[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody else on the verge of quitting?

MnLefty

3 finals and 1 semi this weekend

got bounced in two others last weekend. one by a guy who had his high score for the year last week, this week he came right back to normal and I'm the league's high scorer...happens

Had some bad luck this past week or two with injuries and bad luck in the playoffs but c'est la vie.  I'm still having fun.  I just don't take the losses as hard these days as when you're in 9 leagues they're inevitable.  Take a few months off and see how you feel.  Take a year off.  It's just a game.  

I don't think I will ever let NFL or fantasy football go. I love the game way too much. I have learned over the last 25 years how to control the emotional ride. Seahawk losses hurt more now than ffb losses. I have also learned to even out the highs and lows, which helps a ton. Taking it all in stride is the key. This sport is for entertainment, not for emotional stress. I did limit my leagues down to 2, which has also helped quite a bit. Fantasy football is a stress relief for me, not a stress inducer anymore. 

• Like 1

i feel your pain man...i take fantasy way too seriously myself and get seriously bummed out after losses.......the two weeks prior to this one i was pissed away a chance at 1st and the over 5k in prize money that comes with it.....i had the points on my team just not the right guys in my lineup.....and i have several guys on my bench that would have gotten me the double W both weeks(we dont do playoffs)....and i blew it......its frustrating and angers me....but i wont ever stop lol

If fantasy football is so important that it hurts you emotionally when things go bad, then fantasy football is so important that you won't be able to quit it.  It's like women.  After a breakup, you might swear off getting into another relationship.  But inevitably you're back in the saddle again.  Take a year off from fantasy football as an experiment.  Play some daily fantasy.  You'll be back after a year raring to go.

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

If fantasy football is so important that it hurts you emotionally when things go bad, then fantasy football is so important that you won't be able to quit it.  It's like women.  After a breakup, you might swear off getting into another relationship.  But inevitably you're back in the saddle again.  Take a year off from fantasy football as an experiment.  Play some daily fantasy.  You'll be back after a year raring to go.

I took a year off in 2015. It was a great decision. I was willing to walk away forever, but open to coming back too. It gave me some clarity and perspective, and I now don't let it have such an emotional strangehold on me. It was liberating to take that year off, and you sound like I did at the time I made the decision. I think you'll be glad you did.

On 12/18/2017 at 4:36 AM, frenzal rhomb said:

I am done after about 25 years.  every year same thing.  Most of the league finishes 8-6 to 6-8 because all the same info is spoon fed to everyone so it really goes from 75 percent luck to 90 percent luck.  Some shady/stupid trades also this year in my league was the last straw.  I'm done.

No offense meant to anyone here, the site owners in particular, but this is the reason I stopped paying attention to other people’s rankings years ago.  All I really need is an ADP list for rough reference of draft risk, and I draft players I like.  Since i started this approach i have been in the money every year (talking local redraft only, contract dynasty is another animal).

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

this.

also, someone crunched the numbers a few years back and found that a large enough data size of ADP (like real drafts from MFL or even mocks at FFCalculator) consistently produced success, even as good as or better than the best professional rankings.

I take that data and apply my opinion on who is undervalued, who faces too much risk, and also... i use info on who is trending high, who is creating a furious emotional buzz among FFers and if I have that guy, I'll trade him off. I know it simply sounds like i'm selling high, but it's more than that.

sorry all, but fantasy football isn't about football any more. It's about gathering and crunching the data, buying and selling at value, risk management... it hasn't been about football knowledge for years. I no longer research college players, even a little.

I don't think fantasy success has ever been about the "game." I started playing fantasy back in '97 with basketball and a website called "smallworld hoops." I clearly had more knowledge than one of my suite mates, but he was a business major and used that mentality to buy and trade players like he was investing in the stock market. By the end of the season he destroyed us all with his "wall street" approach to the game. He was never emotionally attached to a player, he just ran his team like a GM. 

Its finding that balance. Im tempted to quit my local league that Ive commished for a decade because I do feel I care too much about the out come and don't enjoy just watching the NFL, too involved in worrying about my players scoring or my opponents not scoring. Also doesnt help being in the UK because I end up spending half the night awake following SNF and MNF if I have players going.

Its not even a $$ money league, just lots of bragging rights and my record has been garbage (one playoff appearance in 10 years and lots of missing the playoffs by one win or a tiebreaker). 

This weekend actually turned out great as I was out of the playoffs in that league but had 3 other semi finals which I checked on periodically. So I could just enjoy the NFL for what it is and not be too fussed if I won or lost.

Suck it up boys....there's nothing like the pain of a heartbreaking loss to hang over your head for eight months - it makes us middle aged nuclear family men feel ALIVE again!!!

I play in four leagues each year (one online, three local).  Made the title game in two of them including my high stakes league with 3 K on the line.  Should be thrilled right?   Not even close.  All I can think of is the effer Devonta Freeman busting that 30 yd TD last night to beat me by three lousy points and knock me out of my my dinkiest pot playoff league. 

Like I said, its those heart breakers that make you feel alive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Its finding that balance. Im tempted to quit my local league that Ive commished for a decade because I do feel I care too much about the out come and don't enjoy just watching the NFL, too involved in worrying about my players scoring or my opponents not scoring. Also doesnt help being in the UK because I end up spending half the night awake following SNF and MNF if I have players going.

Its not even a $$ money league, just lots of bragging rights and my record has been garbage (one playoff appearance in 10 years and lots of missing the playoffs by one win or a tiebreaker). 

This weekend actually turned out great as I was out of the playoffs in that league but had 3 other semi finals which I checked on periodically. So I could just enjoy the NFL for what it is and not be too fussed if I won or lost.

Try watching an NFL game with a. no rooting interest in your hometeam or b. nothing on the line. 

Believe me when I say its nowhere near the enjoyable experience you remember

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, malta69 said:

Try watching an NFL game with a. no rooting interest in your hometeam or b. nothing on the line. 

I really enjoyed Steelers and Pats with no rooting interest. I watch tons of college games without caring who wins and it's great. 

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

58 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

interesting.

I think at one point, before the easy access to info, it was about the game?

I agree. 

I think enjoying vs success are the different points here.  At one point, it was fun and different, but eventually competitive nature took over and we only cared about winning. 

2 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Also doesnt help being in the UK because I end up spending half the night awake following SNF and MNF if I have players going.

I've been in Madagascar and Ethiopia for this entire season.  I've stayed up most Sunday nights watching football all night.  It's hard to go to bed when games are going on.

15 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

watch out for the plague

It was big news when I was in Madagascar.  Schools were shut down and people were wearing surgical masks in the street in the capital.  As soon as I went to Ethiopia, they got the plague, too.  The plague is following me.  I just arrived in Bangkok.  I don't think it'll follow me here.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:41 PM, DMD said:

It is still football. I still love it even if this year was one of my personal worst from relying too heavily on certain players that ended up injured. This year stings but by next summer it will be exciting again.

See what's funny about this is that I followed your advice and built an absolute raging monster of a team. Then I got Gurley'ed.

:kicksrock:

6 hours ago, malta69 said:

I disagree with this. I have a passion for football regardless of ff. Come playoffs, I am watching every game. Regular season, I will watch whatever is on. College football is similar as well. Each to their own of course...

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I've been in Madagascar and Ethiopia for this entire season.  I've stayed up most Sunday nights watching football all night.  It's hard to go to bed when games are going on.

I tend to fall asleep fine on a Sunday/Monday but will wake up usually sometime during the 2nd quarter and then Im awake until the game is over. Does tire me out for work. 

• Like 1

Explain to me how Julio get 8 pts by halftime and then nothing the rest of the game.........  Whatever

Is it too much to ask JuJu to stop tripping over himself and just get in the endzone............apparently

Was it too much to ask Julio to actually show up........another yes apparently

Sigh

14 hours ago, heehawks said:

I disagree with this. I have a passion for football regardless of ff. Come playoffs, I am watching every game. Regular season, I will watch whatever is on. College football is similar as well. Each to their own of course...

That's how I am with the NFL, though I have been skipping large portions of many Browns games, and also find if a game is a blowout I'm more inclined to turn it off. Don't watch college football much at all.

On 12/19/2017 at 10:29 PM, heehawks said:

Same here. My problem is that I can become enraged at a game even with no fantasy investment in it.

i've seen many of my buddies over the years quit our fantasy pool out of frustration.

bottom line is its all on you.  its just a pool.  its just football.  i still get frustrated and take it too seriously but i can let it go within a day.

it wouldn't be fun if it didn't matter to you, but it also is inconsequential.  its just for fun and meaningless. 

compare it to gambling.  if you go in thinking you'll beat the house you're screwed from the start.