BeeR

lmao @ PIT

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

:lol:  This is like the 3rd time you've referenced my comment in a somewhat disparaging tone, so it obviously struck an unintentional chord.  Nowhere did I say that it was a known incompletion the "second it happened" or "right away."   That is your loose misinterpretation you're repeatedly banging away on (which is a bit humorous given that this post is also criticizing others for sensational claims and lack of discourse).  When they showed the replay a couple times, it was abundantly clear to me, the officials were going to reverse the call. Same thing as the Dez incompletion in the playoffs a couple years ago; I knew it was to be overturned after the 2nd or 3rd replay.  Is the rule is iffy?  Sure.  But the NFL is remarkably consistent on how they call that.

 

My buddy texted me before the ruling for the James play during the official review:  "Incomplete - Calvin Johnson rule. If they give him this TD it's ridiculous."  The look on James's face during the review period also told the story.  I sincerely think that the majority of knowledgeable fans, and people familiar with the rule; knew that catch was likely going to be overturned. Sorry, for the smattering of hyperbole; but I don't think I laid it on near as much as you think.  :)

Nothing I said was directed at you individually.  You're not the only person to suggest as much, but I've certainly heard more people question the outcome than not.  Does the sentiment that "everybody should have known" strike a chord, as you put it?  Not personally.  I just think it's a silly thing to say, all things considered.  If it hadn't been overturned, I doubt those same people (outside of NE fans) would be crying foul.  Not talking about you, but in general. 

 

And, no, the officials aren't that consistent, in my opinion.  The burden of proof to overturn a call is supposed to be on the side that was not called, not the other way around.  In other words, it's supposed to be 100% conclusive, not just "well, maybe he wouldn't have held on to the ball had it not grazed the ground, but we don't know for sure."   It's as if the need for anything to be conclusive doesn't exist when talking about TD catches.  So, no we have three rules that have a hard time co-existing.... The plane rule, the completion of a TD catch rule, and the rule that overturning something must be clear.  :blink:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

I'm not implying that anyone who thinks the call reversal was wrong/bad is automatically a patriot hater.....but theres one guy in here who clearly didn't even understand the difference between a runner and someone who has yet to complete a catch.....then goes to post a meme implying that its impossible to beat the patriots because the game is rigged in their favor....its just too funny to me....the hate is real

 

The hate is definitely there, and maybe if it were directed at my team I might notice, but I usually just ignore such silly posts, either attempts at humor or serious (plenty of NFL fans today claiming the fix is in for the Pats and they're a shoe in to repeat as SB champs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

 

It was a joke man....calm down. I'm a Browns fan living in NE. I enjoy poking and prodding at my friends that are Pats fans and that ran across my news feed.

 

Its also laughable that you don't think I understand the difference between a runner and someone who hasn't completed a catch. I'm well aware of the difference, maybe I wasn't clear when I originally posted, I was more questioning the rule of "break the plane" and "complete the catch co-existence.

 

I would like to know how the refs in the Carolina overturned and incomplete pass to Byrd calling it a TD when he was bobbling the ball while sitting with a cheek out of bounds

 

Edit: you should also clarify that your opinion is biased being a Patriots fan and all

i dont have to clarify that im a patriots fan....those who have been here already know who my team is...and if you dont its implied in my screen name...whereas someone who loathes the patriots is able to hide it a little easier

 

thats great that you want to play it off as a joke and that you "poke and prod" with your friends...but we arent you friends or coworkers

 

for a little perspective let me tell you....im from and have lived in new england my entire life...the town i grew up on the southern RI/CT border is more than 50 percent fans of other teams for people born before, say, 1998....because when i was growing up it wasnt fun or cool to be a pats fan nor was it prior to my existence

 

after the seahawks superbowl a group of friends i was at a SB party with decided to go out for a few rounds and shots at our favorite local bar...which happened to be a stonesthrow from the residence we watched the game at.....we walk in and we know the bartender...hes a giants fan.....some of our friends wanted to play a few songs on the ole jukebox...and he turned it off.....later i heard him conversing with another friend of mine....after brady put on one of the greatest quarters in superbowl history he had the nerve to tell my friend "brady throws the ball 4 yards every time"....this dude wasnt joking around or trying to have fun...he was genuinely bitter and trying to ruin our good time

 

so forgive me if i cant just laugh at you trying to have some fun with us....ive been around way too many sad and bitter football fans who cant stand to my favorite team have success....and thats right here at home in the new england area.....ive been around way too many people who cant acknowledge our success without throwing in some slight about how its a "system" and brady only throws the ball 8 feet....or without throwing some cheat barb.....or throwing some "but" in there

 

i get it man...if i wasnt a patriot fan my entire life i would probably hate them too....but some of us have been down with them since day 1 and were pretty proud of what theyve accomplished and how they operate, in general, for the most part.......theres way too much "poking and prodding" going on online and in person for me to just dismiss it as jokes.....you can pretend you are just trying to have a laugh but i dont usually buy that line from many people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

@forever in debt to mo lewis...Duly noted, seriously tho don’t take it the wrong way, I just enjoy having a good time. I enjoy watching Browns games, and I enjoy great football outside of that. Close games are the fun ones

its all good man...that was a wild one yesterday for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching the Titans game so I didn't see the play live. However, this is quite conclusive in my opinion. The ball pops out of his grip as he hits the ground, and the ball is clearly touching the ground. Incomplete pass. You can hear the pain in Romo's voice as he realizes it.

 

As for the rule itself, personally I like it. There is a clear definition of what constitutes a catch. A lot of people complain that the rule is terrible and needs to be changed, but I have yet to hear a suggestion that would actually improve the rule, as every suggestion I've heard would either add more subjectivity to it (e.g. passing the "eye test") or result in about a dozen more fumbles every game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TitansFan said:

I was watching the Titans game so I didn't see the play live. However, this is quite conclusive in my opinion. The ball pops out of his grip as he hits the ground, and the ball is clearly touching the ground. Incomplete pass. You can hear the pain in Romo's voice as he realizes it.

 

As for the rule itself, personally I like it. There is a clear definition of what constitutes a catch. A lot of people complain that the rule is terrible and needs to be changed, but I have yet to hear a suggestion that would actually improve the rule, as every suggestion I've heard would either add more subjectivity to it (e.g. passing the "eye test") or result in about a dozen more fumbles every game.

I dunno man. It looks like his fingers are under the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TitansFan said:

I was watching the Titans game so I didn't see the play live. However, this is quite conclusive in my opinion. The ball pops out of his grip as he hits the ground, and the ball is clearly touching the ground. Incomplete pass. You can hear the pain in Romo's voice as he realizes it.

 

As for the rule itself, personally I like it. There is a clear definition of what constitutes a catch. A lot of people complain that the rule is terrible and needs to be changed, but I have yet to hear a suggestion that would actually improve the rule, as every suggestion I've heard would either add more subjectivity to it (e.g. passing the "eye test") or result in about a dozen more fumbles every game.

 

Could you please explain how this is a catch then

 

https://nesn.com/2017/12/watch-panthers-damiere-byrd-score-td-on-controversial-butt-catch/

 

called incomplete...then overturned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

I dunno man. It looks like his fingers are under the ball.

Seems pretty clear to me that ball hit the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jackass said:

Seems pretty clear to me that ball hit the ground.

You can infer that all you want, but no camera angle actually shows the ball in contact with the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BA Baracus said:

You can infer that all you want, but no camera angle actually shows the ball in contact with the ground.

Well I don't think it's an inference.  It's pretty clear to me from the main camera angle that the ball hits the ground.  Honestly I think only a small percentage of people are arguing that.  But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

 

Could you please explain how this is a catch then

 

https://nesn.com/2017/12/watch-panthers-damiere-byrd-score-td-on-controversial-butt-catch/

 

called incomplete...then overturned

 

In that case there was no question he caught the ball and maintained control going to the ground, the only issue is whether or not he was out of bounds. Completely different scenario. Though if you want my opinion on it, I think the call should've stood had they called it either way originally. I wouldn't consider that irrefutable evidence to overturn it, but obviously they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TitansFan said:

 

In that case there was no question he caught the ball and maintained control going to the ground, the only issue is whether or not he was out of bounds. Completely different scenario. Though if you want my opinion on it, I think the call should've stood had they called it either way originally. I wouldn't consider that irrefutable evidence to overturn it, but obviously they did.

 

Replay is killing the NFL and possibly MLB, the refs make good money. Let them make the calls  it’s  a game of human nature 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised it took Romo and Nantz so long to see his hand slip off the ball. They kept saying they didn’t understand what was taking so long with the review, I noticed it the first time they showed the replay and figured they would overturn it. I also think the refs have been very consistent on calls like this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesplante11 said:

 

Replay is killing the NFL and possibly MLB, the refs make good money. Let them make the calls  it’s  a game of human nature 

It's really hard to argue against this from the NFL perspective. Although - and it's off topic - all the defensive holding and PI calls are way worse IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

I was surprised it took Romo and Nantz so long to see his hand slip off the ball. They kept saying they didn’t understand what was taking so long with the review, I noticed it the first time they showed the replay and figured they would overturn it. I also think the refs have been very consistent on calls like this one.

 

I'm convinced some broadcast guys just don't pay much attention, or get excited OMG TD and don't watch what happens after. I've seen plenty of cases where they're saying something that doesn't match what I just saw on TV, like they're watching something different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

I'm convinced some broadcast guys just don't pay much attention, or get excited OMG TD and don't watch what happens after. I've seen plenty of cases where they're saying something that doesn't match what I just saw on TV, like they're watching something different.

they sound like my wife, ex-wife, well, pretty much all women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 6:47 PM, BA Baracus said:

You can infer that all you want, but no camera angle actually shows the ball in contact with the ground.

 

I just found this screenshot of the play which is pretty clear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After putting this gong show behind me i raise one final question.. clock dont clock, catch no catch, as unprepared as tomlin/ haley were in that momemt i propose this as a die hard life long fan...  Ben is a 2 time sb champ and 3 time afc champ, 15 year vet , how many 2 min drills and hurry ups has he run ? Why does he need the coach telling him which play to run , if any play at all.. i hate that he just didnt take ownership in that moment and after the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

After putting this gong show behind me i raise one final question.. clock dont clock, catch no catch, as unprepared as tomlin/ haley were in that momemt i propose this as a die hard life long fan...  Ben is a 2 time sb champ and 3 time afc champ, 15 year vet , how many 2 min drills and hurry ups has he run ? Why does he need the coach telling him which play to run , if any play at all.. i hate that he just didnt take ownership in that moment and after the game. 

 

He should've thrown it thru the uprights and said “oops it slipped”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-films-shows-unprepared-steelers-180952845.html

 

was either incomplete or a TD...tomlin tried selling people on officials telling him that they could place it on 1 and run the clock.....just a general lack of game/clock management......the patriots aren't infallible in clock management/game management situations....but they are generally better than most teams most of the time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-films-shows-unprepared-steelers-180952845.html

 

was either incomplete or a TD...tomlin tried selling people on officials telling him that they could place it on 1 and run the clock.....just a general lack of game/clock management......the patriots aren't infallible in clock management/game management situations....but they are generally better than most teams most of the time

 

not game clock related but one thing I don't think I've EVER witnessed  was Brady getting a delay of game penalty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 3:59 PM, Gourdeau said:

 

not game clock related but one thing I don't think I've EVER witnessed  was Brady getting a delay of game penalty. 

He's actually got quite a few, 3 in one game 2009 with Jets. But only one in the last 3 years.

Tom Brady penalty history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.