[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gruden the new Raiders coach

keggerz

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

Still speculation. We've all heard that. At this point, the only question is whether they'll be punished for violating Rooney rule

Not speculation. I got it from someone with direct knowledge about the signing. 

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

This saddens me a bit.  I like Chucky in the booth.  I wonder who'll replace him?

Bring on JAWS!

...also, good for Chucky and the Raiders.  Let's see him put his money where his mouth is (and not the other way around).  Should be fun times in Vegas, looking forward to catching a game out there!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flemingd said:

I'm curious why they would wait if so.  Is Gruden calling playoff games and they want him to be able to maintain some semblance of neutrality?

Rooney rule likely the main reason. 

4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I would like Jaws.  I feel like I learn about football every time I listen to Jaws announce.

Ditto!  Remember those analysis shows he used to do on ESPN?  Can't remember the name...they were fun to watch.

Edited by CowboysDiehard

4 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Ditto!  Remember those analysis shows he used to do on ESPN?  Can't remember the name...they were fun to watch.

NFL Matchup? (Cut the cord some time ago so maybe wrong.)  Regardless isn't Jaws currently a free agent? 

• Thanks 1

Gruden is set to call the Titans-Chiefs game this weekend. So they may want to wait until after that to make the announcement, if it is really a done deal.

I came across this article earlier today, it is from Oct/Nov 2016. Seems odd that they'd hire a guy who isn't in favor of them moving to Las Vegas.

Also saw other articles with interviews of him recently saying "I wasn't offered an ownership stake, but I might be interested in the Raiders job if offered".

14 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

10 years for a head coach is ridiculous, especially a coach who hasn't coached anyone anywhere in over a decade. Only the Raiders...

+1, this is how you ruin franchises.  I expect Carr will be going full goth by the end of the year. 

8 minutes ago, MustOfBeenDrunk said:

I don't get it .....

6.5 mil to sit in a booth ( less than 40 hrs per week of work )

10 mil to work your azz off putting in 80 hrs per week

Chance to be a championship coach again, with his original team, who he is a big fan of. Coaching them as they move to Vegas and get a big stage for his ego? Win SB with more than one team. A chance ot prove it wasn't a fluke with Bucs ("he did it with Dungy's team" talk).

Until the deal is really final and announced, and we find out about possible ownership stake we'll be in the dark. There could be other factors at work. But this also makes Gruden the highest paid NFL coach, the bottom of the top were making less than he did in the booth (brother Jay, OBrien, McCarthy). When he was asked he said he was not offered ownership stake, but he could be referring to an actual contract offer he needs to sign, which may not really happen until after this weekend. (ESPN may have told him he cannot sign an NFL coaching contract and call the playoff game.) Otherwise why wait to announce this DONE DEAL until Tuesday, why not today since we all know already?

Should be interesting in the booth for Chiefs game tomorrow, see if they talk about it at all, or avoid it completely.

Edited by stevegrab

Yes the KC game should be fun

“Despite Gruden having a good relationship with Andy Reid dating to their days together on the Packers’ staff in the 1990s, the Chiefs presumably don’t want the Raiders’ next head coach to have access to their preparations.”

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

1 hour ago, MustOfBeenDrunk said:

I don't get it .....

6.5 mil to sit in a booth ( less than 40 hrs per week of work )

10 mil to work your azz off putting in 80 hrs per week

Do you have a source for his current salary?  That's ludicrous for an announcer if true.  ESPN is also doing all kinds of crazy stuff with their talent, so who knows what conversations they have had with him prior to now.

On Wednesday, January 03, 2018 at 8:33 PM, keggerz said:

I have a source very close to the situation and they have confirmed that Gruden has already signed a deal with the Raiders. I know that the speculation is that he would be coach but now it's not speculation.

props to Keg on having this info a full 36+ hours before the stories were breaking, makes me wonder who is source is and why guys like Adam Schefter didn't break this story around the time Keg told us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flemingd said:

Do you have a source for his current salary?  That's ludicrous for an announcer if true.  ESPN is also doing all kinds of crazy stuff with their talent, so who knows what conversations they have had with him prior to now.

Yes every sports talk show and I did a quick google search http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/highest-paid-espn-jon-gruden-report-monday-night-football-jon-gruden-salary

4 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

10 years for a head coach is ridiculous, especially a coach who hasn't coached anyone anywhere in over a decade. Only the Raiders...

Beyond ridiculous. Let's see if it's like the NFL players' contracts where 20-30 million is guaranteed and the rest is made up nonsense.

I mean there's no way someone's going to guarantee a 10-year coach's contract. Not even The Dark Hoodie could get that, and he might deserve it.