[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NO v ATL Game thread

jamesplante11

8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

He was trying to call a time out. The referees were just letting the clock run. Maybe it is against the rules, but that was as ticky tack a call as the roughing the passer call that got the falcons the first touchdown. Payton lost that game though by calling the pass that got intercepted. With that amount of time left and that close to the goal line you've gotta ruin the ball. 

I get that, but I will give the refs the benefit of the doubt here. Had the play that expired been a normal running play: Ingram gets tackled, ball gets spotted, side judge stays on sidelines and has Payton right in his ear.  No issue.

Instead, Ingram coughs it up, there is a scrum for the ball, and all refs head towards the ball to un-pile people/confer with each other. So (1)  the side judge instinctively responds to the fumble/turnover so he is away from the sidelines, and thus (2) can't hear Payton.......thus when he spins around to head back to the sidelines, Payton is screaming in his face. He throws a flag. I have no problem with that.

While the Saints getting hit with a 15-yard penalty which ultimately ended the game, they did numerous things prior to weighed more heavily on this loss than I'd have a bigger problem....like not running the football prior to the INT, like botching the FG at the end of the 1st half...

Oh, and blaming any loss on injuries because of a short week? Lame, Drew. Short weeks have been in play since teams began playing on Thanksgiving. Now we have them every week instead of just one Thursday a season. And thats OK. These is no evidence that more injuries happen on TH than on SUN...people just like to use it as an excuse when someone does get hurt. Had the PIT-CIN game been on a Thursday night, would we be here blaming the fact it was being played on Thursday? Of course not.

In fact, when you play that TH game, you get the benefit of 10 days off...almost like a bye-week. This late in the season? That's a gift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, i_am_the_swammi said:

I get that, but I will give the refs the benefit of the doubt here. Had the play that expired been a normal running play: Ingram gets tackled, ball gets spotted, side judge stays on sidelines and has Payton right in his ear.  No issue.

Instead, Ingram coughs it up, there is a scrum for the ball, and all refs head towards the ball to un-pile people/confer with each other. So (1)  the side judge instinctively responds to the fumble/turnover so he is away from the sidelines, and thus (2) can't hear Payton.......thus when he spins around to head back to the sidelines, Payton is screaming in his face. He throws a flag. I have no problem with that.

While the Saints getting hit with a 15-yard penalty which ultimately ended the game, they did numerous things prior to weighed more heavily on this loss than I'd have a bigger problem....like not running the football prior to the INT, like botching the FG at the end of the 1st half...

Oh, and blaming any loss on injuries because of a short week? Lame, Drew. Short weeks have been in play since teams began playing on Thanksgiving. Now we have them every week instead of just one Thursday a season. And thats OK. These is no evidence that more injuries happen on TH than on SUN...people just like to use it as an excuse when someone does get hurt. Had the PIT-CIN game been on a Thursday night, would we be here blaming the fact it was being played on Thursday? Of course not.

In fact, when you play that TH game, you get the benefit of 10 days off...almost like a bye-week. This late in the season? That's a gift.

I think you meant Freeman, not Ingram, but yeah, I won't say that I disagree. I will say though that the Saints got penalized much more heavily for drive-killing or extending (for Falcons) plays. I will also say that the Saints had a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players during that game. Those factors definitely weighed heavily on the outcome of that game. Whether the officiating was just bad or the injuries a cause of the short week makes no real difference. The Saints had their opportunities and just didn't get it done one way or another.

1 hour ago, i_am_the_swammi said:

I strongly disagree with this statement because that doesn't negate the short rest before the game.  If anything, they need to give Thursday night games to teams coming off a bye week, that way it's approximately 10 days before and after the Thursday game. 

1 hour ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I also agree...however, as a neutral observer with no dog in the fight, I have to say that was some one-sided officiating.  Saints had no first downs by penalty...Falcons had NINE.

I know that as a fan I have my bias and my opinion would agree with you. Still, ultimately, the game came down to injuries, some bad play-calling & a poor decision by Drew.

That Bull**** roughing the passer call was brutal to the saints . Cost them a td and ate like 5 additional minutes off the clock . That call was huge

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Matty Ice. HA

This guy is a wreck of a QB. Pick machine. Don't understand why he has a nickname at all. Not to mention he wussed out on that play he slid down on instead of getting the first. Gets pushed down in the pocket and they call ruffing. What a joke.

Roughing call was horrible, but that's on the ref not Matt. The 2 picks were horrible, he seemed locked onto Julio and expecting him to knock the defender down to get the pass (both times defender was in position for pick before the pass). Or they're just bad passes.

His career int% is 2.3 (int per pass attempt). For comparison

Brady-1.8, Peyton-2.7, Aikman-3.0, Montana-2.6, Favre-3.3, Marino-3.0, Dak Prescott-1.6 :)

3 hours ago, whomper said:

That Bull**** roughing the passer call was brutal to the saints . Cost them a td and ate like 5 additional minutes off the clock . That call was huge

Yep that one was horrible, guy barely touched Ryan who fell over like a bowling pin.

The part with Payton running onto the field, swammi is right, the fumble and scrum was the issue. Maybe they need a change, use some tecnology, let the HC have a buzzer, they press that to call a TO or get officials attention for use of a challenge. If they're not paying attention and you need those it is surely infuriating.

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yep that one was horrible, guy barely touched Ryan who fell over like a bowling pin.

The part with Payton running onto the field, swammi is right, the fumble and scrum was the issue. Maybe they need a change, use some tecnology, let the HC have a buzzer, they press that to call a TO or get officials attention for use of a challenge. If they're not paying attention and you need those it is surely infuriating.

The thing is most coaches tell the refs ahead of time that they are going to call a time out immediately after the play. I've seen Payton do it many times before when miced up. There is no excuse for the ref to not be paying attention and to miss the timeout regardless of the possible turnover. That should be inexcusable in that situation. 

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

The thing is most coaches tell the refs ahead of time that they are going to call a time out immediately after the play. I've seen Payton do it many times before when miced up. There is no excuse for the ref to not be paying attention and to miss the timeout regardless of the possible turnover. That should be inexcusable in that situation.

Lots of things are inexcusable when you lose critical games, but these guys are human and mistakes happen. If it was a critical timeout Payton should have told him before, maybe he did and the guy still goofed. It may not have even mattered, ATL still hd 3rd down to convert, and only about a minute left, maybe 1:15 if clock stopped right away.   The huge mistake was the Brees pick, you initially mentioned it being a bad call by Payton and later metioned Brees making a bad pass. Also the botched FG before the half.

Officiating was one sided at times, horrible rouging call at one point. Payton was hot and made a mistake because of all that. I was pulling for the Saints myself.

7 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I think you meant Freeman, not Ingram, but yeah, I won't say that I disagree. I will say though that the Saints got penalized much more heavily for drive-killing or extending (for Falcons) plays. I will also say that the Saints had a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players during that game. Those factors definitely weighed heavily on the outcome of that game. Whether the officiating was just bad or the injuries a cause of the short week makes no real difference. The Saints had their opportunities and just didn't get it done one way or another.

Michael Thomas poked in the eye.

Alvin Kamara knocked out on a helmet to helmet shot.

Ingram takes a helmet in the back.

Falcons defense...playing hard or playing dirty?

It did come down to Brees making a very unusually bad decision with the football.

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Roughing call was horrible, but that's on the ref not Matt. The 2 picks were horrible, he seemed locked onto Julio and expecting him to knock the defender down to get the pass (both times defender was in position for pick before the pass). Or they're just bad passes.

His career int% is 2.3 (int per pass attempt). For comparison

Brady-1.8, Peyton-2.7, Aikman-3.0, Montana-2.6, Favre-3.3, Marino-3.0, Dak Prescott-1.6 :)

Yes, and it wouldn't be so bad, but man he throws picks with points on the board. In the redzone no less. For a veteran to make those kinds of mistakes in the redzone must chap the entire team's arse. No excuse for two of those picks at all and the one  in the endzone was bush league horrid.

5 hours ago, kdko said:

I thought bad officiating only happens with the Cowboys..

Actually, that brings me to another observation. The Refs know the Cowboys need the Falcons, Seahawks or the Panthers to lose so we can make the playoffs. That call to spare 3 points on the defense gave Atlanta 3 points. So the conspiracy is still in tacked. Helping the Falcons get by the Saints knowing they are in the playoffs already by giving them a helping hand for 3 points which was the winning margin by the way. See, everyone's against us. :unsure:

I'm all for protecting our star QB's from unnecessary punishment but NO way was that call fair to the defense. Horrible call. They have gone way too far with the ruffing call especially on QBs.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Actually, that brings me to another observation. The Refs know the Cowboys need the Falcons, Seahawks or the Panthers to lose so we can make the playoffs. That call to spare 3 points on the defense gave Atlanta 3 points. So the conspiracy is still in tacked. Helping the Falcons get by the Saints knowing they are in the playoffs already by giving them a helping hand for 3 points which was the winning margin by the way. See, everyone's against us. :unsure:

:clap::clap:

17 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Michael Thomas poked in the eye.

Alvin Kamara knocked out on a helmet to helmet shot.

Ingram takes a helmet in the back.

Falcons defense...playing hard or playing dirty?

It did come down to Brees making a very unusually bad decision with the football.

Players get poked in the eye frequently, just happens as hands move towards them, not dirty play. The hit on Kamara not a dirty play, don't recall the hit on Ingram. Seems to be a lot of injuries lately, probably lingering affects of the long season. Guys are leaving the field under assistance or even on a cart, 6-8-10 per game the last 2 weeks.

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Players get poked in the eye frequently, just happens as hands move towards them, not dirty play. The hit on Kamara not a dirty play, don't recall the hit on Ingram. Seems to be a lot of injuries lately, probably lingering affects of the long season. Guys are leaving the field under assistance or even on a cart, 6-8-10 per game the last 2 weeks.

The play on Michael Thomas should have been at the very least an illegal hands to the face, but could have been just as easily called a personal foul since it turned his head when the defender grabbed the side of the opening in his face mask. What really amazes me is the fact that not a single penalty was called on Atlanta's defense.

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

The play on Michael Thomas should have been at the very least an illegal hands to the face, but could have been just as easily called a personal foul since it turned his head when the defender grabbed the side of the opening in his face mask. What really amazes me is the fact that not a single penalty was called on Atlanta's defense.

Yep, further proof the refs are trying to keep Dallas out of the playoffs.:nono:

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

if they delayed disclosure, then they knew it was questionable, at best. if they thought it was all good, they wouldn't have done anything different. NFL is getting dumber by the day

I always have a hard time believing conspiracy theories, especially with referees. I think that more times than not it's just bad officiating that fuels that thought or just people looking for a reason their team lost other than poor play. I know that often refs will favor a player and give them calls where other players wouldn't get the same call, but to say there's some coordinated conspiracy is just really too far-fetched to me. I will say though, the disparity in calls (none on the Falcons D, 9 against the Saints for first downs), several obvious non-calls & a couple questionable ones along with things like the Falcon ref being subbed in, the league sure doesn't do themselves any favors in quieting this kind of talk.

• Like 1