Indy screwed me with Luck and Palmer got injured and now Taylor isn't starting.

I have Keenum in since last week and Wentz. But with Bridgewaters return imminent

Tyrod has been more than solid but he'll never be elite.  With this being the first year of a new regime, they probably don't care if they make the playoffs or not.  They will be a one-and-done team if they do squeak in.  Starting Peterman is win-win.  If Peterman does well, they'll know they have their quarterback of the future.  If he sucks, they'll have a higher first round pick from losing more games and they'll know to try to get one of the blue chip quarterbacks in the draft.  They even stockpiled first and second round picks with the Mahomes and Watkins trades that they can use to move up in the first round.

Fantasywise, I think this could help Kelvin.  Tyrod hasn't ever put up big passing stats.  And Tyrod is not a quarterback who throws into coverage.  He has the lowest interception rate in NFL history (though he doesn't have enough attempts to officially qualify).  When his receivers are covered, Tyrod runs.  Kelvin needs a quarterback that will throw into coverage.  Kelvin is a big target that doesn't get huge separation.  In fact, he ranked as the worst receiver in the NFL last year at getting separation averaging only 1.8 yards of separation on his targets.  Peterman is an accurate thrower who can better throw into coverage.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 2

Totally logical and long overdue move.  Taylor is IMO the worst kind of QB to have, because he isn't good enough to take the team to the next level and be great, but he is good enough to win you some games and prevent you from being a 3-13 type team who at least will get high draft picks and a shot at a QB (or whatever) who could be great and really help turn the team around.  It was idiotic to keep him in the first place.   They talk about CLE being QB hell, BUF aint much better.

1 hour ago, BeeR said:

Totally logical and long overdue move.  Taylor is IMO the worst kind of QB to have, because he isn't good enough to take the team to the next level and be great, but he is good enough to win you some games and prevent you from being a 3-13 type team who at least will get high draft picks and a shot at a QB (or whatever) who could be great and really help turn the team around.  It was idiotic to keep him in the first place.   They talk about CLE being QB hell, BUF aint much better.

This is most QBs in the league. I'm not a Tyrod Taylor fan and don't have a dog in the fight, but if they feel this way they should've done it in the beginning of the season. They were looking for a reason to bench him, so they waited until a game where the WHOLE team sucked. They got rid of most of his receiving corps over the past few years and the guy has still been producing.

For the record, I agree with many of the criticisms of of his play, but more or less, I am criticizing the way the Bills handled the situation.

• Like 1