[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CYA Ben McAdoo

DMD

There goes my vote for Coach of the Year in the other thread.  NOT.

Benching Eli for Geno Smith after completely losing your team and having them flat out give up for most of the season....yeah, I'd say that firing was justified.

2 hours ago, Butkus said:

There goes my vote for Coach of the Year in the other thread.  NOT.

Benching Eli for Geno Smith after completely losing your team and having them flat out give up for most of the season....yeah, I'd say that firing was justified.

I guess you missed the part about the OWNER (Mara) being in agreement with benching Eli so the other QBs (esp Webb) could get some playing time. He hoped it would have went better and that fans would not have been so pissed, but since Eli said FU to starting to keep the streak alove and the fans were forming a lynch mob, firing the HC/GM is a good way to get the fans back on your side.

53 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I guess you missed the part about the OWNER (Mara) being in agreement with benching Eli so the other QBs (esp Webb) could get some playing time. He hoped it would have went better and that fans would not have been so pissed, but since Eli said FU to starting to keep the streak alove and the fans were forming a lynch mob, firing the HC/GM is a good way to get the fans back on your side.

1)  Nobody had a problem with Eli being benched to develop Webb.  That isn't what happened, though.  Benching Eli to play Geno makes zero sense.  They could have done it on their bye-week, giving Webb ample time (since his lack of time played was the excuse for playing Geno over him).  They could have held the meeting when the owner was around, instead of relying on McAdoo to deliver the message (poorly) when the owner was out of town.  Instead, they did neither of those things, and left it up to the HC who is clearly in over his head.  It was almost as if the owner didn't WANT to be there (didn't want to look Eli in the eye when telling him, so let's just assign the task of telling Eli to the HC who is on his way out the door anyway).  That's a slap in the face to a QB who has delivered two SB rings.  It's like losing your job after 10 years, and having upper management assign the task of telling you to the person who is leaving in a week.  Wait... actually, it IS that.  What a bunch of BS.  

2)  Mara admitted that he basically assumed everyone (himself, the GM, and the HC) were all on the same page.  Then, after he heard about how it all went down, he realized that clearly they were not (on the same page).  McAdoo telling Eli that he would be benched at halftime was a terrible idea, and Mara said as much.  

3)  Eli handled it all very diplomatically (never said "FU" to anybody, that I'm aware of).  He simply didn't want to play a half (with a pre-planned benching) in a game that he would be trying to win, as if it was some sort of exhibition contest.  Yet, despite his unhappiness with the decision, guess who was the first Giant to arrive at the team facility early, the same day that he was given the news.  Yep, it was Eli... mentoring the rookie before practice began (he was benched earlier that morning).  

McAdoo looked like a deer in the headlights all season.  Justified doesn't begin to explain his firing.  It was a guarantee.  

• Like 3

Sounds like Mara botched it then to begin with, trursting McAdoo to deliver some message he was too afraid to handle, and thinking they were all on the same page. I get that it was contentious between McAdoo and Eli, so why'd Mara let McAdoo handle the delicate situation? What did he expect McAdoo to tell him, and why'd he think that would be ok with Eli?  He sounds very out of touch.

As I said, this is Mara trying to safe face with fans, he's responsible for the mess as the owner and poorly handled the situation. But most fans won't see that, especially with a family like the Mara's.

When I said Eli said "FU" to their plan,  I was just saying what I think he felt and wanted to tell McAdoo. As far as we know he was very professional, and I think he's a classy guy for not wanting to pretend he's the starter.

My basic point is all the Giants fans celebrating the firings need to look deeper at their ownership and how this whole thing was mishandled at the top. And hold them accountable, instead of rejoicing over it. Mara probably should have fired McAdoo a few weeks ago and personally talked to Eli. Now the entire team looks dysfunctional for it.

21 hours ago, LordOpie said:

^ unfortunately, you can't fire the owner.

Denver doesn't even have an owner, why is why John Elway still has a job. Other than convincing Peyton Manning to play here, which was everything, he's done nothing. His draft picks have been way below average. And all the top free agents signed here, not because of Elway, but because of Peyton. Sorry Elway fans, time to clean house... they won't, cuz there's no owner and Joe Ellis doesn't have the power or desire.

Broncos still have an owner but he (Pat Bowlen) relinquished control to others (Ellis and Elway). If Ellis cannot remove Elway I'd say that was the owner's wish.

Bowlen hasn't sold the team yet, right? Saw some story about his son trying to sell his share.

16 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Pat Bowlen has become mentally impaired. Alzheimers. He hasn't run the team in years. There is a three party committee who run the team, but their only real job was supposed to give control to one of the Bowlen kids. I think they're delaying on purpose to keep power. Bowlen, sadly, is incapable of making the decision to remove anyone. I'm not sure the three person committee, which Elway is on, even has the power to fire him.

So, no, there is no "owner".

Technically Pat Bowlen is still the owner until ownership is transferred to somebody else. He may have relinquished control and not be a traditional owner but he still owns the team. You live in Denver and are a Broncos fan so I know you know the details, is your counter argument that the team is in a trust and has no real owner. If so you should say that ionstead of just repeating "there is no owner".

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/01/denver-broncos-team-ownership-roger-goodell/

In his absence, and until the team’s next owner is named, the team is in the hands of three trustees — team president/CEO Joe Ellis, general counsel/executive vice president Rich Slivka and Denver attorney Mary Kelly — with Ellis making the daily decisions. It is up to those three to select Bowlen’s successor.

AND

“They have an owner: It’s Pat Bowlen,” Goodell said. 

6 hours ago, LordOpie said:

congrats on winning the semantics argument.

for the purposes of this thread, "owner" means a single person who is capable of making true executive decisions. There is no single entity, like with NYG. And NYG fans can't "fire" their owner due to his decisions cuz he's actually the owner.

Point is... DEN is a mess with no true leadership. We're about to be the next cleveland browns.

If you want to continue the semantics argument, I'm not interested, but if you want to help a brother out, give me some advice on how to be a fan of a crappy team with your first hand experience.

How do CLE fans manage? I could use that advice.

Words have meanings, you cannot simply make up your own. Nobody else in this thread was defining owner that way. You could have saved a lot of back and forth by saying that before, or accepting my post where I said the owner isn't making decisions as understanding the situation. I may tend to nitpick stuff, but I don't think that's the case here.

As for how to manage being a fan of a crappy team, well first off you were a Bronco fan a couple years ago when they won a SB right? And proably a fan 20 years ago when they won a couple more? I'd wrap myself in those memories, especially the more recent one since a lot of those talented players are still on the roster. I'd enjoy the good 4 years straight of 10 wins (2012-15), and 5 straight division titles. But really, I'd simply realize that my team isn't really that bad, and has had a lot of success including championships while I was a fan. Not that I'd know about that as a fan of the Browns, since they've never won a SB or even went to one. I did get to "enjoy" the 3 AFCCG game losses to your Broncos with horseface in the 80s. But for the past 20 years my team is pathetic, and was first stolen away and restarted with some early limited success (winning seasons and a playoff game in 5 years, the last 15, one winning season). I was a season ticket holder at that time, and really POed.

Basically, as a Bronco fan you have it pretty good, maybe not right now but the past has been very good, and there is talent there to rebuild.

PS  I got the impression from articles I read that the NFL was ok with the prolonged future ownership limbo of the Broncos. Does seem odd though.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 3:37 PM, Gopher said:

McAdoo looked like a deer in the headlights all season.  Justified doesn't begin to explain his firing.  It was a guarantee.  

I agree 100% with this. He definitely looked in over his head. He doesn't deserve a second chance elsewhere as a head coach.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 0:32 PM, LordOpie said:

DEN is a mess with no true leadership. We're about to be the next cleveland browns.

Digressing a bit off thread topic here, but...

I hope you're wrong about the last part, Opie... What's weird is that executive leadership alone wouldn't explain their horrific underachieving this year, particularly on defense. Once you have a roster in place, it's up to the coaching staff to prepare the team and for the coaching staff and team to execute. The team has given up on Vance Joseph, plain and simple. They are certainly talented enough to be better than 3-9. Brock Osweiler is a chumpstain, but even he made the playoffs in Houston. So you can't put it all on poor QB play. Granted, the front office seems to have whiffed hard on Lynch (or they just don't have the coaching staff to develop the kid). And the front office wanted Joseph, so that's another strike in judgment against them... It's amazing the fall from grace after winning the SB just two years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...