[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the Year

michaelredd9

Coach of the Year  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Coach of the Year?

• Mike Zimmer
    • Sean McVay
    • Mike Tomlin
    • Doug Marrone
    • Doug Pederson
    • Bill Belichick
    • Sean Payton

Sean McVay took a 4-12 team with a bust for a rookie QB and an offense that was wholly ineffective and turned it all around. Granted - nice schedule helped. But he's had such a team-changing impact he has to be one of the candidates.

4 minutes ago, DMD said:

Sean McVay took a 4-12 team with a bust for a rookie QB and an offense that was wholly ineffective and turned it all around. Granted - nice schedule helped. But he's had such a team-changing impact he has to be one of the candidates.

but Zimmer took the back-up QB from that 4-12 team and has them at the top of the NFC.  And he lost his top RB

I think its between McVay, Zimmer and Marrone

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zooty said:

but Zimmer took the back-up QB from that 4-12 team and has them at the top of the NFC.  And he lost his top RB

I think its between McVay, Zimmer and Marrone

I think Zimmer and McVay are equally deserving. What McVay has done with that team is remarkable. What Zimmer has done with the Vikes considering the QB situation and losing Cook is remarkable as well. Vikes have always hung their hat on the Defense since Zimmer’s been here but the offense has been impressive as well. Being a Vikes fan I’ll lean toward Zimmer for obvious reasons

I'm trying to figure out why Tomlin is even on the list.  :blink:

I'd go Pederson.  Outside of Wentz (who also had his rookie ups and downs), they aren't exactly household name superstars (and just look at that run game ugh) yet have the best record in the NFL.  Zimmer would be my very close #2 pick.

• Like 1

I voted Pederson.  Sophomore QB, and like Beer said, not really any superstars.  Not an Eagles fan by any stretch, but he has his team so focused and playing championship caliber football.

If we could pick 2, Zimmer would also get my vote.  

Edited by Shorttynaz

2 hours ago, BeeR said:

I'm trying to figure out why Tomlin is even on the list.  :blink:

The Steelers are a great team this year.  They are excellent on both offense and defense which is rare in today's NFL.  Vegas currently has them with the second best odds to win the Super Bowl at 7-2.  My guess is that Tomlin is less responsible than other coaches for his team's success but that is purely speculation.

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

The Steelers are a great team this year.  They are excellent on both offense and defense which is rare in today's NFL.  Vegas currently has them with the second best odds to win the Super Bowl at 7-2.  My guess is that Tomlin is less responsible than other coaches for his team's success but that is purely speculation.

Tomlin has a HOF QB, WR and RB on the roster and yet still cant manage to put game plans together to win games without relying on his kicker against teams like Indy and Greenbay. The def struggles against the run yet he has a HOF LB in James HArrison who can still plug the run gaps like the best of them and is a freak of nature athlete not to mention the leadership and emotion he brings to the defense yet he's been a healthy scratch all year. LIke I mentioned in another thread, our pass defence is FAR from a top notch defense, it's been camouflaged by teams running the ball consistently in the first half of the season, in the last 3 games, 5 TD's of 50 yard or more since Haden has gone down. Bud Dupree, JJ Watt and the corners (safe Haden) all ranked near the bottom of PFF's list.  In my view of what I've seen this year, although 9-2, we have Zero shot at beating NE,  mainly because Tomlin hasn't a clue how to beat them. The only way is if Ben Bell and Brown play outta their minds and the Pats have a down game...

Colin Cowherd, as annoying as he is, said it best this week, Tomlin has no formula on winning, he relies solely on his stars to make big plays, no model of consistency whatsoever. His own former players call him more of a cheerleader than a coach. 

10 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Colin Cowherd, as annoying as he is, said it best this week, Tomlin has no formula on winning, he relies solely on his stars to make big plays, no model of consistency whatsoever. His own former players call him more of a cheerleader than a coach. 

What kind of formula are you talking about?  The only formula I know is to score more points than your opposition.  Mike Tomlin has excelled at that formula.  Tomlin has never had a losing season in 11 years.  He has the second highest winning percentage of any current coach trailing only Bill Belichick.  He has the 15th highest winning percentage in the history of the NFL.  How is that not a "model of consistency"?

I see nothing wrong with relying on your stars to make big plays.  Bill Belichick relies on Tom Brady to make big plays.  Good coaches develop star players and then rely on them.  Mike Tomlin won a Super Bowl and coach of the year before Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell were Steelers.  Antonio and Le'Veon have become the best wide receiver and best running back in the NFL while having Tomlin as their coach their entire career.  I'm not going to criticize a coach because he relies on players that have developed into stars under his tutelage.

You should be enjoying this season instead of being a cup-half-empty guy like Colin Cowherd.

Edited by michaelredd9

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, DMD said:

Hard to call Goff a bust of a rookie QB when any veteran put behind that line would have struggled mightily. Gurley went from RoY to nothing because of that line and with Whitworth and an upgraded line Goff and Gurley showed their talent.

On 03/12/2017 at 0:44 PM, michaelredd9 said:

What kind of formula are you talking about?  The only formula I know is to score more points than your opposition.  Mike Tomlin has excelled at that formula.  Tomlin has never had a losing season in 11 years.  He has the second highest winning percentage of any current coach trailing only Bill Belichick.  He has the 15th highest winning percentage in the history of the NFL.  How is that not a "model of consistency"?

I see nothing wrong with relying on your stars to make big plays.  Bill Belichick relies on Tom Brady to make big plays.  Good coaches develop star players and then rely on them.  Mike Tomlin won a Super Bowl and coach of the year before Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell were Steelers.  Antonio and Le'Veon have become the best wide receiver and best running back in the NFL while having Tomlin as their coach their entire career.  I'm not going to criticize a coach because he relies on players that have developed into stars under his tutelage.

You should be enjoying this season instead of being a cup-half-empty guy like Colin Cowherd.

Good points and you cant take the wins away from him however its the games like last night that happen over and over again year in year out that keep us from getting over the hump. This year weve been fortunate to win them other than the bears. If that horrific reffing crew doesn't call that bs hold on gio we lose on Greens 3rd td.. 

Games like last night and the game vs the bears, they have cost us so many byes and better seeds over the years,

Look at this for a second..

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-steelers-record-against-terrible-teams-remains-terrible-after-loss-to-dolphins/amp/

could it he worse? Of course.. but the bar has been set , 10 wins a year might be nice to most teams but in Pittsburgh its superbowl or bust, and when u play the bengals and browns 4 games a year 10 wins is expected when you have the talent theyve had over the years.... 

Tomlin has consistently shown an inability to get his team ready for games.. sports world, local media CONSTANTLY having this debate, I'm certainly not the only one.

You dont need to say a word to your team when the packers the pats the ravens are on the sched.. a great coach keeps his team buttoned up, focused, pedal to the metal every game, sure youre gonna have some ups and downs but it seems like evey damn week with this team.. 

Then there is the dressing room, off field garbage. Tomlin has ZERO control over his dressing room, there is no discipline, no respect, and to me that transfers over to the field.  

Edited by Gourdeau

manure like this is what drives me nuts about tomlin.. Brown should be on the bench for a game but nothing will happen cause Tomlin is boys with all his players. I liken it to parents trying to be friends with their kids so their kids think they are cool. 

Bill Belichick can be a dictator and it works.  No other coach can be that.  Every other coach has to walk a fine line between discipline and being a player's coach.  Some coaches act tough in public but are very distant from their players.  They are like a grandfather and ignore a lot.  Some military-type coaches like Tom Coughlin had to learn to be distant and ignore a lot.  I think Mike Tomlin does an excellent job of walking that fine line.  Even though we see a tough, no nonsense exterior, he is a player's coach.  He is a true friend to his players.  Being a friend to his players means that he does hold some power over them.  It also means they will take advantage of that friendship and act like petulant little children knowing that their only punishment will be a stern talking to.  There is no perfect way to handle players like Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown.  They have power and they know it.  Despite their imperfect off-the-field or locker room behavior, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell have always been perfect on the field.  Whatever small dramas we witness, Tomlin is doing an amazing job as long as they keep producing on the field at their current level.

20 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Bill Belichick can be a dictator and it works.  No other coach can be that.  Every other coach has to walk a fine line between discipline and being a player's coach.  Some coaches act tough in public but are very distant from their players.  They are like a grandfather and ignore a lot.  Some military-type coaches like Tom Coughlin had to learn to be distant and ignore a lot.  I think Mike Tomlin does an excellent job of walking that fine line.  Even though we see a tough, no nonsense exterior, he is a player's coach.  He is a true friend to his players.  Being a friend to his players means that he does hold some power over them.  It also means they will take advantage of that friendship and act like petulant little children knowing that their only punishment will be a stern talking to.  There is no perfect way to handle players like Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown.  They have power and they know it.  Despite their imperfect off-the-field or locker room behavior, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell have always been perfect on the field.  Whatever small dramas we witness, Tomlin is doing an amazing job as long as they keep producing on the field at their current level.

Fair .. feel like im in therapy lol .. 

3 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Fair .. feel like im in therapy lol .. 

Nah brother, you're just a homer.  The Steelers are like child for you.  You want the best for them.  And a lot of NFL players are less mature than anybody's child.  Mike Tomlin is probably even more frustrated than you.  But he realizes that it is better for him to look like he isn't in control than to show his players up.  A good general takes the blame for his troops.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Nah brother, you're just a homer.  The Steelers are like child for you.  You want the best for them.  And a lot of NFL players are less mature than anybody's child.  Mike Tomlin is probably even more frustrated than you.  But he realizes that it is better for him to look like he isn't in control than to show his players up.  A good general takes the blame for his troops.

His "some fans may be happy with 10 wins but for the Steelers its Super Bowl or bust" sounds like somebody expecting a SB title every year, anything less is a disappointment. (Like Yankee fans.) Then he mentions playing the Browns and Bengals twice every year, that should be 4 wins. Browns I'll give you as they've been horrible for a long time with an average season since returning in 1999 of 4-5 wins. But the Bengals are not that bad, and over the past 10 years have as many 10 win seasons as sub .500 seasons. So no the Steelers and their fans should not expect to win those 4 games every year.

They don't know how good they have it, want to get rid of Tomlin who's been a very good coach. Almost like they want to say anybody could do this well with that roster.

What does it say when a coach is currently1-27 over the last two years and no one really expects any changes?  Kinda odd - any other team would have fans screaming to clean house. Cleveland seems like "meh - maybe next year."

Although I am not a Jets fan, I do hope that Todd Bowles gets some votes.  He wont win, but the fact that he has gotten 5 wins out of this team is a miracle.  his team started out losing to Buffalo, getting trucked by the Raiders and then won three in a row, including beating the Jaguars.  In the five other loses, they have lost each game by 8 points or less.  

They may only win one of their last four - Denver, Saints, Chargers and Patriots left - but even a 6-10 record in miraculous considering who is on their roster.  This team plays hard every game and is a few bad plays away from being right in the playoff hunt (see Patriots, Dolphins and Bucs loss).

As for who should win, as long as the Rams don't implode down the stretch it will be Sean McVay