[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time to give Mahomes a look?!?

dope man

With the Chiefs offense stalling here of late and losing 4 out of last 5 games, the question has to come up....When do you put Mahomes on the field? He was drafted to spark the offense and stretch the field. I know, Smith started the season out on fire....but does the team have to fall out of playoff contention(will happen) before they look at the rookie? Just my observation guys, maybe it sounds crazy...but I for one think this is the right time!

I mean...it's not that far fetched....a lot of people were calling for it after the pre-season, then Smith rattled off a few really good games! Aside from that what has he shown in KC??? Previous seasons suggest that he is the same QB that I still think he is, a game manager and nothing more! Imagine Tyreek Hill with a QB that can really throw a deep ball!!!! Just saying, I really don't expect them to do anything either until they are out of contention(which is coming). 

Well I have to get in on this.....Slowly but surely the shine of the NE game has worn off. Will Reid bench him in favor of Mahomes. No way. Should he....It pains me to say this but probably not yet. KC recent struggles are not all on Smith. Other than Hill and Kelce we are down to our 4th string WR due to injuries. The play calls and game plan have been terrible recently.  Smith first 5 games of the season was not real Alex Smith, Smith the last 2 weeks turning the ball over is not real Alex Smith. If he continues to struggle lets roll Mahomes out there. My guess is we get old reliable game manager Alex back and we lose in the first round of the playoffs...again. What would anger most KC fans is if Alex is not traded this offseason. 

Didn't another team bench their above average, yet sometimes underwhelming quarterback in the heat of a playoff race for a rookie last week? How well did that go for them?

As long as the Chiefs are in first place in the division they should keep Alex Smith in. The Kaep/Smith thing was different because Alex Smith got hurt and the 49ers did great with Kaep in so they decided to not give Smith the job back. That situation is more like Prescott/Romo or Brady/Bledsoe than this because the Chiefs know what they have in Mahomes at practice, but they have never seen him play in a regular season NFL game. The Chiefs would be choosing to bench a healthy quarterback having one of the best seasons of his career for an unproven rookie.

Edited by jkraft896

On 11/19/2017 at 2:17 PM, dope man said:

I just see Alex Smith reverting back to his "game manager" ways after starting hot! It's a shame this team will have to be out of contention before they make a change.....They have too much talent on the team for that!

I think it's the coaching and play calls, rather than Smith's ability.

A moment to vent if I may.....

It is time...Mahomes should be starting. KC has scored less than 17 points in 3 straight games, against bad defenses, but the offense has been bad going on 6 weeks! Even if we do limp into the playoffs its most likely one and done yet again. Why not put the kid in there?! Goff and Wentz took their lumps last year and are now thriving! The talking heads on ESPN say benching him would decrease his trade value...Really!? Decrease it more than terrible play!?  Smithers has gone 4 staright games without a TD pass of 25 yards or more. He did not even attempt a pass of 25 yards or more in the Buffalo game! You have the fastest WR in footall Smitty C'mon!! I had the pleasure of watching the Buf game with a friend who we in KC call a "Smith apologist" (Stats do not matter he just wins) After 4 straight screen passes in a two minute drill vs Buf, YES 4!!! Followed by a Smith Int. he admitted it is time to move on. Reid said in coach press conference today no QB change will be made......That is all

Game manager quarterbacks have won Super Bowls.  A rookie quarterback has never even gotten to the Super Bowl.  The only reason to switch to Mahomes would be to give up on this year and look to the future.  The Chiefs are still in first place of the AFC West.  It is not time to give up on this year.  Good teams sometimes go through bad stretches.  There is always hope that things will turn around especially with a smart coach like Andy Reid at the helm.

History has shown that starting a quarterback in their rookie season can be shortsighted.  Pushing a rookie quarterback to start in an offense that is currently dysfunctional can have damaging effects on the young quarterback's development.  The best course for both salvaging this year and preparing Mahomes for the future is to keep him on the bench and hope that Alex Smith and the rest of the offense regain their early season form.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Game manager quarterbacks have won Super Bowls.  A rookie quarterback has never even gotten to the Super Bowl.  The only reason to switch to Mahomes would be to give up on this year and look to the future.  The Chiefs are still in first place of the AFC West.  It is not time to give up on this year.  Good teams sometimes go through bad stretches.  There is always hope that things will turn around especially with a smart coach like Andy Reid at the helm.

History has shown that starting a quarterback in their rookie season can be shortsighted.  Pushing a rookie quarterback to start in an offense that is currently dysfunctional can have damaging effects on the young quarterback's development.  The best course for both salvaging this year and preparing Mahomes for the future is to keep him on the bench and hope that Alex Smith and the rest of the offense regain their early season form.

But what if the Alex Smith that we saw in the first few weeks was a illusion...what i am saying is that there is nothing in his past that suggests he is really that guy. Maybe the Alex Smith we have seen the last few weeks is the REAL Alex Smith and the team will die with him. Wouldn't a quarterback that could stretch the field even be better for opening holes up for Hunt??? I don't know, rookie or not, it just makes sense to me!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dope man said:

But what if the Alex Smith that we saw in the first few weeks was a illusion...what i am saying is that there is nothing in his past that suggests he is really that guy. Maybe the Alex Smith we have seen the last few weeks is the REAL Alex Smith and the team will die with him. Wouldn't a quarterback that could stretch the field even be better for opening holes up for Hunt??? I don't know, rookie or not, it just makes sense to me!

I am assuming that Game Manager Alex Smith of the last 10 years is the real Alex Smith and that he played over his head for a stretch to begin the season.  He isn't going to win a Super Bowl single-handedly like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning.  But he is a very efficient quarterback who makes very few mistakes.  If the Chiefs get good offensive line play and good defensive play, he is good enough to win a Super Bowl.  Even rookies who show a lot of promise are too mistake prone to win 3 or 4 straight games against playoff teams.  To think that Mahomes could go from practicing with the 2nd-stringers to instantly being an effective starting quarterback in week 13 isn't realistic.  Becoming an a good starting quarterback in the NFL is a process.

• Like 2

Have to agree starting a rookie at this point is waving the white flag on the season.

And it sounds like those calling for Mahomes have as much beef with Reid and the rest of the offensive play as Smith. Bad OL play, bad play calling (I'm assuming Reid called the 4 straight screen passes being discussed not Smith).

12 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I am assuming that Game Manager Alex Smith of the last 10 years is the real Alex Smith and that he played over his head for a stretch to begin the season.  He isn't going to win a Super Bowl single-handedly like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning.  But he is a very efficient quarterback who makes very few mistakes.  If the Chiefs get good offensive line play and good defensive play, he is good enough to win a Super Bowl.  Even rookies who show a lot of promise are too mistake prone to win 3 or 4 straight games against playoff teams.  To think that Mahomes could go from practicing with the 2nd-stringers to instantly being an effective starting quarterback in week 13 isn't realistic.  Becoming an a good starting quarterback in the NFL is a process.

Very few mistakes.....have you watched him play the last 4 games??? Your "game manager" has had 4 tds and 4 ints in that stretch......I'm pretty certain that the rook could at the very least duplicate those pathetic stats, taking away the sarcasm I am really certain that he could champion those stats and stretch the field for this stalled offense. But you guys are right, Andy Reid will wait till they are bumped from playoff contention before he switches......he is waving his own white flag!

• Confused 1