[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL draft 2018

BeeR

If Darnold doesn't come out is Rosen really the choice, I hear he has character issues-?  I'd love Barkley in Coltland, tho I know they have numerous needs...and NY might beat them to it, think that O healthy with Barkley at RB, yikes

18 hours ago, BeeR said:

If Darnold doesn't come out is Rosen really the choice, I hear he has character issues-?  I'd love Barkley in Coltland, tho I know they have numerous needs...and NY might beat them to it, think that O healthy with Barkley at RB, yikes

With what line to run behind?

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

that's letting your ego get in the way of success.

I'm not saying there's a Dan Marino in this draft, but he was the 6th QB taken at the end of the 1st round. Since he was a first ballot HoF, you can't really say that Elway or Kelly were that much better than him even tho they had more success. Since there are too many variables, why not play value and odds.

If you're going to relate FF, since I stopped trying to be clever and I put my ego aside, I have been winning consistently. Of the top 4-6 QB prospects in this class, is there one or two that realy truly stand out from the others?

The thing is - they can guarantee they get a QB with the 1st/4th pick, they cannot guarantee they can trade up from the second round ahead of anyone to get the last one on the board. Other teams may offer more for the same pick or move ahead of them. It could cost the second plus a future first depending on how high the final QB is sitting at. No ego involved, it's just not good odds or economics. They already control the draft board right now.

23 hours ago, kdko said:

Cleveland should just draft 2 QB's instead of trying to guess the right one :lol:

Which 2? What if they are both busts?  Heck some are labeling Myles Garrett a bust because he could't stay healthy, and he was the consensus #1 pick.  Is there a consensus this year?

On 1/1/2018 at 2:51 PM, kdko said:

With what line to run behind?

That's what FAs are for.  And high 2d round picks.  I'll take Barkley and whatever they can get that way than some Mongo OL with the 3d pick and whoever they might get at RB later (Guice etc). Barkley has the ability to be special like no OL in the draft does and would be more of a difference maker than they would.  Easily.  Ditto for DE in case someone is about to bring up Chubb.

i don't follow college nor prospects, tho I watch the draft... I heard that there are 5-6 highly rated QB prospects this year? Is that true?

No.  There are basically 2 considered really top picks in Darnold and Rosen, and Darnold might not come out, and neither is really consider a Luck-type sure thing.  Allen is considered very boom/bust and Mayfield's size (barely 6') scares many teams. 

Yeah have to wonder how much damage all those sacks have really done, if not physically, mentally.  I guess I shouldn't kick if they take a OL with that top pick but I really think Barkley (if he even falls) is the move.  Gore has done well to hang on this long but he's barely passable now if that and Mack isn't more than a backup type.

Rashaad Penny.  He's going to be the best RB of the 2018 draft class.  Draft him liberally wherever you can in the late rounds, reach a little bit if he lands in a very favorable situation.  He will be the lead dog somewhere.  I wasn't wrong about Kamara before the draft this year!

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Listening to sports talk, it sounds like Saquon Barkley might be the safest pick in this draft? He might be a once a decade special RB. If so...

if you're CLE, do you take Barkley at 1.01 and whichever QB you really like remaining at 1.04? What are the odds that IND takes a QB or trades down? What are the odds that IND does NOT draft Saquon if he's available?

I wouldn't mind them drafting Barkley at 1.01 and Fitzpatrick at 1.04. Then Grab Rudolph in the 2nd, Mike White in the 4th

edit: My gut feeling tells me Barkley doesn't make it to 4, and I would also like to see a vet QB added in FA or via trade

Edited by jamesplante11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

I wouldn't mind them drafting Barkley at 1.01 and Fitzpatrick at 1.04. Then Grab Rudolph in the 2nd, Mike White in the 4th

edit: My gut feeling tells me Barkley doesn't make it to 4, and I would also like to see a vet QB added in FA or via trade

Luckily FA signing will come before the draft, so we should know what kind of vet QB they got, are they a short term bridge or more long term franchise starter. That will impact what they do at QB in the draft, I still think they take one with the top 2 picks.

I'd be happy with Barkley at 1.01 as well, since none of the QBs are really standouts over each other. Dn't know much about Fitzpatrick, but isn't 1.4 very high for a DB, no matter how good they look?

Of course last year Myles Garrett was the safe pick, the consensus #1 and many Browns fans are calling him a bust, not enough of an impact player, another wasted high draft pick (I think most of them are nuts and overly judgemental).

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Luckily FA signing will come before the draft, so we should know what kind of vet QB they got, are they a short term bridge or more long term franchise starter. That will impact what they do at QB in the draft, I still think they take one with the top 2 picks.

I'd be happy with Barkley at 1.01 as well, since none of the QBs are really standouts over each other. Dn't know much about Fitzpatrick, but isn't 1.4 very high for a DB, no matter how good they look?

Of course last year Myles Garrett was the safe pick, the consensus #1 and many Browns fans are calling him a bust, not enough of an impact player, another wasted high draft pick (I think most of them are nuts and overly judgemental).

Fitzpatrick is getting ringing endorsements from scouts everywhere and some are even calling him the best player in the entire draft. One AFC scout said “He is just as talented as Jamal Adams, and he is more versatile”

5 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Listening to sports talk, it sounds like Saquon Barkley might be the safest pick in this draft? He might be a once a decade special RB. If so...

if you're CLE, do you take Barkley at 1.01 and whichever QB you really like remaining at 1.04? What are the odds that IND takes a QB or trades down? What are the odds that IND does NOT draft Saquon if he's available?

Colts are rumored to be all in for Chubb, even if Barkley is there.  

1 hour ago, Shorttynaz said:

Colts are rumored to be all in for Chubb, even if Barkley is there.  

That figures :rolleyes:  Chubb is good, but he's no Myles Garrett type of talent.  Not near the diff maker Barkley is.  But if they can't trade down and Barkley is (as expected) gone, Chubb is probably the best pick.  Fitz is a sweet alternate choice and I know they need to try and (for the first time in forever) build a legit D.  I'm just sick of half-ass RBs and Barkley is, at least on paper, Peterson-level good, if not better.

But if he's there and the Colts pass on him I will personally drive to Indy to beat the living shat out of Ballard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LordOpie said:

but why?

There is a game changing RB and four really good QBs. Why not take whichever QB is left at #4? You know there will be at least two to choose from

I think the player comps are funny. I’ve heard the AP comp, NFL.com has gotten a little carried away, or they are brilliant one of the two. 

Barkley- Barry Sanders

Chubb- Chris Long

Fitzpatrick- Budda Baker

Darnold- Andrew Luck

Allen- Jake Locker

Rosen- Trent Green

If comps were real, give me Barry Sanders 2.0 at 1.01

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

those QBs are some extreme comparisons, unless they think Darnold's career will also end in injury early. What about Mayfield?

yeah, barry sanders is a no brainer.

Mayfield they have comped at Doug Flutie

Here's a link to the draft profiles and grades

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LordOpie said:

but why?

There is a game changing RB and four really good QBs. Why not take whichever QB is left at #4? You know there will be at least two to choose from

Not sure what source loaf has saying it will be a QB at 1.01, I do keep hearing fans say WE MUST TAKE A QB #1, most say "because we keep passing on them and we need one", not very rational. Its not that different from fantasy drafts, what would they prefer Barkley their chose of at least 2 of the top 4 QBs or their top choice at QB and ??? at 1.04. (Not sure what they'd do at #4, sure Barkley if he is there.)

Is there a QB the Browns covet? Do they covet Barkley?

As I said before, which FA QB they get could impact their decisions.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure what source loaf has saying it will be a QB at 1.01, I do keep hearing fans say WE MUST TAKE A QB #1, most say "because we keep passing on them and we need one", not very rational. Its not that different from fantasy drafts, what would they prefer Barkley their chose of at least 2 of the top 4 QBs or their top choice at QB and ??? at 1.04. (Not sure what they'd do at #4, sure Barkley if he is there.)

Is there a QB the Browns covet? Do they covet Barkley?

As I said before, which FA QB they get could impact their decisions.

If they covet Mayfield as much as the media is trying to portray they should take Barkley at 1 and another top flight talent at 4 like Fitzpatrick or Daveport then trade back into the first round and draft Mayfield.....then we can draw more comparisons to Manziel

Regardless the answer could be to draft a QB late 1st early 2nd, his name is Mason Rudolph 

Edited by jamesplante11