[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gruden the new Raiders coach

keggerz

I expect we'll hear some kind of correction about this.  It's not fully guaranteed, it's got team options, it's got conditions, something along those lines.  Those kinds of things never get initially reported, everyone's just too rushed to be the first one to break the story and analyze it.

• Like 1

I think coaches and general managers are underpaid.  Joe Schmo quarterbacks make $18 million.  The best players at every position except special teams make more than $10 million.  I think general managers and coaches are worth more than individual players.  The Raiders also had the added incentive to pay whatever it took to get Chucky because of their move to Las Vegas.  Having the Chuckster will create a lot of buzz for the team and they'll sell a lot more season tickets.  Starting off on the right foot is important when moving a franchise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LordOpie said:

My Broncos are a freaking mess. If the team -- whoever the team is, lol -- fired Elway and VJ and gave Gruden a 10 year contract, many fans would've supported that.

I think you could be very right about that. It amazes me though that people hear a name, in this case "Gruden," and get caught up in the idea of Gruden rather than who he actually was as a coach. Remember - this guy got fired from the Bucs, not exactly a tier 1 NFL franchise, for underperformance.

Sitting on his ass in a booth for 10 years has suddenly made this guy better? There's no chance. The hiring of Jack del Rio in the first place was a bad call and it seems like whomever made that bad call is probably making this one.

I agree about the buzz though for a Vegas move - that makes sense to me. Even though a "Sean McVay" would actually be way better for the franchise long-term, the psychology of a known name is bound to sell more.

9 minutes ago, stethant said:

I think you could be very right about that. It amazes me though that people hear a name, in this case "Gruden," and get caught up in the idea of Gruden rather than who he actually was as a coach. Remember - this guy got fired from the Bucs, not exactly a tier 1 NFL franchise, for underperformance.

Sitting on his ass in a booth for 10 years has suddenly made this guy better? There's no chance. The hiring of Jack del Rio in the first place was a bad call and it seems like whomever made that bad call is probably making this one.

I agree about the buzz though for a Vegas move - that makes sense to me. Even though a "Sean McVay" would actually be way better for the franchise long-term, the psychology of a known name is bound to sell more.

Sean McVay was an excellent hire in retrospect.  He did not create a buzz or sell tickets.  But clearly ownership did good.  Chucky won a Super Bowl in Tampa.  Basically all that has been good in the last 40 some years happened under him.  Lee Roy Selmon was pretty awesome, too.  For whatever that is worth.  Why does no one on this board appreciate a good coach?  According to homers on this board, Bill Belichick is the norm and every other coach is junk.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Sean McVay was an excellent hire in retrospect.  He did not create a buzz or sell tickets.  But clearly ownership did good.  Chucky won a Super Bowl in Tampa.  Basically all that has been good in the last 40 some years happened under him.  Lee Roy Selmon was pretty awesome, too.  For whatever that is worth.  Why does no one on this board appreciate a good coach?  According to homers on this board, Bill Belichick is the norm and every other coach is junk.

i knew who mcvay was....but didnt have much exposure to him prior to the rams hiring him....i saw about 10 minutes of him on the amazon all or nothing series in the last episode...and came away impressed...i can only imagine what hours and hours of interviews did for the rams.....that being said im not sure there are alot of him around....

34 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

According to some fans any coach whose team doesn't make the playoffs blows and should be fired. Some guy on another board is saying Gruden is taking a huge risk, if he fails (so far hasn't defined what that means) he'll be a hack and nobody will care what he thinks about football or anything else.  Which got a :rolleyes: from me

• Like 1