[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am so sick of NFL catch rules...

dfv87

OK not a fan of Pit or Raperburger but when is the NFL gonna fix this surviving the ground contact BS? A guy has the ball has legal contact in the field of play stretches for the goal and then we have him slam into the ground... now if he would NOT of had to change directions and make a play for the goal line then I could maybe see the relevance of the rule (alah Dez B a few years ago... another guy who is not in my favs, but got screwed) but there is so much crap at the goal line already. If a runner jumps and sticks the ball out then gets hit just as he crosses the line its a touchdown not a fumble but in the case of a catch you add additional requirements in that he must meet the ground contact. Just seems like lawyers are ruining the game and this is getting stupid.

Now the interpretation of the rule as it stands was correct but the whole thing is stupid and needs to be addressed. Where is the common sense?

17 minutes ago, dfv87 said:

OK not a fan of Pit or Raperburger but when is the NFL gonna fix this surviving the ground contact BS? A guy has the ball has legal contact in the field of play stretches for the goal and then we have him slam into the ground... now if he would NOT of had to change directions and make a play for the goal line then I could maybe see the relevance of the rule (alah Dez B a few years ago... another guy who is not in my favs, but got screwed) but there is so much crap at the goal line already. If a runner jumps and sticks the ball out then gets hit just as he crosses the line its a touchdown not a fumble but in the case of a catch you add additional requirements in that he must meet the ground contact. Just seems like lawyers are ruining the game and this is getting stupid.

Now the interpretation of the rule as it stands was correct but the whole thing is stupid and needs to be addressed. Where is the common sense?

Your asking for common sense from an organization that hands out suspensions when their lead investigator advises them not to...

Just also going to point out that common sense implies they would of fixed the rule(s) years ago if they intended to address it...we keep calling it the Calvin Johnson rule and he hasn't played in some time now. 

Nothing but madmen and sycophants running today's NFL. 

• Like 2

I agree but it seems they utilize this rule more and more... they take the stance that a receiver can fumble the ball if he has possession and 2 feet down and makes  a "football move"... Like reaching for end zone??? or change of direction??? or avoiding contact??? hmmm when does it apply and when does it not? the rule is too vague as to when it applies so they apply it whenever they want, that is the issue.

It doesn’t pass the eye test of what a catch should be. According to scientific calculations, a receiver must keep the ball from moving out of his hands while hitting the ground. The ground can’t cause a fumble but it could cause a non-catch. We both know that it is perfectly fine for an offensive lineman to grab a defender and keep him from tackling a runner as he is running past him if the ref “doesn’t see it.” 

Maybe the the league should have fans calling into the games like in golf when they can report an illegal score card. Each time a fan calls in, the play would be reviewed. Or maybe they should have fans calling a 900 number. Press 1 for catch or press 2 for not a catch. There are so many ways to fix what is wrong with the league if they really wanted to. Or press three if you think the ref really deserves a kick in the groin right now.

Edited by MikesVikes

I thought the Seferian-Jenkins bobble was even worse than the Jesse James play in terms of how the current rules don’t work. Not only does common sense get thrown out, but game flow grinds to a halt while we wait and wait for the official to make a ruling that follows the rules but makes us scratch our heads at the same time.

If they don’t fix this “catch process” garbage, they ought to do away with the mandatory review on every turnover and scoring play. Officials are letting everything go and not making a decision now because they know a review is coming. I say give two coaches challenges per half. Let the coaches decide when it’s worth the risk of losing a challenge and keep the game moving otherwise. Either that or tighten up the review process so it doesn’t take ten years.

• Like 1