[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the Year

michaelredd9

Coach of the Year  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Coach of the Year?

• Mike Zimmer
    • Sean McVay
    • Mike Tomlin
    • Doug Marrone
    • Doug Pederson
    • Bill Belichick
    • Sean Payton

16 hours ago, skylive5 said:

My vote goes to Hue Jackson since he hasn't resigned yet. Gotta love a guy that sticks to it no matter how bad things are.

:lol:

Things are bad there?  I thought they were the same?  Just used to it I guess.....

1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

It’s Bill Belichick every year.  17 straight winning seasons, missing the playoffs twice at 9-7 and 11-5.  10 AFC Championship game appearances, 7 SB appearances, and 2 miracle catches stand in the way of their being 7 time SB champs.  Nobody else even comes close :shrug:

No one is arguing his legacy.  This year he's been good (as usual), but others have been better. 

Vikings are on their 3rd string QB and RB?  Are you kidding me?

1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

It’s Bill Belichick every year.  17 straight winning seasons, missing the playoffs twice at 9-7 and 11-5.  10 AFC Championship game appearances, 7 SB appearances, and 2 miracle catches stand in the way of their being 7 time SB champs.  Nobody else even comes close :shrug:

Lol dont bring up 2 miracle catches without bringing up tuck etc etc etc .. but lets not go there.. we've all been down that road a million times.. but you're right, model of consistency with no name talent on both sides of the ball, doesn't matter who is lined up you get the same every game

There's another guy not on this list that deserves an honorable mention and thats John Harbaugh, with all those injuries the Oline and a roulette of rbs .. he's got his team right in the mix. Id trade Tomlin for him anyday of the week, at least he has figured out how to beat NE

10 hours ago, DMD said:

What does it say when a coach is currently1-27 over the last two years and no one really expects any changes?  Kinda odd - any other team would have fans screaming to clean house. Cleveland seems like "meh - maybe next year."

What makes you think fans aren't calling for the team to clean house? I said he may not be fired, because that doesn't appear to be certain at this time. I didn't say he won't be fired, and people don't want him fired.

Fans are becoming apathetic no doubt. This last time we thought we finally may have gotten it right. A HC that other teams were interested in, that appeared to be our first choice. Some different but semi-proven methods in the front office (analytics guys, but admittedly low level of football experience). Now things have gotten worse, ok last year we "tore it down to the studs and rebuild" but we won a game, and looked better during parts of that season than now. We could easily go 0-16, our rookie QB may be a bust, our other young players may be talented, but hard to know with a bunch of scrubs surrounding them. Are Nassib, Ogbah, Garret, Sheldon, Orchard our future and good enough? Or do we need more? We know we need LB help, and secondary too. What about the OL, does JT retire, why haven't the free agents been better and helped us? Do we have a RB for the future, or do we need one. Are Coleman/Gordon studs in the making, or duds we move on from.

And that's a semi rational post from somebody who didn't think the HC and GM should have been fired long ago, there are plenty fans who wanted them gone after 2016, or even before that season started. (GM Sashi Brown was regularly beaten up by fans for the 2016 draft picks, passing on Wentz and Goff as well as others.)

I'm MEH because I'm slowly accepting this team will never be as good as it was when I became a fan (the AFG title games era in the 80s), heck they may never return to having a winning season with any regularity. At this point our old normal fo 4-5 wins and having some quality players seems like its a long way off.

Lastly who wants to coach or run this franchise? Owner seems clueless (hiring and firing often, nobody good so far, plus his crooked business dealings and ongoing investigation), a team that is almost talentless, has a losing culture, a fanbase that has little patience. crappy winter weather, and more.

3 hours ago, NAUgrad said:

No one is arguing his legacy.  This year he's been good (as usual), but others have been better. 

Vikings are on their 3rd string QB and RB?  Are you kidding me?

No coach is ever better.  Jmo, but year in and year out he get the job done, never loses the team, deals with controversy and player turnover, manages the salary cap, deals with coaches leaving, etc.  he just doesn’t get the COY nods becAuse someone else’s short term success is shinier for XYZ reason.

honestly, i don’t care as long as the team keeps having great seasons, but he deserves it every year.  Case Keenum having a breakout season is not an argument against it :lol:

3 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Lol dont bring up 2 miracle catches without bringing up tuck etc etc etc .. but lets not go there.. we've all been down that road a million times.. but you're right, model of consistency with no name talent on both sides of the ball, doesn't matter who is lined up you get the same every game

There's another guy not on this list that deserves an honorable mention and thats John Harbaugh, with all those injuries the Oline and a roulette of rbs .. he's got his team right in the mix. Id trade Tomlin for him anyday of the week, at least he has figured out how to beat NE

I know that in a sense you are agreeing, I’ll just point out that to have to nitpick my points like that only proves them.

On 12/6/2017 at 0:24 AM, DMD said:

What does it say when a coach is currently1-27 over the last two years and no one really expects any changes?  Kinda odd - any other team would have fans screaming to clean house. Cleveland seems like "meh - maybe next year."

They just fired their  GM and retained Jackson for next year.  Per NFLN

3 hours ago, Big John said:

They just fired their  GM and retained Jackson for next year.  Per NFLN

Not sure we'll ever get the whole story but I still think this has something to do with the failed McAaron trade. Lots of talk that Hue wanted him, that Haslams backed him, and Sashi was not on board. So maybe he sabotaged that (the failed paperwork excuse is fishy) and is now being fired for it. Lots of reports that Hue and Sashi have not been talking or getting along for weeks.

Some stability is better than a complete rebuild, though I have many concerns and issues with Hue including his play calling and in game managemnt. New GM (or Haslam) needs to force him to hire and OC to take over play calling.

I don't think Sean McVay deserves to be leading this race (at the time of writing this), because his results are skewed by the fact that Jeff Fisher took the Rams to a new level of dysfunction before he was fired. I voted Zimmer because they are 10-2 with a 3rd-string career journeyman at QB. But even as I write that, I have to be reminded that Case Keenum was right in the crosshairs of Jeff Fisher's dysfunction too. Funny how these QBs are playing lights out now.

So maybe coach of the year should be Doug Pederson... :thinking:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2017 at 5:22 AM, michaelredd9 said:

The Steelers are a great team this year.  They are excellent on both offense and defense which is rare in today's NFL.  Vegas currently has them with the second best odds to win the Super Bowl at 7-2.  My guess is that Tomlin is less responsible than other coaches for his team's success but that is purely speculation.

Are you ready to concede that Tomlin is an absolute gong show of a coach. Like how could he not see it coming that NE would sign James Harrison. He cuts harrison and lets him and all his knowledge walk to the biggest competition we have. Not to mention the heartbeat of that defenseive locker room, not on the field but those young guys look up to him, so frustrating

5 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Are you ready to concede that Tomlin is an absolute gong show of a coach. Like how could he not see it coming that NE would sign James Harrison. He cuts harrison and lets him and all his knowledge walk to the biggest competition we have. Not to mention the heartbeat of that defenseive locker room, not on the field but those young guys look up to him, so frustrating

I think he should be fired right now worst coach ever. Does he have complete roster control? Stupid Rooney family they're ruining the team and should sell it ASAP.

38 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I bet Harrison was becoming a cancer in the locker room.  He publicly complained a few weeks ago about not getting any playing time.  I also think it's bush league if Harrison does divulge the Steelers' defensive schemes.  A person with even a small amount of honor and loyalty would refuse.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:56 AM, DMD said:

Sean McVay took a 4-12 team with a bust for a rookie QB and an offense that was wholly ineffective and turned it all around. Granted - nice schedule helped. But he's had such a team-changing impact he has to be one of the candidates.

i agree 100 percent . i did vote for him in this poll and hope he wins

On 12/6/2017 at 11:54 AM, Caveman_Nick said:

No coach is ever better.  Jmo, but year in and year out he get the job done, never loses the team, deals with controversy and player turnover, manages the salary cap, deals with coaches leaving, etc.  he just doesn’t get the COY nods becAuse someone else’s short term success is shinier for XYZ reason.

honestly, i don’t care as long as the team keeps having great seasons, but he deserves it every year.  Case Keenum having a breakout season is not an argument against it :lol:

south_park_smug_farts.gif

21 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I bet Harrison was becoming a cancer in the locker room.  He publicly complained a few weeks ago about not getting any playing time.  I also think it's bush league if Harrison does divulge the Steelers' defensive schemes.  A person with even a small amount of honor and loyalty would refuse.

There is no loyalty in sports.  he knows why he's in Foxboro don't kid yourself, hes an educated, smart guy.  His goal is to PLAY for a championship, if him playing meant he had to go to NE and help out their offense too , im certain he is fine with that. He had no quams about going to the Bengals

Edited by Gourdeau

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/26682/why-the-james-harrison-time-bomb-blew-in-steelers-locker-room

Jeremy Fowler is a pretty reputable source. This changes things for me big time in terms of why he was released and echoes michaelredd9 earlier statement. Having said this, getting back to my original rant. I still feel Tomlin and Butler should have absolutely given Deebo more snaps. The guy is still a solid run stopper and can get to the qb in certain situations. You watch, he'll be a studd in NE

• Like 1

The more analysis and differing perspectives I'm hearing from various sources and well respected people in the NFL media, former players etc, the more I have no idea how to feel about it. On one side you've got your all time sack leader, who has been a rock on your defense for years, who made it clear that he wanted to play before he signed his new deal, and he's adamant they told him he'd play, the 3 mil he signed for would corroborate that in my opinion, early on it becomes clear to him he isn't going to have a role and he requests a release very early in the year. No dice, the guy is 39 all he wants is 1 more kick at the can, not like he has much time left, then they finally decide to release 2 days before xmas, kinda low. On the other side the Steelers likely had a plan in place to use him, until it became apparent that TJ Watt was a lot more ready than expected. I'm hoping this can be a Brett Farvre esque scenario where after a few years time will heal wounds, guess we will wait and see.